Oasis or No Oasis - That is the question

FlowerCo

Jun 17, 2012
Novato
State / Prov
CA
I am sure at some point soon I will make some of you laugh with questions that may seem silly to you but haven't been in the business long and doing my best to grow so thank you in advance for your help. :)

I'm hoping the picture will show up. I have a bride that wants her centerpieces to have this look/feel. Would you use oasis or fill up with pitosporum first and then add flowers? She wants hydrangeas for her mid-August wedding and it's been so hot here I'm super nervous. Thinking about asking her to consider a replacement.
THougths? Feedback?

All appreciated.

TIA!

Attachments

• Centerpiece1-7.jpg
    Centerpiece1-7.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 61
Morning.... depends some on the exact container you're going to use. If it's deep enough, I would try to do it in open water, with perhaps a grid of clear Oasis tape to support the center blooms, and greens.

If the container is shallow, then I would likely use Oasis, but line the bowl with silver mylar first.

I always try to do open water whenever possible, as the flowers do better. You could do that same style of design in 6-8" cubes. The straight sides make it a bit easier...

I agree with Boss...whenever possible, I skip the foam and opt for straight water.
Depending on the size of the container and especially if they are renting it, I design in a dish which fits into the silver container. The guests can easily pop the dish out of the container and take the flowers home.

lately my pittosporum has had long enough laterals that I can bind them together, make a kubari inside the bowl and plop in the flowers - in water, held with the grid of stems, easy and quick to do. Price to me is key, I can do these quickly with less greens and production line. No use of extra money for container and trying to cover all that darned oasis.

It's almost always better to work without foam unless absolutely neccessary. In my experience, flowers will remain stronger and last longer directly in clean water. The image of the garden roses in the silver container should be no problem to construct without the use of foam - consider a loose or open french spiral style.

Reactions: FlowerCo
I normally go just for water, but it looks so shallow to me I would be worried that they would flip out. If it was me I would use foam (as long as it is mercury glass and wouldn't show).