Ok.......I was wrong, you guys were right!

bootcampguy

Jul 14, 2010
Ormond Beach
www.afloralboutique.com
State / Prov
Florida
For 30 years we have built a shop that clearly respects the dollars spent with us and offer a level of service that most can't (in our area at least). We built that business partially on the backs of the WS. Every order that we've ever filled, has met the value and quality that should for any rec., our future prospect. We have always marketed "very" aggressively and have been called on the carpet a time or two by the big two. I was always convinced that my funnel would suffer if I let go of a service, since 30% of our new accounts are people pulled over from those orders. But after a series of events last year, I just got tired of seeing that shadow at the front door. I terminated FTD and began to search for a way to fill that funnel to replace these orders/customers.

I found it this VD and is was something called "better customer service". Last year we delivered just over 400 orders (13/14) and 100 or them we're .coms. I am one of those who believes in preparation and spend well over 40 hours planning every holiday and always said, "let that machine run". Some we're good values and others weren't. Last year 95% of my complaints (I know Boss, I know) we're from these orders. The phone rang off the hook with everything you could imagine. These orders took up so much of my and my wifes time, that other people and things got neglected.........

This year, we delivered just under 400 for this year and the phone has yet to ring. So that means we had a net gain. All business's done by 2pm and then the residences by 6pm. Today I started calling a few larger accounts asking about the product and doing some "customer maintenance". Several people have called to thank us for or service and my daughter and clerk all agreed that the place went so smooth this year. I had so much more time to focus on the drivers, quality of the product and I actually got to work on the tractor trailer for a few hours pulling orders. I guess I had forgotten just how much "the middleman" can be a "time vampire".

I appreciate all of you guys and thanks for putting up with this hard-head!!

yup- I refused to be a WS. I guess I should quit whining that I didn't meet my small goal. I haven't had NOT one complaint. Not even one. But I have had those all too important calls of "she loved them!"

Rick, isn't it fabulous? Congrats on seeing the light, and now reaping those rewards. For someone like you, who already puts an abundance of energy into customer service, you would not have believed how much MORE you could do until you actually experienced it.

Temporary hijack [MENTION=2945]shannonlovesflowers[/MENTION] ~ I kept forgetting to mention that when you were comparing sales to FBML. If I recall, Bettina insisted on accepting every single one of the wire orders so you are trying to go against some untrue numbers.

Reactions: bootcampguy and CHR
I had so much more time to focus on the drivers, quality of the product and I actually got to work on the tractor trailer for a few hours pulling orders. I guess I had forgotten just how much "the middleman" can be a "time vampire".
You got the garlic and the stake to kill the vampire ~ and get to reap the benefits. :)

Thanks for sharing your tremendous post.... 'tis true. LOCAL orders are our future. Everything else is just spinning wheels and making busy... especially this holiday, when costs of product and labor are high. There's no such thing as 'excess capacity' at V Day.

Rick, isn't it fabulous? Congrats on seeing the light, and now reaping those rewards. For someone like you, who already puts an abundance of energy into customer service, you would not have believed how much MORE you could do until you actually experienced it.

Temporary hijack @shannonlovesflowers ~ I kept forgetting to mention that when you were comparing sales to FBML. If I recall, Bettina insisted on accepting every single one of the wire orders so you are trying to go against some untrue numbers.

Temporary hijack back- Nope- I was ONLY comparing local sales- not stupid WS sales. The coolest thing is this since I had muy soft opening. Not one day- not even ONE has there been a 'shut out' a day with no sales. Even the day after Valentines day I thought..oh crap- no sales. but then we got ONE- yeah I know it's only one but we did get it! Then today we got more and a not too shabby day. There were days at FBML when we would only get one WS order and that was it! Those days really sucked. BUT we marketed pretty well and I bought a big Kelly green and white sign that says "GRAND OPENING" out at the street and I swear to all that is good and holy and everything else that I will leave up that dang sign until the city makes me take it down!

Reactions: Dee Dee
you know guys and girls, I DON'T and WON'T defend the wire services, but, we retain membership in FTD, and USE the services that we require, and also SEND a ton of customers DIRECT to your shops, sometimes from OUR shop......
2 things we've "learned".....we actually WILL FILL incoming from NON Shops....$100.00 bucks and up, no ifs or buts, we get an 82% completion rate, and NO complaints, and 2, we send a lot, AND get a lot, and accept NOTHING less than $50.00, and somehow, this machine STILL works!
We negotiated our position with our WS, and made it break even, from the onset, and have gained over 230 new customers, over the last year & a half, as a result, ALONG with being THE ONLY outlet for the Dundas Little Theatre, for tickets, AND the ONLY OUTLET for B&B bookings in our area.......and somehow, it works!
We DO NOT STRESS over wire service orders, we just DON'T, but, it's NOT just something you can "turn off" when SO many clients EXPECT US to be the line of defense, on both sides, and WE ARE....even our LOCAL MP (minister of parliament) trusts US, over online, or the "branded" floral sellers..
Dinosaurs STILL have great value.....you fill UP on them, at your local service station!...:)

so happy for you!

This was our first valentines without a WS and it wonderful. Sold higher quality product and designs( our designs not theirs), less stress, fewer labor hours, great volume (about the same as with wireservice), did not run out of roses for our locals because of filling for WS, and only one complaint!

Reactions: bootcampguy
We were finished with FTD after 45 years on 12/31 we kept Teleflora for the time being but shut off the Dove on 2/12 our sales were up by 17.5% company wide and 21% at main shop and zero zip complaints. There is tremendous backlash against the wire services and the dogs for this holiday I believe we are finally starting to win this war but we can not quit now its time to keep the pedaal on the metal as they say.

Reactions: bootcampguy and CHR
not to hijack this tread... but I had a caller this am... the FTD rep looking to sign us up, for only $39/month.

sorry not interested.

I agree that the holidays are so sssmmmoooootttthhhh without the wires! Our first major holiday without them, I was super nervous because it seemed TOO easy and I was sure sales were way down. Not so....just easier! Rick, you are correct-they are a real time vampire and you don't even really realize it until they are gone!