Paul Goodman

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgoodman

Jan 13, 2007
Jenks
State / Prov
OK
I joined the floral industry in 1974. Have written Floral Fanance since 1982. Glad to be a part of Flower Chat.

Reactions: 3 people
Hey Paul

I joined the floral industry in 1974. Have written Floral Fanance since 1982. Glad to be a part of Flower Chat.
Hey Paul. I had made a post several weeks ago about your different videos that I had gotten from AFS. In fact, we are planning to have a sales meeting in the next week or so to watch one of your videos to fresh our "skills".

Hi, Clay

Clay - you are a glutton for punishment. Marie Ackerman and I were talking about those videos last week at a class in OKC. Hope you enjoy them. Have a great holiday weekend....Paul

Reactions: 2 people
Welcome to Flowerchat.

I look forward to your input on our many business challenges!

tracy

VERY good to have you here Paul. A huge welcome.

Hi Paul -

Glad to have you on board. Your articles and workshops are tremendously valuable to the industry.

Is asking you for information on this chatboard similar to asking a doctor for free medical advice at a party? I'll try anyway....

I think I garned this information from one of your columns. How accurate am I? (or how dated is this information?)

Percentage of Gross Sales

· Cost of Goods Sold for Arrangements – 26% - 33%
· Total Cost of Goods Sold – 32% - 38%
· Payroll (including payroll taxes and benefits) *
with the owner/manager on the payroll — 30%
with the owner/manager not on the payroll — 20%
· Facilities Expenses (Rent, Utilities, Repairs & Maintenance, facil. insurance) – 10%
· All other expenses put together will run from 16% to 22%.
· Advertising – the industry average is 3% of sales.
· Net Profit before tax – the industry average is 5%.
Your target should be 10%. There are many shops that make 15%. These figures assume the owner/manager is on the payroll. If not, add 8% - 10% to these numbers.

The average sales volume of a retail florist with a payroll in the US is $250,000. Shops without a payroll average $60,000.

Valerie in New Hampshire

Welcome Paul Goodman

I got my start with floral software with "rosebud" back when Lonnie Moore was all of the support staff. I know your accounting ideas were in that package. Have now been FAS for over ten years. I read " Floral Accounting" a long time ago. Welcome to Flower Chat. I just arrived a couple of weeks ago.

Dave Mischler

Hi Paul -

Glad to have you on board. Your articles and workshops are tremendously valuable to the industry.

Is asking you for information on this chatboard similar to asking a doctor for free medical advice at a party? I'll try anyway....

I think I garned this information from one of your columns. How accurate am I? (or how dated is this information?)

· Facilities Expenses (Rent, Utilities, Repairs & Maintenance, facil. insurance) – 10%
Your target should be 10%. There are many shops that make 15%. These figures assume the owner/manager is on the payroll. If not, add 8% - 10% to these numbers.

The average sales volume of a retail florist with a payroll in the US is $250,000. Shops without a payroll average $60,000.

Valerie in New Hampshire

Welcome aboard Paul, Very much enjoyed having you for our workshop in Buffalo NY ( TF ED Unit)
I too am wondering if the AFS Videos are dated info. Still accurate for todays florist? If Yes I may drag them out for a staff workshop.

Debbie McKinstry
Maidas Floral Shop Inc.
Oswego NY

Hi Paul -

Welcome Paul! I too have used these formulas and stats since 1994, hope they are still dead on!

Welcome aboard Paul! We met at the SAF Convention here in California last month. Your views will be read with much interest here on FlowerChat!

Industry Benchmarks

Valerie - Your memory scores 100! You benchmarks are correct. I hope you are hitting every one of them. Paul

Hi Paul -

Valerie in New Hampshire

Welcome aboard Paul! We met at the SAF Convention here in California last month. Your views will be read with much interest here on FlowerChat!

Thanks, Frank. I'm beginning to find my way around. Hope all is well with you. Paul

Memories

I got my start with floral software with "rosebud" back when Lonnie Moore was all of the support staff. I know your accounting ideas were in that package. Have now been FAS for over ten years. I read " Floral Accounting" a long time ago. Welcome to Flower Chat. I just arrived a couple of weeks ago.

Dave Mischler

Dave - you bring back good memories. Lonnie was great to work with. Hope all is well. Paul

PMF Videos

Welcome aboard Paul, Very much enjoyed having you for our workshop in Buffalo NY ( TF ED Unit)
I too am wondering if the AFS Videos are dated info. Still accurate for todays florist? If Yes I may drag them out for a staff workshop.

Debbie McKinstry
Maidas Floral Shop Inc.
Oswego NY

Debbie - I remember the Buffalo workshop (actually held in Rochester if I remember correctly) well. The PMF tapes are still accurate for percentages. The average orders sizes are out of date, but the principles still stand. Hope all is well. Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.