QUITTing TELEFLORA???

Status
Not open for further replies.
LIke the shoe commercial says "Just Do it" We have been WS free for over a year. Yes incoming money losing orders are gone. Incoming 100% orders are up. Oh yeah those much touted out going orders. We send more of them now and I still get charge a $10.00 fee to do it as a service for the customer (which I am very up front about with the customer by the way). But If the customer wants to order a 50.00 order They are told that I charge 10.00 svc fee for sending, and they if they don't want the delivery to come out of the 50.00 order we add 10.00 del for the receiving florist. The customer is happy, I am happy and the receiving florist is getting the full 50.00 + the delivery with nothing out for the cream skimming WS. Yeah I know if you are sending a bazillion orders a month it is easier to hit the button on the WS machine but I can send a lot of orders for 300 to 400 a month. Profits up cost down. nuff said

I wonder if any of us feel somewhat ashamed of this type of thread??
All these years, and we are STILL hashing the wire service business, and for all the same reasons.
Toto needs to write a book, as a reminder of the past, Bloomz needs to write a book, on the floral business of the future (he knows things), and the rest of us have got to get a grip.......
Wire service is NOT for everyone, never was, but, when it WAS cheap, many of us felt compelled to have as many wire services as possible...it was good business, when membership was the cost of a magazine subscription.
As everyone's costs rose, many of us dropped all but one or two ws's and aligned ourselves with the one that gives/gave us the best bang for our buck....as in do the math, make the decision.
Why is it so hard for most of you drop a ws??...why do others have to explain why they stay??..I don't get it???
. A wire service is like a tailored suit...it either fits, or it doesn't, and you CERTAINLY wouldn't pay a lot of money for something that doesn't "fit" so why DO YOU???...once you BUY that suit, you want the BEST for your money, yet, you're willing to pay sticker price for WS membership and tools, when you "haggle" over the cost of a bunch of flowers, that a local vendor, WITH truck, and overhead expenses, brings RIGHT TO YOUR DOOR.
Which one is more important to YOUR business??
Florists are their own worst enemies....doing the same things over and over again....there's a "description" OR "prescription" for that!!
Florists "trade" orders amongst themselves, as a service to their clients....DON'T need a wire service for that...florists buy and sell flowers and plants...don't need a wire service for that!!...florists work hard and long hours, DON'T need a wire service for THAT......there' plenty of credit card processors out there...DON'T need a wire service for that...way too often florists can get great deals at nickel and dime product brokers, that often sell off job lots of wire service containers...don't need a wire service for that!!
And yet, "some" of us still "NEED" a wire service, and there's a cost involved, and we "accept" that, 'cause" it's negotiable...it's ALWAYS negotiable, and IF you cannot negotiate a neutral or surplus cash flow, with a wire service, then you DO NOT NEED, a wire service...if you're a good shop, MOST of us will "find" you!!
ON a positive note, this recession/depression/downturn is a real eye opener for ALL people in business, and WILL TEACH life long lessons, about the "values" of your life......and which decisions are most important!!
Always remember...FAMILY FIRST...leave a little room for GOD!!...neither grow on trees!!

AAAAHHHHGGGHHH - Mikey - MY EYES, MY EYES !!!!!!

lol

seriously, You make some great points and I agree wholeheartedly. There was indeed a time that a wire service was a neccesary part of the florist business......but not anymore.

You're right, JB and Toto do need to collaborate on a book about wire services.

Reactions: TOTO
Mikey -

We have new members who are interested in this topic, despite some of us old timers experiencing 'deja vu all over again'. ;)

You'll also note that since the beginning days of FC, a number of the 'old timers' have changed their views about different WSs and/or WSs in general (present company included).

If the WSs were static and predictable, the topic wouldn't come up often - but they're not so I expect this debate to continue, especially in light of the economy.

Mikey -

We have new members who are interested in this topic, despite some of us old timers experiencing 'deja vu all over again'. ;)

You'll also note that since the beginning days of FC, a number of the 'old timers' have changed their views about different WSs and/or WSs in general (present company included).

If the WSs were static and predictable, the topic wouldn't come up often - but they're not so I expect this debate to continue, especially in light of the economy.

the wisdom of Solomon.....

Ah YES, 'deja vu

Mikey -

Tis so true Cathy!

What was then, surely is not now!

Mikey and I, back in the day, always had some heated discussions on the future of FTDI and how it would effect us WEE BEES down the line.

Then again, Bloomz and I went back and forth over our respective cheerleading efforts regarding " HIS LOVE FOR THE DOVE " and " MY LOVE FOR THE FAMILY ".

Then, we both did a 180! JB for MAS and MEE for COCCARI.

Darn iffen DA DOVE didn't come along and change their migration flight path, fire Gregg, launch their own DOT.CON consumer website, and try to STEAL MY STUFF too, just like FTDI was DOO-ING. Will any of them ever come up with NEWER and BETTER IDEAS to benefit THEIR OWN FLORIST'S WALLETS, rather than working at filling their own? That's rhetorical, since I already know the answer.

However, that was before I had come to realize the full effects of small bob's bipolar reign of TERROR on US WEE BEE FAMILY MEMBERS.

Back on December 24th, 2003, Mikey went ballistic when he heard the rumor of small bob shutting down the FTDI bulletin board. As BOSS put it, bipolar couldn't take the heat followed with Ryan's comment that, bipolar closed the kitchen.

http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1782

It's always FUN FORE MEE, to go do a look back to see WHERE WEE WERE THEN as compared to WHERE WEE BEE NOW!

Especially since, and as Cathy stated, FC has new members who are interested in this topic.

I really like Ryan's FC feature where you can click on SEARCH at the top right of the FC homepage, select ADVANCE SEARCH, enter in the user name of a poster, scroll down to SORT RESULTS BY, select IN DESCENDING ORDER, check POSTS, and click SEARCH NOW.

OMG! Talk about taking a TIME WARP trip back in time, OH MY!

As the old Edmund Burke quote goes: “Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.”

(British Statesman and Philosopher 1729-1797)
:egypt

We let tele flora go over a year ago. And yes we are just fine also. This is one of the reasons we have joined on flower chat. We thought this would be a great way to connect to other florist through out the US. And we are so happy we do not have to send TF that huge check every month.

The surety bond is like a safety deposit for TF. You will get it back after 12 months. Actually i pay $100 a month and I was told that $1000 would be returned after a year and $200 would be returned only if I terminated the contract. What other services do you pay for? I am thinking about canceling the maintenance contract, advertising (I read here that it is waste of money), the website (will do my own) and the quality program. They also charge $1.50 for each order after taking 27% of the gross. What's up with that? Is that normal?

Reactions: 1 person
Hi,

I had teleflora and ftd years ago and all I did was Owe them. I did work out the numbers and we figured it was about 30% to them and 70% to the shop, although
the shop had to pay for the flowers, container, rent and so on. I truely believe you have to do a Volume business with them in order to profit decently.

I have had Flower Shop Network and I believe Amy, from FSN will be calling you.
I have been pleased with their service and pricing. My one web site is done by them too. Amy works with you as to what your needs are. Best of luck.

Marie , Flowers by Marie

Reactions: Cathy44
Status
Not open for further replies.