Rainbow Roses Available Direct (For Valentines)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rainbow roses and Oprah...Wow! That would be a sensational presentation to make American consumers aware of this variety. I haven't tried selling this rose yet, but perhaps Valentine's Day is the perfect time to test interest in the rose.

I just had the "In Like Flynn" conversation recently with two customers. They insisted the phrase was "In Like Flint." I googled it while they were at the shop. Interesting reading:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/198700.html

Have never heard the "In like Flynn" but, get Oprah to do the Rose thing and "Bob's your Uncle!"

In Like Flint

Rainbow roses and Oprah...Wow! That would be a sensational presentation to make American consumers aware of this variety. I haven't tried selling this rose yet, but perhaps Valentine's Day is the perfect time to test interest in the rose.

I just had the "In Like Flynn" conversation recently with two customers. They insisted the phrase was "In Like Flint." I googled it while they were at the shop. Interesting reading:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/198700.html
Thanks.....I guess I could be half right then.

The 1967 James Coburn starred in the film, In Like Flint. This was a sequel to the 1966 Our Man Flint and presumably the screenwriters, on the lookout for another 'Flint' phrase, opted for a play on 'In like Flynn'. There's now some confusion between the two phrases and some use 'In like Flint' as if it were synonymous with 'In like Flynn'.

Thanks.....I guess I could be half right then.

The 1967 James Coburn starred in the film, In Like Flint. This was a sequel to the 1966 Our Man Flint and presumably the screenwriters, on the lookout for another 'Flint' phrase, opted for a play on 'In like Flynn'. There's now some confusion between the two phrases and some use 'In like Flint' as if it were synonymous with 'In like Flynn'.

Clay,

Correct! I thought you would appreciate the information in the link. I always use the phrase "In Like Flynn" but I was surprised to read that "In Like Flint" was commonly used as well. Good stuff!

Oprah and Rainbow Roses

Wow, would be great ! Very good suggestion to try to ask Oprah to give the audience a Real Rainbow Rose on valentines day. A "creative single-rainbow-rose arangement", a special gift for a special audience"

Does anybody know who is the personal florist of Oprah ? I can give it a try and send him/her an email with this suggestion.

Peter,

The Oprah idea is terrific, though I don't know who she would use as a florist.

We have sold your roses with some success, though only occasionally for dance recitals, school plays etc etc. I do wish they were more accessible, so having a source besides local wholesalers who may or may not have them is a good idea.

Earlier in this thread, the question was raised about the requirements to purchase Rainbow Roses directly from you - your site does not appear to require proof of a Business License, or Re-sale Certificate. It appears that anyone who finds your site would be able to purchase these directly, including consumers.

Is your website set up for florists/retailers/wholesalers only, or any consumer?

tracy

website happyroses

Peter,

Is your website set up for florists/retailers/wholesalers only, or any consumer?

tracy

Good question. Through the internet it is difficult to exlude people.

With general information/images we want to let people know, so everybody in the world, that Rainbow Roses exist and how these look like and for example how you can have long vase life with these roses.

However, we prefer not to sell directly to those consumers : the Rainbow Rose is worth much more in an creative arrangement. Therefore we do not sell arrangements/bouquets per single stem, 7 stems, a dozen or so, but it starts with 20 only Rainbow Roses stems. I cannot imagine that a single consumer buys just 20 stems of Rainbow Roses. However, a florist will, because he can make arangements and sell these to different consumers.

Hope this answers your question,

Kindest regards,
Peter.

Good question. Through the internet it is difficult to exlude people.

With general information/images we want to let people know, so everybody in the world, that Rainbow Roses exist and how these look like and for example how you can have long vase life with these roses.

However, we prefer not to sell directly to those consumers : the Rainbow Rose is worth much more in an creative arrangement. Therefore we do not sell arrangements/bouquets per single stem, 7 stems, a dozen or so, but it starts with 20 only Rainbow Roses stems. I cannot imagine that a single consumer buys just 20 stems of Rainbow Roses. However, a florist will, because he can make arangements and sell these to different consumers.

Hope this answers your question,

Kindest regards,
Peter.
If I'm understanding you correclty, if a consumer/customer wished to purchase say 20, 40, 120 etc stems your lovely Happy Roses, they would be able to through your site? Just not individually, or in increments less than 20 - correct?

tracy

Peter, we've been selling rainbow roses and here's our experience from a retailer's perspective.

(1) Rainbow roses are polarizing, love-or-hate items. What I mean is that some people absolutely love them, while some people hate them. They think the dyed roses are too "unnatural." There's not much we can do about it, because that's their preference.

Now because *some* people don't like them, we don't/can't use rainbow roses in any regular arrangement. It would be too risky to do that (also it's visually odd to mix rainbow roses with other "natural" flowers). So we sell rainbow roses only when a customer specifically asks for them. This certainly limits the sales potential and any campaign, Oprah or whatever, surely will increase the sales of rainbow roses.

(2) Most rainbow rose buyers buy only a small quantity, like one stem, three stems. I don't think it's necessarily because of the price. We charge $8/stem, so we are talking about $8, $24 purchase here (in comparison, we charge $55 for one-dz regular roses arranged in a vase).

I think they are buying rainbow roses because of curosity, or WOW factor if you will. Now here's what's important... *If* they are buying rainbow roses for curiosity reasons, once they've seen it, they may or may not buy again especially for that kind of money ($8/stem).

So in summary, these are what we've obseved so far. Some people love rainbow roses and other people dislike them. Most people, however, are curious about them (therefore buy a few stems to see "what's in it.")

If my analysis is correct, Oprah campaign will definitely increase the sales of rainbow roses tremendously. But after a while, people wil get used it (especially if ProFlowers/FTD start selling them) and eventually lose the curiosity factor. You would have made a ton of money in the process though. :)

Regarding Oprah, her statement a couple of years ago regarding silk flowers:
She did not like anything that wasn't true to nature. She hated the blue roses that a person had in their room as decoration. She didn't like the faux flowers that were off color. Natural was her word.
I'm not sure she would speak on something she didn't believe in. But it could always be approached through her producers, I would imagine.

Regarding Oprah, her statement a couple of years ago regarding silk flowers:
She did not like anything that wasn't true to nature. She hated the blue roses that a person had in their room as decoration. She didn't like the faux flowers that were off color. Natural was her word.
I'm not sure she would speak on something she didn't believe in. But it could always be approached through her producers, I would imagine.

If Oprah doesn't like it, it won't fly..period. She is very much in charge of those things..

cheaper rainbow roses ?

Looking around at flowerchat.com I found a discussion about where to buy Rainbow Roses :
http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12622&highlight=rainbow+roses

Some options might be cheaper than directly at our website, it seems some wholesalers are more wise than others...

The problem is that we cannot supply cheaper because of our export/transport cost. Some Dutch exporters together with USA-importers and wholesale companies can do that cheaper (bigger quantities of total ordered flowers and so on).

And I did not know that www.flowerbuyer.com also auctions the Rainbow Roses, might also be a cheaper option.

However, if a florist wants to buy Rainbow Roses and he is not able to find a supplier or wholesaler that wants to cooperate, finally this florist can order directly at our website.

Kindest regards,

Peter.

Didn't Preston Bailey do Oprah's 50th? I think he also worked on other projects with her.

I don't know what to think about the rainbow roses.... It's technically impressive that each petal has a different color, but I personally like a more natural looking rose.

Peter - send Oprah some!

Weiland

Although I do not know her personal florist, Weiland in Chicago has delivered there and knows some about how to get stuff in.

Donna

Status
Not open for further replies.