Status
Not open for further replies.

inferno63

Jul 16, 2007
Waynesfield
www.kbgardens.com
State / Prov
Ohio
I think the small cube and bowl designs are just adorable. I have been adding them to my cooler mix and they don't sell. But take the same stems and put them in a tall rose vase and out the door they go. Cube or 8" vase with the same stems = same price in most cases. Customers are put off by the size for the price. Are these designs selling well for you? Maybe it is the area I live in. Any other Ohio florists have this issue?

Our consumers are small town and older, they prefer more show for the money. Time and again, every other vase, basket or table design will sell before a cube. It really depends on your consumers. And we get few orders for them off our website also.

Cubes

We have sold a few cube designs. I agree that most customers want more bang for their buck. They want that "WOW" of a big arrangement. We are in a small town so most of our customers seem to be very traditional in their likes (ala babies breath and greenery with roses, etc.) Cubes work well for broken stemmed or shorter flowers instead of just having to throw them out. We will offer a cube every now and then but definitely not a frequent seller here. Customers would rather see a full tall arrangement.
Personally I agree that cube designs are really cute. They can be wicked simple too. They have definitely grown on me. I wasn't a fan in the beginning.

All cubes, all sizes. people love the look.

Our customers seem to like the larger vases too. They feel that they are getting their moneys worth. The only orders we get for the cubes are wire-in orders. This area is more traditional in their taste

They seem to be more popular with the florists in the Cleveland area and the suburbs. Not as popular with our florists in the more country areas.

Reactions: master J
Our customers seem to like the larger vases too. They feel that they are getting their moneys worth. The only orders we get for the cubes are wire-in orders. This area is more traditional in their taste

I rarely get an order for a cube vase. Yes, I do think people that purchasing a taller vase is getting more for their money.
But I have used them often for weddings and happy with that because they work up so quickly.

we sell about 1/2 and 1/2 tall arrangements and cube designs.

Try making your cube designs monochromatic... See what happens then.
and don't "cute" 'em up with birds or butterflies. Keep them sophisticated.
If that don't work, keep showing them in your cooler, soon you will find people will want them.

we sell about 1/2 and 1/2 tall arrangements and cube designs.

Try making your cube designs monochromatic... See what happens then.
and don't "cute" 'em up with birds or butterflies. Keep them sophisticated.
If that don't work, keep showing them in your cooler, soon you will find people will want them.

Another tip to try is to reduce the number of flowers used and the types of flowers used. Reduce the quantity of flowers by using gridding, foliages, bits of curly willow, etc. and then use lesser expensive blossoms.

A good example of what I am talking about can be found on RC's website www.oberers.com and looking under the 'Samplers' tab.

At least in our area......the smaller in physical size the design is...........equates to a lesser expensive price point.

I will try this advice and let you know what happens. I am gridding one and making it as Shannon suggested. I will post a pic here and pop it in the cooler today since it is sweetest day. If I can lower the price, they might like them. :)

Since we are discussing cubes and bowls, anyone have a good, inexpensive
source?
I am also into trendy terraniums lately, and have been using both
cubes and bubbles and filling with cool succulents.

We sell mostly cube or low cylinder arrangements. But, I will say alot of it has to do with how we sell it to our customers. We are in an affluent area, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I basically ask if they would like a "french, european low lush arrangement" or a "more traditional medium to tall arrangement" and 9 out of 10 times the customer likes the sound of a "french european look" better and goes with that.

Ok, Here it is:

Purple cube, 3 red carns, 2 stems yarrow, 1 stem purple cushion mum, 1 stem green button, 3 stems solidago...... $24.99.

Please offer opinions on design and price. I am a willing student.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: BloomingFlorida
One of my most popular designs is a 6-inch cube containing river rock, 4 cymbidium orchids cut from a stem and a bit of seeded eucalyptus and decorative wire. I float the cymbids , making sure that the stems are under water, add the wire and euc seeds
and it's done in 5 minutes. I also do a smaller version with 2 cymbids in both 4-inch cubes and 6-inch bubble bowls. We promote them as a great alternative to cuts in a vase for people visiting patients in hospital where space is usually at a premium, plus they only require a top-up of tap water now and then and they do not seem to mind the overheated hospital rooms.

Reactions: CHR
Someone mentioned cost of the cubes...

What was the cost of the purple cube? I's assuming it's a 4".

We sell mostly cube or low cylinder arrangements. But, I will say a lot of it has to do with how we sell it to our customers. We are in an affluent area, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I basically ask if they would like a "french, European low lush arrangement" or a "more traditional medium to tall arrangement" and 9 out of 10 times the customer likes the sound of a "french European look" better and goes with that.

I sell this way too- "we have our popular cube which is low and lush or would you like a taller, more traditional bouquet?" I also add that the cube (or bubble bowl) is perfect for a desktop or coffee table.

mine start at $35. I sell many of them in the $47-52.00 range.
here are a couple of mine-
fall cube.JPG

P8180154.JPG

Reactions: CHR and Twila
I sell this way too- "we have our popular cube which is low and lush or would you like a taller, more traditional bouquet?" I also add that the cube (or bubble bowl) is perfect for a desktop or coffee table.

mine start at $35. I sell many of them in the $47-52.00 range.
here are a couple of mine-
View attachment 8093

View attachment 8094

Those are really nice! I think the price points on those are good starting at $35 but I couldn't sell those at $35. Where I live they would equate the size with only $15 to $20. It is frustrating. I think the unrealistic perception of WS don't help with their $20 bouquets.

Of course, in Ohio where I live I watch TV real estate shows and am blown away that if my house was sitting somewhere in west, it would be worth 4 times what it is appraised at in Ohio. So the cost of living is really low in my area compared to others so they expect much more for much less around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.