Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy's Garden

Apr 7, 2008
Boulder, Colorado
www.boulderblooms.com
State / Prov
Colorado
I get about one bride per day who NEEDS teal flowers. Usually, I wind up talking them into other colors that coordinate well with the teal in the wedding- things like deep blues paired with spring greens, silver foliage, etc. I've used peacock feathers, ribbons, and even wire- those work for some of the more adventurous brides, but I've had at least one bride say she was going with 'silk teal flowers' instead. gag.

Has anyone else been hit over the head with requests for teal? Any favorite combinations?

As a silk flower wholesaler, we get many requests for teal and tiffany blue silk flowers from florists - so therefore there must be alot of brides out there asking for them! They don't always have to be "gag" - some are actually nice. Unfortunately in all of our worlds, "the bride is always right" - even when we hate the combination...

One idea - place a teal FloraLyte I by Acolytes inside a white flower. Will give a very unique look to the whole bouquet. Chances are good none of the bride's friends have had that at their weddings! Everyone uses FloraLytes for the table decor, inside vases, etc. We tend to forget that FloraLytes were originally designed to be placed in FLOWERS!

I have been slammed this year with 'Pool Blue' flower requests. But yes, every year we get tons of brides that "just NEED blue flowers"

We do our best, I wanted to hang a neon sign in our bridal area that said
' Name some blue flowers for me? ' as these brides NEVER know what flowers are blue. BUT they do know that they couldn't possibly have blue carns in thier stuff.

I jus tsigh and forge ahead - wish I could offer some better advice.

Reactions: shannonlovesflowers
We've seen a re-surgence of teal since last spring's proms - flashbacks to my 80's high school hey days!

I try really hard to point out to brides to not match the flowers to the dresses .... explaining that the floral accessories they are putting so much thought into may disappear on a like-colored background usually works. Accents of the same color ususally work, like the peacock feathers you mentioned, or ribbons ... for teals I would suggest flowers in yellows, pinks, purples, violets, oranges, reds, fuschias - depending on what level of va-va-va-voom colors she's comfortable with! Seems almost anything against teal needs to have some heavy color saturation ... pale colors would look too washed out.

Dee Dee- your neon sign idea made me laugh out loud! Hey, it's even worse when they decide that the flowers they want DO come in the colors they want- "Okay, I need teal tulips, teal roses, and teal anemones, mmkay?" Oh- we're doing a wedding this weekend with "pool blue" gel in absolutely EVERY piece of glassware... Guess that's one way to do it...

Part of the difficulty is that it seems like all of my brides are choosing ENTIRE color PALETTES that are hard to match with flowers. My bride today wanted teal, metallic gold, and gunmetal gray. The attendants area wearing gunmetal, so, "solid teal flowers!" Oh, and all 'wildflowers'. Sounds great!

Last, I just want to say that I didn't mean to step on any toes about the silks- I have seen some VERY beautiful silk bouquets put together- I just shudder thinking about Mom putting the bouquet together at 2am the morning before the wedding knowing nothing about what she's doing! Sarah, I would love it if you could send me some photos of bouquets with the teal floralytes. I've only ever used them in centerpieces, you're right!

Back to bidding...

Reactions: Dee Dee
Tracy you are right on! Flowers should not be the same color as the dresses. As for brides always being right... I really don't think so! Thats what we are here for, to help them match colors and to steer them in the right direction.

Thom, Thanks for that link...it's crazy man. You could get addicted to flipping those pages. Too bad it doesn't have a color chart number for each of the colors. Some I'd really like to use on websites, would save lots of customizing time using the chart.

I have been slammed this year with 'Pool Blue' flower requests. But yes, every year we get tons of brides that "just NEED blue flowers"

We do our best, I wanted to hang a neon sign in our bridal area that said
' Name some blue flowers for me? ' as these brides NEVER know what flowers are blue. BUT they do know that they couldn't possibly have blue carns in thier stuff.

I jus tsigh and forge ahead - wish I could offer some better advice.
my mothers day wedding is in pool blue and buttercreme....

it's a davids bridal color....

Lucy,
Honestly, teal is a goofy color best left alone. You can't compliment teal, it's just not a natural color. I try to recommend all white. I'm feeling ill.

Where do you find this stuff? :boggles:
It's pretty cool but I'm not sure what to do with it...

Hi Rewolf
I am addicted to design blogs. I love marketing and the marketers mind. I seek out visual stimulation all over the place. I find it enhances my mind when I have to view a blank room and paint a picture. Flowers are only burnt sienna, do you understand?

Reactions: fleuray
Shannon- I've never used this before! I've only ever used the spray type of dye. Does it run? Do you have any photos? The website is lacking in that department...
well my feeling about dyeing flowers is .....you could but why would you?
Dip dye runs is messy and is permanent....in buckets,on clothes on hands.
If the girls have to have tiffany blue I suggest we use beads,ribbon or even feathers.....God didn't make teal lilies...and for a darn good reason....they are ugly!!!!!! just sayin' :)

Reactions: Gigi
Hi Rewolf
I am addicted to design blogs. I love marketing and the marketers mind. I seek out visual stimulation all over the place. I find it enhances my mind when I have to view a blank room and paint a picture. Flowers are only burnt sienna, do you understand?

I do understand Thom and every post brings us a little closer to understanding your endless imagination... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.