Teal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dee Dee- your neon sign idea made me laugh out loud! Hey, it's even worse when they decide that the flowers they want DO come in the colors they want- "Okay, I need teal tulips, teal roses, and teal anemones, mmkay?" Oh- we're doing a wedding this weekend with "pool blue" gel in absolutely EVERY piece of glassware... Guess that's one way to do it...

Part of the difficulty is that it seems like all of my brides are choosing ENTIRE color PALETTES that are hard to match with flowers. My bride today wanted teal, metallic gold, and gunmetal gray. The attendants area wearing gunmetal, so, "solid teal flowers!" Oh, and all 'wildflowers'. Sounds great!

Last, I just want to say that I didn't mean to step on any toes about the silks- I have seen some VERY beautiful silk bouquets put together- I just shudder thinking about Mom putting the bouquet together at 2am the morning before the wedding knowing nothing about what she's doing! Sarah, I would love it if you could send me some photos of bouquets with the teal floralytes. I've only ever used them in centerpieces, you're right!

Back to bidding...

I will get my photographer to take some pictures when she is here on Thursday. I have pictures of the teal lights alone and in vases, but not actually in the flowers. Like I said... we (me included!) forget they are meant to go in the flowers! Our purchasing department reminded me of that a few weeks back...

Oh, and no offense taken about the silk flowers! I know they are not preferred for weddings. From the time I was a little girl I always said there would be no way I would carry silk at my own wedding, even though it would be so much cheaper for me. Times are changing though, and I think if I do get married anytime soon, I will end up with silk. At least I have access to the best!

I do agree that moms (unless they are moms who own floral shops or work in them) should stay far away from floral bouquets. I am planning an article for my blog about florists coping with "DIYITIS" soon.

perhaps there are no teal flowers I know of...

And I'm all about complimenting with the Pool blue...

BUT, if some bride is insistent that she MUST have TEAL flowers, dip it is the way to go.

Once the color dries, it shouldn't run.

Yes it is messy.

No, I wouldn't want teal flowers for myself.

If I cannot talk a customer into feathers, beads, ribbon, accessories, and they insist on dyed teal blue.... Well, dyed teal blue is what they will get.

I also would show them just exactly how it looks BEFORE they agree to it.

Lucy if you decide you need teal dip it and can't find it anywhere, I have a whole freakin' gallon of it.... I'm sure I could sell ya some. I'll be in the Denver area at the end of march if all goes as planned.....
Call me if you're interested.

Teal is making a come back whether we like it or not. Tiffany and Pool blue were the colors of 2008. This year Teal and Cobalt Blue are the "in" shades. Our clients are pretty on top of color trends and style and I have at least 10-15 weddings this year that have teal in one way or another. A lot of them are incorporating peacock feathers (subtly).

max

Modern color combos that go well with teal are:

Teal, emerald green, chocolate brown

Jewel tones

Teal, white, black

This is a wedding we did in October with Teal dresses:
ImageHandlerLarge.ashx

These are canvases made from www.bridalcanvas.com Which is a great site for seeing what real brides want. (Found this on Lisa Luck's facebook- Thanks Lisa!!)

Don't think of teal as you did in the 80's. Think of it as a rich, luxurious color.

And rewolf, I HATE the dusty pink/ sage green combo! I've done a few and gritted my teeth the whole time.

max

Well the pool blue being a 2008 color explains alot to me. My 'Yankee cheap' area has tons of girls that will go and buy last years DB stuff discounted to save a penny.
So..........this means I should see this well into 2010. Yikes!

I love the (giant) pic's Mocha posted though.

Lucy,
Honestly, teal is a goofy color best left alone. You can't compliment teal, it's just not a natural color. I try to recommend all white. I'm feeling ill.

Probably because the old teal is the color of a bruise or gangrene! (insert smiley face puking in toliet)

All of my teal and pool blue was in 2008. With some I took white hydrangea and tinted with just for flowers peacock color and added skyline roses, yellow gerbera and orchids. Also did some with sophie roses and heather. Also cream hydrangea surrounded by peacock feathers. Got one this year with that color and we are using lime green, creams, golds accents and peacock feathers.

Reactions: Tracy D'Amico
Get out the spray paint. I had to do a name funeral tribute today in blue. Not mixed flowers just based in Blue double xanth. Yuck. It looks terrible and they were warned but they will love it. There is no accounting for taste unfortunately. Spray some flowers teal and show the bride. If she loves it. Just go with it. But with any look she will hate the look and take your advice.

Wow, thanks AMY. I forgot BridalCanvas. I love your approach to teal. Instead of trying to match it, enrich it with blue. Your a star.

Loved the thread and learned a lot .Thanks .
Teresa

I LOVE the bridal canvas site--thanks for the link. That site plays music from one of my favorite movies--think I'll have to watch it tonight!

Edit--oh, I get it, different canvases are customized with their own music, etc. It takes me awhile, but I'll catch on to this technology stuff...

Ironically I just got the CD in the mail today from the photographer from the teal wedding. For some reason the dresses were a little more purple in the photos but teal in person.

Attached is the jewel toned palette.

Attachments

• Leslies Bouquets.jpg
    Leslies Bouquets.jpg
    783.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 329.jpg
    329.jpg
    805.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 326.jpg
    326.jpg
    808 KB · Views: 17
  • 502.jpg
    502.jpg
    787.2 KB · Views: 22
For some reason the dresses were a little more purple in the photos but teal in person.

Thats because blue or purple doesnt photograph well, something to do with wavelenghts and other stuff I dont understand.
Good job btw, I love the scabiosa in the brides bouquet.

Reactions: Mocha Rose
blue dye...

I have had good luck dyeing eskimo roses and getting a pale teal by using NEON blue food coloring drops in water and then letting the roses draw it up. it takes a couple days but the roses open nicely and have kind of a speckled effect.-- try it. I took a small bok of them surrounded by acacia to a bridal fair we did recently. of all the grand amazing bok's I displayed the blue one got the most inquiries. go figure. Initially I even hid it in the back of the booth, and people where walking through and right past the grand beautiful lillies and roses and such to view my simple dyed roses. They loved the mottled coloration too.
While we are on this subject-- I have been trying for 2 days now to get daisies to take up this same color mix-- without any luck. I have never dyed daisies before, any secrets I need to know???
Thanks mrflowermarket

Reactions: SpringCity
Status
Not open for further replies.