Teleflora and Team Floral

Aug 23, 2011
davenport
www.flowerpowerdavenport.com
State / Prov
fl
I am in the middle of the Team Floral Teleflora conference https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/966457528 . One of the details is a free 30 minute consult with a team floral rep, my one is scheduled for next week. Because this is through Teleflora I am skeptical that the information will get back to Teleflora or there is something I have never considered.

Have Teleflora done a really good thing to help florists or am I just too cynical. Has anybody done this already and what is their view on this company.

Reactions: 2 people
I do some consulting for shops and what I've seen is outdated. Things that we're popular at one time, just being re-visited. I also would strongly advocate that you don't put your marketing into the hands of an affiliate of a WS. There's plenty of free help out there, that is current and fresh for todays market. The main thing they stress is up-selling, which is totally off for todays economy and against all those who teach marketing today. That ceiling will break at some point from up-selling, then where do you go from here. Your customers then tries a competitor and saved money, thus resulting in loss LCV for you. The new trend is cross-selling or co-selling, that gives the customer an added value and brings more revenue into your store. If someone orders a vase arr, then offer a line of middle to high end vase (ours are from Poland) then you had value and exprerience to the mix. If they suggest a "secret shopper" program to you like with others, then run.............

the [MENTION=5135]bootcampguy[/MENTION] guy nailed it pretty much. I was invited to (pay to) participate years ago, and even then I felt their offerings were outdated. They were stand alone then. Interesting that they have teamed up with Teleflora... maybe trying to find a new way to keep the old gig going.

No thanks...

Would you feel comfortable handing out confidential info. I am concerned it would get to Teleflora some how. Generally I talk percentages, not dollar values.

When I do consulting, I ask to see everything. The percentages don't always tell the story, but the dollar amounts do. The answer is probably (nothing to fear), but I know of one store who had an full-fillment center open up after he trusted (another program, not TF) in his area. He thinks the number of 380K a year in ws business got someones attention.....................IMO, you should only look at TF as a vendor to send your orders through. Here's an email address that be worth your while. Email: [email protected] He does my bootcamps/seminars and has helped me triple my profits in 3 years. He offers free advice and he is not tied to anyone. The reason I say him first, your finances have to be spot on, or any amount of marketing won't help and could pull you down.

Um... NO. That's why I have a private accountant.

Agreed. I would not share ANY information with TF. WS are our (as independent florists) number one COMPETITOR. Despite what they claim, they are NOT looking out for your best interest. Their entire business model revolves around sucking the profit out of independent florists.

May I ask, have you considered getting rid of TF completely?

While chances are that Team Floral would not share the data directly with TF in a format that could be traced back to a single shop, I would still be leery of sharing such data with them. I would tho, share with someone like Rick that I know I can trust. More of a one on one basis and not as part of a broad group that does not share my same goals for, or opinions of the industry today.

I have relied on TeamFloral to help me get COGS and payroll costs under control, and to help with telephone sales. They will also focus on accounting, marketing, in/out wire business and advice on all sorts of other issues. I find Dan McManus (and his staff) to be very personable and helpful. I don't know what the promotion is with Teleflora, so can't advise you on that.
I would be shocked if any information was shared with anyone.
Just another perspective.

Reactions: Clarabella
I was with TeamFloral for several months. Their "audits" were good, but not EXACTLY what I was looking for. Through conversations with several of their staff, and Dan of course, they pretty much confirmed my thoughts on what was going on in my biz situation. I did NOT sign up thru any Teleflora plan - and that is a BIG turn off. I did it independently after a show with a local wholesaler. It's odd that Team Floral would partner with TEL as one of their BIG things is to watch wire in order volume. Overall, if you feel that you need someone to look at things, I would (did) trust Dan and TeamFloral. I am skeptical about any dealings with any wire services. Just doesn't seem right.... If you do sign up, you MUST find the time to attend the webinars, and do as much as possible to maximize your ROI. It's not cheap to be a member!!!

So I had the meeting with them and I was surprised. Firstly they never once offered to sell me their product, it was a chat about what we could do different. They told me to work to grow my average sale from $72.90 to $87. They told me 4 ways to do this. 1) Put a better spread of higher and lover value products on each page of the website (thought that was a good point) and offer everybody your $79.99 product when they call. 2) Send 5 postcards a year to existing customers (I never use postcards as my previous experiences have been poor). 3) Work on Adwords, SEO and Constant Contact. Send 2 e mails a month (I send one). 4) Do not push walk in as it is not profitable. He also said there is no cost effective way of bringing new customers so don't bother.

I have to say this is completely different than I was expecting but would love to hear some comments,

I am perplexed by the not to push walk in comment and it not being profitable? And I guess I understand the last comment about no cost effective way of bring on new customers but certainly some ways are far more affordable then others?

So I had the meeting with them and I was surprised. Firstly they never once offered to sell me their product, it was a chat about what we could do different. They told me to work to grow my average sale from $72.90 to $87. They told me 4 ways to do this. 1) Put a better spread of higher and lover value products on each page of the website (thought that was a good point) and offer everybody your $79.99 product when they call. 2) Send 5 postcards a year to existing customers (I never use postcards as my previous experiences have been poor). 3) Work on Adwords, SEO and Constant Contact. Send 2 e mails a month (I send one). 4) Do not push walk in as it is not profitable. He also said there is no cost effective way of bringing new customers so don't bother.

I have to say this is completely different than I was expecting but would love to hear some comments,

I would agree with some of it and not other parts. Modern day marketing platforms do not agree with many of some of these things because serious things can go wrong. One mis-step and you could lose a customer that could have a LCV of 10K or better.

1) I would keep a spread on your website that fits within you demographics (most people don't understand them, so they don't even look at them). In my area I keep a $10 spread except in the funeral area then I jump to a $20 spread. On the High end or customers orders, it's a $30 - $50 spread. reason, being, a person looking at those 2 areas versus everyday have extremely different budgets and want to spend more. that's decision they have made prior to there interaction with you or your website. You have to put yourself in the shoes of the customer, what spread do you prefer or would you tolerate.

I would NOT ATTEMPT to raise you ticket levels because that has a glass ceiling and if it breaks, your out of business in 90 days or so. Example: The average ticket in my area has increased over the last 10 years and it now up to $63 and some change. The range pre-funeral work goes down to $53 (which matches the national average). Recently a store in central Florida bought into this concept sold to them from a different group and in 6 months they had increased their average sale by $20 (wow). On Jan. 30 they realized that there CRR (customer retention rate) had dropped by 10% (WOW). The average florists retention rate is 65% - 68%. I suggested they call customers with history that was active but not within the last 90 - 120 days. They found that 60% moved to a different florist, the reason: They could go elsewhere (another florist or big box) and saved money. Some had been customers for over 20 years. So they (customers) threw out all the good service for many years because of the higher ticket sales. Very dangerous.............

I do use postcards and do about 6 - 8 per year. It takes 26 touches per. year to keep someone firmly in your camp, so I send out 6 - 8 per. year. I do cage the ROI on all of the holidays.

I send out 1 - 2 emails per. month. I would not send out 3 in August, but in December you can do 3 or 4. Customers are OK, as long as it's not abused.

As for adwords and Seo, I leave that to the professionals and pay for that service (florist knowledge only). For website, I drive traffic to my website with in every piece of mail/envelope/van/doors, etc. I can. I buy labels that say, We are only one click away (web address) then 24/7 days a weeks. Sometimes I will send facebook or emails blasts that say only that. I ask in every email, "if you know someone who needs flowers" please send them my email address or web address. Our adwords in Floristware match all of the above.

As for walk ins, they are VERY profitable and we push it all the time. That comment made me want to cry or scream. Today, we had 15 walk ins, our loss leader is roses year round for $24.95 a doz. (even at VD day). Over 50% grab a card, stuffed animal or candy at the register. People know that they can come in for that. Just last week did a $1000 funeral and when the clerk asked, "how did you hear about us?"........he replied, "I buy roses in your store at least once a month". So you can see that walk ins are profitable and if done right can be a trampoline for referrals from others to you. As far as bringing in new customers, we logged 375 new customers last and year 90% of them were handed to us by our customer base with very little cost to us. Our/your sole job in business to get the customers to buy more often (not higher or inflated prices) and then bring you at least one new customer per. year.......If your customer retention rate is 65%, then that means you are losing 35% of your customer every year. Some die, some move, some leave for high prices, some don;t like your location and so on. So doesn't it make sense to you that you that if your losing 1/3 of your customers each year, then how are you replacing them?.......You can't make that up with higher ticket sales, so failure to soon to come.

I test everything in my store first before I recommend it to someone else. So, you be the judge..............

I would agree with some of it and not other parts. Modern day marketing platforms do not agree with many of some of these things because serious things can go wrong. One mis-step and you could lose a customer that could have a LCV of 10K or better.

1) I would keep a spread on your website that fits within you demographics (most people don't understand them, so they don't even look at them). In my area I keep a $10 spread except in the funeral area then I jump to a $20 spread. On the High end or customers orders, it's a $30 - $50 spread. reason, being, a person looking at those 2 areas versus everyday have extremely different budgets and want to spend more. that's decision they have made prior to there interaction with you or your website. You have to put yourself in the shoes of the customer, what spread do you prefer or would you tolerate.

I would NOT ATTEMPT to raise you ticket levels because that has a glass ceiling and if it breaks, your out of business in 90 days or so. Example: The average ticket in my area has increased over the last 10 years and it now up to $63 and some change. The range pre-funeral work goes down to $53 (which matches the national average). Recently a store in central Florida bought into this concept sold to them from a different group and in 6 months they had increased their average sale by $20 (wow). On Jan. 30 they realized that there CRR (customer retention rate) had dropped by 10% (WOW). The average florists retention rate is 65% - 68%. I suggested they call customers with history that was active but not within the last 90 - 120 days. They found that 60% moved to a different florist, the reason: They could go elsewhere (another florist or big box) and saved money. Some had been customers for over 20 years. So they (customers) threw out all the good service for many years because of the higher ticket sales. Very dangerous.............

I do use postcards and do about 6 - 8 per year. It takes 26 touches per. year to keep someone firmly in your camp, so I send out 6 - 8 per. year. I do cage the ROI on all of the holidays.

I send out 1 - 2 emails per. month. I would not send out 3 in August, but in December you can do 3 or 4. Customers are OK, as long as it's not abused.

As for adwords and Seo, I leave that to the professionals and pay for that service (florist knowledge only). For website, I drive traffic to my website with in every piece of mail/envelope/van/doors, etc. I can. I buy labels that say, We are only one click away (web address) then 24/7 days a weeks. Sometimes I will send facebook or emails blasts that say only that. I ask in every email, "if you know someone who needs flowers" please send them my email address or web address. Our adwords in Floristware match all of the above.

As for walk ins, they are VERY profitable and we push it all the time. That comment made me want to cry or scream. Today, we had 15 walk ins, our loss leader is roses year round for $24.95 a doz. (even at VD day). Over 50% grab a card, stuffed animal or candy at the register. People know that they can come in for that. Just last week did a $1000 funeral and when the clerk asked, "how did you hear about us?"........he replied, "I buy roses in your store at least once a month". So you can see that walk ins are profitable and if done right can be a trampoline for referrals from others to you. As far as bringing in new customers, we logged 375 new customers last and year 90% of them were handed to us by our customer base with very little cost to us. Our/your sole job in business to get the customers to buy more often (not higher or inflated prices) and then bring you at least one new customer per. year.......If your customer retention rate is 65%, then that means you are losing 35% of your customer every year. Some die, some move, some leave for high prices, some don;t like your location and so on. So doesn't it make sense to you that you that if your losing 1/3 of your customers each year, then how are you replacing them?.......You can't make that up with higher ticket sales, so failure to soon to come.

I test everything in my store first before I recommend it to someone else. So, you be the judge..............

Bootcamp guy

Thankyou so much for all of this information. This really helps me with my own marketing. I have to say that increasing my average order value seemed crazy in this economy but I liked the idea of having a better mix of prices on the website.

I do my own SEO and Google adwords but am thinking of spending money of a sign ($10K) rather than anything else. Again, I really appreciate the information

Reactions: bootcampguy
walkins are not profitable???!!! I find that my customers who physically come into the store are the most consistent buyers and my biggest cheerleaders in the community. LCV is sooo very important. Yes they take more time,and have a lower average ticket, but over the course of a year they spend so much more than those who buy once or twice a year. Plus since they often want to check out our wedding cooler we get a lot of referrals from people saying a friend saw our work or they hear we have a reputation for having weird fun stuff (that you often never see on the website because they sell out too quick) since we always buy extra wedding stuff for retail. People will buy cool novelty stuff I would never normally sell for retail even if it doesn't last as long as you warn them so they know what to expect.

What Rick and Christi said~!!

I'm perplexed too Steve.... I'd rather have folks in the store than on the phone... add-on sales are so much easier when they can see and touch... Most of my sympathy work, especially family work is walk-in... I do not understand their thoughts on this...

I agree too on the glass ceiling on price... $87 would be a grand thing... but I think to achieve that you would have to be more of a boutique shop with a high end reputation, and a limited customer base that is very loyal. Imagine trying to hit that after you factor out weddings and funerals... impossible.

I still disagree with much of what they spread...

Reactions: bootcampguy
maybe they meant marketing for walk in business is not profitable. I can see how that statement could be true for most of the industry. After all, if you have a limited marketing budget (like we all do) then you are going to choose to spend the money where flower customers are. Most of my new customers are shopping from home or work and looking at my website while they talk to me on the phone. It wouldn't make sense for me to spend precious marketing dollars for walk-in specials unless I felt like I have saturated the online/phone market .