Article The Giver Gains

Katie Hendrick

Contributing Author
Jan 19, 2014
State / Prov
Florida
We've tossed around different ideas to get online reviews (and, fear not, we will continue), but online endorsements aren't the only ones that matter. A whole lot of business happens by word of mouth. You get it by networking, face to face, in the real world.

Recently, a friend invited me to attend a Business Network International (BNI) meeting. BNI is all about referrals. The philosophy is one of good karma: you recommend your fellow members to friends/relatives/clients and they do the same for you.

Each group only allows one member from each industry to avoid competition. They meet once a week for a breakfast meeting, during which they each give a 30-second pitch about what kind of client they'd like to have for that particular week. After that, they go through the room, announcing who gave a referral, who got business from a group referral, and who scheduled a lunch or coffee date to get to know a fellow member better, so they could help talk them up. It's basically the accountability portion of the meeting, where members show they are working toward the mission statement.

I talked with one woman, a home designer, who had been a member for five years. During that time, she's been able to cut her marketing costs by 20 percent, while increasing her profits by 25 percent. My friend, a new realtor in a city saturated with real estate professionals, said it was too soon to quantify her payoff, but insisted that BNI was responsible for a consistent stream of phone calls. In just one meeting, I had one man ask if I could edit his book and a hair stylist inquire about my copy writing services. I have no doubt that every single person in the room with me could (and would) recommend a florist on a weekly basis.

The organization presently has over 6,200 chapters throughout every populated continent in the world. Last year, members of BNI passed over 6.9 million referrals which generated almost $3.1 billion (U.S.) worth of business for each other. Click here to find a chapter.

Katie did you have to pay a large membership fee? I've always heard BNI's are great for referrals. There is a BNI here but it's over $3000.00 to join. Another smaller group was less expensive but you are required to attend biweekly luncheons or have a staff member there. I'm just not that social and/or organized and staffed to escape the shop during store hours. Age could be an issue, but after serving and helping and helping and serving customers day in and day out, the only people I want to talk to are my animals. (at least I didn't say my wine)

Reactions: concord
I went to a BNI meeting as a guest and I hated it! I'm fine with networking face to face and I 'm good at public speaking but I and most florists I know can't commit to the weekly meetings and strict rules. The realtors, bankers, lawyers etc. have more freedom to make their own hours than a retailer does. Meeting were from 8-9 AM and I get to work at 8:30 or earlier if it's busy. Occasionally I could go in to work late if the help shows up, it's not too busy, and the moon aligns with the stars. Maybe it was just this particular group but it had a weird vibe, kind of cult like. Creeped me out to be honest. I do attend Chamber of Commerce business networking events and I am in Rotary which is a big time commitment but I like that Rotary is about giving back and "service above self" and not ALL about getting business. However, Rotarians are a loyal bunch and they all started buying flowers from me ater I joined and I have done business with many of them also. It's important to get out and meet people one way or the other and not just on line so I pick the things I can do with enthusiasm and BNI just didn't do it for me.

Reactions: KABERS
I go to the BNI meetings and have mixed reviews also. Yes, one on one is great, but I get pressured alot to be involved with others in the group for projects that might not benefit me. My time is valuable, so I don't go that much. Jenifer, dues were only $100 to join.......i go mas a guest because no florist in group.

Oops, yes, I should have mentioned the dues. This particular group was about $300 and there are weekly meetings (7 a.m., so people could get to work by 8:30 or 9). If you can't make it, you are expected to have a substitute (who doesn't have to be a coworker). I, like Rick, choose to go occasionally as a sub.