To Wire Or Not To Wire

SLevi

Apr 27, 2012
Houston
www.scentandviolet.com
State / Prov
TX
Am still a future florist, but much closer to becoming owner, and I am starting from the scratch.
Of course, in the planning phase there is the BIG question: "How do I bring the customers in?", and obvious SUB-question: "To join the wire service or not"
Are they the "necessary evil" or "just evil" for a beginner.
Would love to hear your opinion on it.
xoxo
Future Florist

They are a necessary evil for us, since we are an established shop, and need a way to serve our customers who want us to wire out.

DO NOT fall for the myth that you need incoming orders to get customers, move product, etc. If you are in a wire service, you must severely limit the number of incomings you receive. The largest florist in our town (4 locations) is still open, but bankrupt due to filling for the wire services.

What size town are you in? How many other florists are you competing with and what is their wire situation?

I would lean against it, but there are some pros and cons. You won't make much if any money on incoming orders, but they may prove useful as advertising. Chances are you can better use those advertising dollars elsewhere, even if you just used them to send free beautiful arrangements to local businesses to announce your presence.

Generally you can make money on wire-outs but there's nothing stopping you from googling a florist and sending a direct order with a credit card. Both sides are better off in that situation. We still get a fair amount of wire outs for a small town and are a Teleflora member. It is convenient to use dove to send out wire orders, but really it would only be a minor inconvenience and much more profitable to just call in a direct order. Starting out you probably won't get that many wire-outs.

Ultimately it wouldn't be cost effective to be part of a wire service unless you get in at a bargain rate for a limited amount of time just to test it out. Dealing with underpriced order gatherer arrangements during holidays is a rite of passage right?

Reactions: SLevi
They are a necessary evil for us, since we are an established shop, and need a way to serve our customers who want us to wire out.

DO NOT fall for the myth that you need incoming orders to get customers, move product, etc. If you are in a wire service, you must severely limit the number of incomings you receive. The largest florist in our town (4 locations) is still open, but bankrupt due to filling for the wire services.
Thank you

What size town are you in? How many other florists are you competing with and what is their wire situation?

I would lean against it, but there are some pros and cons. You won't make much if any money on incoming orders, but they may prove useful as advertising. Chances are you can better use those advertising dollars elsewhere, even if you just used them to send free beautiful arrangements to local businesses to announce your presence.

Generally you can make money on wire-outs but there's nothing stopping you from googling a florist and sending a direct order with a credit card. Both sides are better off in that situation. We still get a fair amount of wire outs for a small town and are a Teleflora member. It is convenient to use dove to send out wire orders, but really it would only be a minor inconvenience and much more profitable to just call in a direct order. Starting out you probably won't get that many wire-outs.

Ultimately it wouldn't be cost effective to be part of a wire service unless you get in at a bargain rate for a limited amount of time just to test it out. Dealing with underpriced order gatherer arrangements during holidays is a rite of passage right?
Thanks.
I am in Houston, TX. 5 mil people and about 900 flower shops (awesome, right)
I was looking at it from the "advertising" point of view - but the questions are: a)how big is the conversion rate targeting recipients of the arrangements; b) would other advertising methods be more cost effective; c) can I survive first 3 months of advertising and possibility of no orders until I get my foot in with the potential customers
P.S. I have been working for order filler for many years and have become "best of chums" with our lovely OGs (PTSD at its best)

I would lean towards not also. You build the business with relationships. So get your butt out into the community and let your business be known

Flower Shop Network would be a good fit for you. Low annual fee, optional commission rates, good resources, and weekly payment.