Website photos?

Apple Blossom

Jan 25, 2010
Fredericton
State / Prov
New Brunswick
Hi there!
We're in the process of building our website, but need photos until we have enough of our own to post. We will have an e-commerce page as well. Does anyone know if there are any available I can purchase over the internet?
Thanks in advance!

Mary

How many orders a day do you have?

Lets say you have 5 a day thats well over 100 images a month.

If your serious about making a successfull website why only go 50% of the way?

Eric, not to poo on your response, but I can identify with Mary, and add to that, that I also don't have the equipment or knowledge to take good photos. Knowing of course, I need to learn, but it all takes time. And being a webmaster yourself, it probably seems easy. Some of us are still infants in this technology.
I'm still trying to find my way around FC!

Reactions: Toddxxx
See thats the beauty of Digital Cameras. You can take a hundred pictures with different settings and have at least one good picture.

Its all about making the time to do it!! The equipment comes with practice. Start small and work your way up!!

I've been struggling with this as well. What make & model digital camera do you recommend Eric. I currently have a cheaper Sanyo & the images are pretty sad. I know part of is I don't know what I'm doing. Also proper lighting is important. Do you use a photo cube or just brght natural light?

A good camera really comes down to two things.

Mega Pixels and Lens.

On a really good day I can get a great picture with my Blackberry phone that has a 3.2 Mega Pixels camera. Add a little exposure using Adobe Photoshop and tada!

Yea I know Adobe is a little expensive. You can actually use Picasa for some quick editing. Until you want to invest in Photoshop. Which you will later.

The camera that use now is the Canon Powershot S3. I have had it for a few years already so I'm looking for the next one.

Attachments

• Blackberry-Phone..jpg
    Blackberry-Phone..jpg
    661.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Blackberry-Phone-&.jpg
    Blackberry-Phone-&.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 22
I've been struggling with this as well. What make & model digital camera do you recommend Eric. I currently have a cheaper Sanyo & the images are pretty sad. I know part of is I don't know what I'm doing. Also proper lighting is important. Do you use a photo cube or just brght natural light?

I would recommend any GOOD SLR from Canon or Nikon. I've used Canon's since 1972 so that's what I'm most familiar with.
Like Eric said, take many photos at different settings, that's why you need something more than a point and shoot.

In photography it's known as bracketing. I start 1/3 to 2/3 stops underexposed and shoot photos at each 1/3 stop up to 1-1/3 stop overexposed. A 'stop' refers to the lens' iris setting. It controls how much light is let in and also has an effect on the 'depth of field'. The shutter speed controls the duration of the exposure. I leave the shutter speed set at 125th of a second and adjust the lens setting.

Light - natural diffused is always the best. Everything is balanced to Noon daylight (5500 to 6000 degrees Kelvin). Incandescent and halogen light is 'red' while most fluorescent lighting is blueish-green. If you take photos with artifical light you need to adjust the white balance setting on your camera so your colors stay true.

You want to avoid using the camera's built in flash at all cost! It will undoubtedly cast harsh shadows in a straight on photo. If good, natural light is unavailable you can either use a photo cube which diffuses the lighting from lamps or buy good studio strobes at a cost of about $600 (http://www.alienbees.com) for a pair with stands and umbrella reflectors. To determine the proper settings for the studio strobes it's best to purchase a light meter (Seiko $190) that will give you the shutter speed and f-stop for your setup.

You can build your own light cube - you'll find directions on the net. I'm fortunate that our building is 2/3 north-facing greenhouse so I generally have no problem with light. Believe it or not, there are a few gray days in Oregon so I sucked it up and purchased studio lighting and a light meter. For a seamless background, I purchased a roll of white canvas-like material - 6' wide x 20' long that I hang from the trusses and drape down over a banquet table when it's time to shoot. The toughest shots are white flowers against a white background. I can't tell you how many times I shot white phalaenopsis orchids till I was somewhat satisfied. I've still got a dozen or so photos that I'm not happy with.

There are very few photos that are perfect. Any photograph can be made great either in the darkroom (the olden days) or with a program like Photoshop - whether cropping, adjusting brightness/contrast or making color adjustments.

Some practical advice - hire a budding young photographer/graphic artist to teach you studio photography and basic photoshop. Even though I had some photographic skills (our back office was once my darkroom in the 70's), I hired a young lady that took the initial web photos and taught me basic studio lighting techniques and Photoshop skills.

One final thought - when you've amassed enough good, high quality images you can create your own countertop selection guide instead of using the god-awful, dated books from the WS. Ritz Camera stores will let you make bound books that are an inexpensive but great way to feature your work.

Good luck~
Doug

But don't let Doug scare you. You don't need to know all of that in order to start. That is GREAT info, but even if you don't understand it all, or don't have extra cash to go and purchase lights or a new camera, just start taking the shots! Like Eric said, you can take 100 shots of the same design 'til you find one that you can work with.

What neither of them mentioned which I think is the most important is design for the camera. Once you start taking those 100 shots, you will begin to see what is wrong. You will notice that greenery will really change the design in the image. This has been talked about before but deserves to be re-iterated. CHR said it best once when she said "Less is more". You can find a great walk-through of Cathy's way of producing a great image in the gallery. HERE is a link

Wow, thank you all for your good advice! I do indeed have a Canon camera so I'll try to follow some of the instructions listed. :)
I guess it's a matter of time and space for the 'photo shoot'. We have a small shop so we need to get creative. I had thought of having a few different coloured bolts of fabric for the base/background on hand for the shots. I guess we'll have to play around with it. In the meantime, I just might check out a couple of those websites.
Thanks again! This site is wonderful!

Mary

My lighting situation is a nightmare!
I'm a photoshop virgin....well semi. Everytime I try and use photoshop, I want to cry. I need to take a course or something.
It's so complicated!

Chantelle, try this:

First, if your image does not fit so that you can see the whole thing, go to view on top tool bar and select fit to screen. You can always go back to that when you re-size an image so that you are able to see it well.

When you first open your image in photoshop, go to enhance image, it should be the third or fourth tab directly ABOVE the image.

Go to lighten/darken image and click on that. A box should pop out that has two sliders. One for lighten and one for contrast. Move the slider on lighten and watch your image until you are happy with it. You can play with the contrast, but I don't use it much unless I want to get a brighter color. You may be surprised at just how much that will change things for you.

Take it slow, don't get frustrated. There is WAY too much in photoshop for the beginner, (me too), so just find the few things that enhance your images. Once you are familiar with those few things, go ahead and branch out. Baby steps.

Reactions: SallyDanciu
I just want to say thank you to everyone for this very valuable information. I loaded Photo Filter & am playing around with it. I showed the information to one of my bright young part timers & she is bringing in her Nikon & will work on some of your suggestions. I feel that we are well on our way & I am grateful for the information the Flower Chat community has provided.

Reactions: anytimeflowers