Status
Not open for further replies.

12BucksFor2Dozon

Apr 14, 2005
the Mind's I
www.usflowerhaus.com
State / Prov
FL
At the risk of stepping on Mlou's and CHR's "SEO Guru" toes <g>, it seems Google has just released "Analytics" which claims...

(to) tell you everything you want to know about how your visitors found you and how they interact with your site. You'll be able to focus your marketing resources on campaigns and initiatives that deliver ROI, and improve your site to convert more visitors

Dig in, oh webmeisters!

12BucksFor2Dozon said:
At the risk of stepping on Mlou's and CHR's "SEO Guru" toes <g>, it seems Google has just released "Analytics" which claims...
Dig in, oh webmeisters!

12BucksFor2Dozon.
Don't worry about stepping on my "toes"...I love learning something new.
Besides, florists need all the help them can get...they don't have the needed time to surf thru the thousands of new webpages and information that are posted everyday...

Back to the Google/analytics...you should already have most of this info from your web stats that your website host provides without giving the info to Google...(This sounds like the WS, wanting all your info)

Also, I don't think the WS will allow the java script tracking to be posted in your source code...Could be wrong.

Per Google...
In order to implement Google Analytics, you'll need to have access to the source of your webpages.

Thanks a lot for that link Mark!

This is better than I thought!

Wow, it used to be for just adwords integrations, http://www.fireclick.com/ has some explaining to do. lol

YeeeeeeHHAAaawwww GO GOOOOOOGLE!!! :)

12bucks - mlou's the SEO guru. I'm just a florist with a website who'd like to goose others to help themselves.

What's now called Analytics was a company called Urchin, purchased by Google last spring. Participants used to pay $200/year but now it's free to most users. Can't find the link but read that Urban Florist used the software.

I have seen webstat programs added to a few TF template sites. Anyone doing serious SEO needs way more info than what's provided in the basic WS reports.

I'm with mlou about concerns with Google having all the info about our users.

CHR said:
...I'm with mlou about concerns with Google having all the info about our users.
My first reaction was "what the hell would Google care about my flower shoppers?", but after thinking about it, I now tend to agree with you guys. There is little doubt that big ad "partners" would be privy to the data that your shoppers/users would generate, and whatever small search cracks that your shoppers slipped thorough to find your site might soon be plugged by the big dollar OGs and wires.

12BucksFor2Dozon said:
My first reaction was "what the hell would Google care about my flower shoppers?", but after thinking about it, I now tend to agree with you guys...

12BucksFor2Dozon,
Google has already started "Personalized Search"
Notice that Google will be keeping a file on your search habits...

...Browse and search over your past searches, including the web pages, images, and news headlines you've clicked on...

I think it is still in "Beta" testing...
https://www.google.com/accounts/Ser...://www.google.com/psearch&nui=1&ltmpl=psearch

Now tell me again, do you really want Google to have the stats on your website also?

It won't be long, Google (and other major search engines) will know more about you than what you remember about youself...

CHR said:
I'm with mlou about concerns with Google having all the info about our users.

The more I think about this...

When it comes to Google, people happily reveal information they wouldn't tell their friends...
Be careful...

Think twice before using anything that is "free"…

Why is Google Analytics free?
Does Google have to give money away?
Of course not...Google will find ways to monetize this service.

There is no such thing as free lunch. Everything, even what is seems free, must be paid for by somebody in some way...

If you use the new Google Analytics tracking service, you will tell Google...
how much you earn...
when you earn it...
which products you sell...
how often you sell them...
how much you spend for ads on other sites...
and much more information about your online business.

Do you want Google to know that much about you and your company?
Do you really want to share your revenue information with a company that also wants your advertising dollars?
Do you want to share your revenue information with any other company at all?

I am not trying to bash Google, I am trying to make you aware so you can make an informed decisions about your company…

Have you thought about what information Google knows about you if you use their services?

Google Toolbar… the web sites you visit, how often you visit them, how long you visit them, the links you click, the searches you perform, when you perform them.

Google WebAccelerator... the web sites you visit, how often you visit them, how long you visit them, when you visit them, the links you click, the searches you perform.

Google AdWords... your complete address, your credit card information.

Google AdWords conversion tracking... your online revenue, your number of online sales.

Google Desktop Search... the complete content of your computer, your emails, your Word documents and anything else on your pc.

Google AdSense... your complete address, the number of your web site visitors, if you use AdSense code on more than one page, the way people visit your web site.

Personalized Google home page... your interests, the stocks you own or are track, your favorite news sources (and bloomz..your political views)

Google MySearch history... all of your searches, your interests, hobbies, plans. (watch those medical searches)

Google SMS... your cell phone number.

Gmail... the content of your email messages, to which people you write, which people write to you.

Google cookies... they help Google to identify you and to combine the information from the different Google features to a single account.

Just trying to give you some food for thought...

I'm just a florist with a website who'd like to goose others to help themselves.

Oh that was quite the vision in my head as I rolled on the ground laughing. Ahhh too much coffee this morning. :) I vote quote of the day :)

I can tell you one way they will capitalize on it, they sell info to marketing companies. I.E. Wine marketers want to know search terms, average times spent on the page, exit pages, portal pages, IP redundancies, etc... for wine webpage’s.

So Proflowers will be able to know what terms could rank them first in your area. I.E. LA florists

This program is like signing up for free spyware. ;)

MLOU, you said:
If you use the new Google Analytics tracking service, you will tell Google...
how much you earn...
when you earn it...
which products you sell...
how often you sell them...
how much you spend for ads on other sites...
and much more information about your online business.

I disagree. Unless you add their JAVAscript on each product page, then they'll know nothing of the above. I currently have the JS on 10 pages... all my main pages.. flowers, plants, gift baskets, home page, etc..

I'm not sticking up for Google one bit, but when I weigh the bad with the good, in my area, I'm keeping it for now. Now could an OG or 1800flowers find out search term info to make them rank at the top of the search engines? Well, they already do in most areas of the USA. Do I care if 1800flowers knows how many people exit my plant page, for example? Not really. If I were in a metropolitan area where OGs and FFtF run crazy, then maybe. I'm probably being naive by keeping their ser, but in my area, OGs and FFtF aren't a big deal in my area... yet. I'm pretty brazing when it comes to taking chances like this, so I'll let you know how it goes. :) I'll be the gerbil. lol

I've had this service now for 3 days and the info I have learned is really good.

I am glad Mlou brought up something none of us thought about. how will Google use this to make money? I bet, they will sell the info to marketing firms or anyone who wants to know and has the money.

For example, looking a the stats on my site, a lot of people are looking at the gift baskets, a local florist in my area, or if an OG hit this area hard, maybe in the future they can query Google, for a price, as to what type of sites people are looking at the most on florist websites. Maybe OGs and 1800flowers already know this... my guess is they do. BUT maybe Joe blow florist down the street doesn't, well maybe now they can. When i signed up, Google never asked me what kind of site I had.... I.E. Florist/Gifts. That doesn't mean I am safe, just letting you know. I would love to what pages my local competition's customers are spending a lot of time on.

In the end, you'll have to weigh your options. Some SEO come free or an extra $5 with some service providers. In my area, I'm not too worried about it.. in a Metropolitan area I probably would. But then again, ask yourself... the info you are giving out.. do they already know certain things, I.E. customers spend a lot of time on the rose page in Feb.

I would NEVER EVER add that JavaScript on any shopping cart or certain products.. that is where I draw the line.

Anyway.. thanks Mlou for bringing this up. I'll let everyone more about it as it goes along. I've spent most my day thinking about this new Google service.

P.S. -

They do say on their sign up page-

Safe.

Google takes the trust people place in us very seriously, and is pledged to safeguard the privacy of your corporate data. We understand that web analytics data is sensitive information, so we accord it the ironclad protection it deserves.

To read more about their Privacy Policy - http://www.google.com/intl/en/privacy.html

Status
Not open for further replies.