What Can't You Design

I have tried to do the bud vase flowers in my hand but than I add too many flowers and I'm screwed again. It's a mental thing seeing that bud vase sitting in front of me. Enfact I only have about 3 bud vases in the whole store.

I also struggle with the darn shaped set pieces. I have trouble with the cutting out the shapes. Once I get that it's a breeze. But give me big old casket sprays any old day!!

Great to see everyone has a weekness makes me feel "normal". Thanks everyone

For Me, It's a Casket spray for a Newborn or an infant. It's not the diminutive size......it's just the fact that it is for a wee one......and I think about the life that little one could have had.....and I get emotional.

Now, for that designer who has trouble doing tropicals in a vase........give you a tip. Use a technique called HANA-KUBARI. It is basically using long flexible twigs and branches in the vase.....like curly cwillow twisted in a vase...COMBINED with a tight tape grid. IT WORKS !

I have trouble doing a bold masculine design. Everything I make tends to get fussy and girly, feminine kooking. I cannot resist using a soft foliage or something to finish a design. I could make a king protea girly.

i love tropical, highstyle and funky! i never like my dozen carns in a vase (but nobody complains about them), i guess because it is too traditional, i also prefer to push off traditional funeral arg on another designer when possible and they push all the creative or modern stuff on me. although i can do a cascade wedding bouquet in my sleep, go figure.:)

Reactions: dlnfloral
All-gerbera anything.... bride's bouquets or arrangements. They just never seem to look right!

Uh huh, that is me too. I think I am just too anal and want every flower to fall within the shape and plane that looks right to me. The funny part of it is, I just went through a record number of gerbs in the last week ~ just shy of 700. I had three different events, all with ONLY gerbs. Argh!! I charged for it though. ;)

Uh huh, that is me too. I think I am just too anal and want every flower to fall within the shape and plane that looks right to me. The funny part of it is, I just went through a record number of gerbs in the last week ~ just shy of 700. I had three different events, all with ONLY gerbs. Argh!! I charged for it though. ;)
that's a lot of gerbs!!..we have a standing order for 200/week, and we've had to double this last couple of weeks, but, not 700!!..wow

I'm with Boss,

have more issues with dz carns vased than anything.. I can do dz roses vased in my sleep, but those darn carns.. It's like herding CATS!!!!

Reactions: hollyflr

We go through about 200 gerberas a week. But we have a special dutch machine that we call a "plasticizer"

Special thin plastic tubing comes in 1000 meter rolls and we cut pieces to the desired length. Then slide them onto the stem and there's a heated element that blows hot air that shrinks the plastic sleeves. Its awesome. I love it. We ALWAYS have straight gerbs.

And it's great for wedding work because you can manipulate the stem any way you want.

bubble bowls or anything with a big mouth, we seem to use clear tape and use crisscross method and it seem to work. may collapse later, but works when we make them.

bubble bowls or anything with a big mouth, we seem to use clear tape and use crisscross method and it seem to work. may collapse later, but works when we make them.

ME too. anyone have any hints on how to keep a bubble bowl arr from collapsing?

then last wedding we used 10" bubble bowls we hand tied the bouquets and dropped them in.