What Can't You Design

dlnfloral

Beaches,Umbrella Drinks and Jimmy Buffett Are Call
Feb 26, 2008
Naperville
www.dlnfloral.com
State / Prov
IL
I got to thinking today - scary thought right there - what can't you design or what is the toughest design for you to make? This came to mind because I had to make 8 bud vases today and OMG what a challenge!! YES it is true can't do it - they look like crap!

I know it may seem strange but it is the toughest thing for me to make. I had a few designers that wouldn't believe me - SOOO I made one and they looked at the bud vase,looked at me and said " It's true - unbelievable"

So what's the toughest design or technique for you to do! :confused: :thumbsup

Reactions: CarverFlowers
I don't like to design high style tropicals in a vase no foam....I have trouble with it, can't get my flowers precise enough, it takes way longer than it should take and I always dislike the outcome..

Bubble bowls, only way I can do them is to do a handtied and wire them and then cut the stems really short. Now cubes I can do all day, but I cringe every time I have to do a bubble bowl, the flowers always want to float out.

Tropicals give me the fretsies :) Just because we very, very rarely have a request.

Now - at a visitation a few weeks ago we saw a Vacuum Sweeper made of flowers - it was awesome! But that would totally freak me out to have to do large, specific shapes.

Best I can tell, they used a large foam block for the base and chicken wire for the "vacuum bag" and glued flowers to it. Had it not been in the church with a bunch of people around, I would have snapped a few pics.

Wire service designs. They scare the crap out of me. And I'm not kidding here. They tend to have flowers that I don't carry, and with all of the flowers brought to the front in the image, I can't get that full look. Whenever somebody wants something they saw on line, I cringe. Then go look, and tell them whether or not I can get the same effect.

If I'm having an off day anything can go wrong but it seems only mainly in my opinion. Linaer hand tied if I haven't got quite the right flowers and I think too hard can really go wrong. It then may take me 3 goes before I'm happy. But the only thing that I don't like making is a shower/cascade bridal bouquet. I always come in really early on the morning of the wedding so it's just me and it and then it goes much smoother and I don't stress then.

Wire service designs. They scare the crap out of me. And I'm not kidding here. They tend to have flowers that I don't carry, and with all of the flowers brought to the front in the image, I can't get that full look. Whenever somebody wants something they saw on line, I cringe. Then go look, and tell them whether or not I can get the same effect.

my tag line for any "wire service design" is.... designer's choice similar in style and color

ditto on the animals... I plain ol' suck at 'em.....
Probably tropicals would be my downfall. We very very rarely ever have any available and no call for them except for my mother's service in 1982 when I ordered them for her casket spray (she was enamoured with Hawaii and tropicals)...

I hate doing corsages. I can do them- no problem- but I just don't enjoy doing them. I like doing boutonnieres and even wrist corsages but when someone wants a regular corsage I just about cringe. I really don't know why. They always seem to turn out and I've never had any complaints but I just hate doing them.

Dianne

I can't tell you how good this thread makes me feel! Sometimes I feel so inadequate around here, with all you aces. So nice to hear that I'm not the only one challenged by the dozen carns in a vase (something I'd love to say "no" to, but can't when faced with a little ol' dear with puppy dog eyes) and corsages. My corsages aren't bad, and I don't get complaints, but I'm seldom satisfied with them. Every time I make one, I take a deep breath and say "It's just a wee bouquet, you can do it."

I've licked the all-gerbera vase, using a tie as someone suggested with a bud vase. Seems to be the only way to make each of those suckers face, and keep facing, the way you want them.