White anemones with black centers for a September wedding

theflowersmith

Dec 13, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
www.theflowersmith.com
State / Prov
PA
I've put this off 'til after Valentines Day, but must start thinking/stressing over it again.

My bride wants white anemones with black centers for her mid September wedding. I'm nervous about this one and even consulted with both Cindy Tole and Tim Farrell, who both agreed with me. I tried to convince her to accept gerberas as a back up, but no go. Finally, she has agreed to silk as a back up plan. Does anyone have a good quality silk recommendation. I tried Sullivans and Meravic. Any other suggestions?

I had a similar situation at New Years. Order double what you need - I was amazed at the number that didn't open and also stem rot easily. Had 2 silk kissing balls for the flower girls - found large white silk hydrangea. The florets worked perfect with black sequins pinned in centers. Good luck!

It must be the post-Valentines Day fog......the reason I'm really stressing out over this wedding is that she has 11 bridesmaids and she wants all 11 to carry nothing but white anemones with black centers! I'm thinking the only way I'll take on this wedding is if she allows me to have silk as a back up plan.

Anyone have a good silk source for white anemones with black centers?

I would just be honest with this bride and tell her that the anemones are not available. According to the Fan Deck, they are not in season. If she really wants them she needs to either accept silk or change her wedding date. We have no control over when flowers are in season.

I had this same problem a few months ago. The anemones came in crappy. My supplier found some kind of single stem (had 3 blooms) that looked kinda similar to an anemone but it had yellow centers. We used a sharpie and colored the centers black. I asked him if he could remember what they were...we are both trying to access the information in our brains!! If I remember, I'll repost. In my case, the bride didn't even know they were silk! I told her though and showed her the fresh ones.

I don't know about you but I'm not Helen Keller..not a miracle worker. I can make some things happen but some things are just up to God like when flowers are in season. :)

Reactions: theflowersmith
Hi Sue!

That sounds like a nightmare.

One of my favorite silk suppliers has always been Autograph Foliages but I looked on their site and didn't see anemones. Tapscott's is reputable I believe but I've never purchased from them. Michael's is where I'll usually go if I only want a few stems for something specific but no way will they carry the amount you are looking for.

Have you looked at poppies? Do you need the foliage on them?

I don't guess she'd consider white gerbs with a black center either. . . we have put the larger flat sequin (disc-type) in the middle of gerbs for prom and they really pop

I've read about using white lisianthus with blue thistle floret heads painted black glued into the center. I'd charge through the nose for it though if I did it. I haven't seen a sample, but may be worth a try.

Hands down the BEST silks I have EVER seen is Silk botanica. find them at www.silkbotanica.net Look in their "stems" catalog.
They have white and black center poppies that I think would be perfect or there is a white anenome...But you will have to color the centers with black yourself..but that's easy enough.