Why I sent in my termination letter to Teleflora

Simon Says

Apr 1, 2011
Medford
State / Prov
New Jersey
I sent, by certified mail, this morning my termination letter to TF.

Here is why, in no particular order:
  • A clearly trending reduction in TF (direct and florist) incoming orders over the past 30 months until the recent monthly orders have become few;
  • An increase in a multitude of fees, both monthly and related to orders;
  • New fees added as the sound of desperation by Teleflora increases;
  • Basically no change in the selling price by TF.com of their product over the referenced 30 months despite a general increase in costs for flora, containers, other hard goods, fruit & consumables, distribution costs -incoming and outgoing;
  • Newly issued - Q4 2010 - picture and recipe book stuffed with sku demanding the use of TF containers and a clever way of getting 2 bites at the same cherry;
  • A nonsensical delivery confirmation approach - nothing against delivery confirmations but everything wrong with a structure that has no bend in it for human nature and Mother nature. The adding of a non-confirmation fee in a few weeks adds to the frustration;
  • An inability by TF to follow their procedures except where it is convenient for them;
  • I have grown tired of their attitude. If they are tired of mine, at least the feeling is now mutual;
  • In my tired and frustrated opinion, I think the product they are peddling is becoming formulaic -and not just because it has to accomodate floral availability across N. America - and moving down market as their consumer processing fees, our delivery charges and product cost prices go up and the nature of what the consumer can get for their total spend is diminshed. I just don't want to be associated with crud as I have our florist image to consider; and
  • Mis-leading (to the consumer) design visuals.
I rest easy in the knowledge that I have done the right thing - I think!

With that laundry list, you have pretty much summed up what so many of us who used to belong to a wire service have felt.

I cannot say if you did the right thing for your business, only you know. Doing the math is usually pretty clear once you wade through it. If you looked at 30 months worth, I'd say you have a pretty clear picture.

Congrats on your decision, it WILL change your next holiday, it's MARVELOUS!

Reactions: Simon Says
BOSS's Quote of the day!

Never heard it said better... a I love all the fancy words ;)

I sent, by certified mail, this morning my termination letter to TF.

Here is why, in no particular order:

• A clearly trending reduction in TF (direct and florist) incoming orders over the past 30 months until the recent monthly orders have become few;
  • An increase in a multitude of fees, both monthly and related to orders;
  • New fees added as the sound of desperation by Teleflora increases;
  • Basically no change in the selling price by TF.com of their product over the referenced 30 months despite a general increase in costs for flora, containers, other hard goods, fruit & consumables, distribution costs -incoming and outgoing;
  • Newly issued - Q4 2010 - picture and recipe book stuffed with sku demanding the use of TF containers and a clever way of getting 2 bites at the same cherry;
  • A nonsensical delivery confirmation approach - nothing against delivery confirmations but everything wrong with a structure that has no bend in it for human nature and Mother nature. The adding of a non-confirmation fee in a few weeks adds to the frustration;
  • An inability by TF to follow their procedures except where it is convenient for them;
  • I have grown tired of their attitude. If they are tired of mine, at least the feeling is now mutual;
  • In my tired and frustrated opinion, I think the product they are peddling is becoming formulaic -and not just because it has to accomodate floral availability across N. America - and moving down market as their consumer processing fees, our delivery charges and product cost prices go up and the nature of what the consumer can get for their total spend is diminshed. I just don't want to be associated with crud as I have our florist image to consider; and
  • Mis-leading (to the consumer) design visuals.
I rest easy in the knowledge that I have done the right thing - I think!

Reactions: Simon Says
I should print this out and have it handy the next time the tf rep stops in to try and sign me back up.
Had the TF rep in here, end of last week, she was very kind, I told her IF the CANADIAN OFFICE was running the show, far fewer members would be quitting!!
She sounded confused, and I said "IF the CDN office makes a promise, that the US HQ doesn't like, the US office will just overturn the decision"!!
I'm "seeing" (with one good eye) an effort by FTD in becoming a little more "understanding" which is STILL an oxymoron in WS speak!

I am so glad I quit TF...I left for many of the same reasons, I was barely being able to pay them every month and got to the pint where I was paying their astronomical late fees, they would take my cc until bill was paid and just caused me major hardship every month...I decided that TF was way to into my shop, running my show and it needed to stop...I got my final bill last wednesday afternoon, I ahdn't even opened it yet and TF called on Thursday, demanding payment I politely told them that I had not opened my statement yet and that it needed to be reconciled before I made any payment...I opened said bill and glanced over it still not reconciling because I have prom etc...I got a call from TF lawyers Monday afternoon...if I didn't make a 3 month auto draw payment plan right then and there, they would report me to the credit bureau and send it immediately off to small claims...more than half the money I owed was current and not even due til the 25th of this month...but somewhere in the contract it says that even if a penny of the money you owe is overdue at time of leaving, it all becomes overdue and they keep your 200.00 deposit..They also charged 400.00 for that to go to the lawyer, so they are still screwing me monetarily even after I have left big time..I have never seen the likes of the charges they want to file these things...because of all of this I will never ever be a member of them again, even if they straightened out their crap...not after all I have done as a board memebr for TF for free, paid their rediculous fees for so many years hoping it was for the greater good and supporting the fact that they were the lesser evil...they could even cut me a break and let me reconcile my statement and make a payment plan with them, They can go and ef themselves, they suck eggs...so glad..so glad!!!

Congrats Simon...

It's truly sad... I've heard stories like Lori's from many florists across the states. While I understand Teleflora's response, continually adding charges to inflate the balance owed is unfair. Best thing to do, if you're thinking of getting out of the scam game is to pay down your account as fast as possible, hopefully before you send your letter in.

Wish I had an accurate membership number for each service, I'm pretty sure the number is way down, and with summer coming on, the time when most folks jump ship (after MD) I would anticipate seeing perhaps the lowest membership numbers in recent memory by fall.

Well, one can hope anyway...

Believe me I totally understand that they have a protocol for collections, the thing that peeves me is that I was working with them..I never said I didn't want to pay, just that I needed to reconcile...now what tehy have done is make it so that I would never consider memebrship again after this kind of treatment...I could totally understand if I took 2 weeks to reconcile and they called again and I gave an excuse etc...but withing a day they forwarded the info to the lawyer...I know I owe thwm, I never said I didn't...give a person a break, especially if you might want me back as a memebr some day...the losing of members by hiking fees is bad, but the burning of bridges with past memebrs is downright stupid on their parts...They must really have faith that we will all be back once we reallize we cannot live without them.....ya right..If my only choice in this biz was to go back into a wire service, I would close my doors one last time before I bothered...and the situation at hand tells me that it is 100% business to them and 100% money, save the florists my ass...

save the florists my ass...
"Save the Florists" is Teleflora's bogus attempt to keep florists in line.. throwing them a bone... I have never seen the advertisements outside of industry publications.... what good does that do?

"Save the Florists" is Teleflora's bogus attempt to keep florists in line.. throwing them a bone... I have never seen the advertisements outside of industry publications.... what good does that do?

more like throwing down a "gauntlet"......it's too bad for the wire services.....this "social networking" thingy!! <thumbs up>

Lori, I am sorry to read of your woes and problems with TF. I just hope that I have no such finalization issues with them.

It is, sadly, not just TF or other WS that have these "small print clauses" that no-one, not even a lawyer, reads and then, just like "magic" some jumped up flunky spouts off on clause "XIV, sub-section A1, paragraph 2". The credit card companies treat the retailers in much the same way, they get their oily, clammy, hands around you and when you try to terminate, they invariably go for the jugular.

I like looking at TF & FTD/Interflora websites in the UK and other countries to compare and contrast what they are doing there. This applies in terms of flora design and style, ideas, container - or lack thereof - use and, more specifically in this thread, how they show images, their marketing/sales speak, exclusion clauses (to the public) and general terms & conditions. It looks as if there is far less opportunity for consumer (and retailer) deception by the WS. I would be interested to see if any of our UK, EU and Aus/NZ members have any comments on the subject.

Simon... Congratulations!! I am joining you my letters were mailed yesterday certified!! YEAH!! Almost FREE!!

1. I sent my letter with no response only that I am resigning as of July 31 the end of this Directory strangle hold.

2. I had a great surprise on my statement this month. I have work hard at getting the dove and directory listing to minimum to find a charge for a 1 1/2" by 4" ad for my shop. There is NO WAY I would have agreed to this... I have put it into dispute so we shall see.

Lori.... I know how you feel about the time given to the Teleflora Board. I was the treasurer last year. I was fired in January as the president we had resigned and the little snot nose who think she knows everything at 25 (only worked at shops and never a owner but was a good brown noser at teleflora with Donna Nelson) became the president. I knew that I would be resigning but then I got this email.... Karen, I have been thinking hard about the board and I really want this next year to start without any conflict, so we are going to move the treasurer to Headquarters for next year. You are welcome to stay on the board . This has nothing to do with your job as treasurer as you did a good job on that position, so do not take this personal, I'm just looking for a successful year with no conflicts among the board. Thanks for all you have done for us as treasurer.

So I sent an official resignation. The only conflict we had on the board was with the new president that they have this year. SO BE IT!! It's hard to see the money we are suppose to raise for Telefloras coffers.

So Next chapter.... Flowers by Karen will survive.. I will send letters to my regular incoming from flower shops letting them know I am no longer TF and will be glad to still help them.

I know that I would like to keep my own money instead of sharing with others.

Reactions: Tuberose
Karen,

Good luck in sorting out your termination process with TF.

As for the "Miracle of Appearing Charges" that appear on TF statements from time to time on florists, I try to confirm anything verbal with TF in writing the same day and, if the person from TF comes up with the excuse " We do not have e-mail /fax " I say all right then, I will confirm it in an e-mail to my TF rep and that has tended to put a stop to the TF miracle of appearing charges.

Yes, design cost have been going up on everyhand and what do the ws do? Slash their website prices. I recently noticed an ftd la hybrid lily design changed to more expensive stargazer, but price didn't change.
Spent 6 months too many with tf. Had a 'free' 6 month membership and they still figured I owed them even after over $1,000 worth of orders. Charged me for website I didn't order plus late fees for it, dove fees, $400 design books, more late fees, etc. Rep gave me few more months free to straighten this out. Got credit for above, but then they charged me for Feb membership. So now balance of $300. I told them no payment til rep came by to see statements and I truly owed them.

Karen, sorry to hear about the "political" stuff going on with the Teleflora group, it's always politics in almost every group I have belonged to and you always have to play the game and play kiss up, I get so sick of it. Lucky you that you won't have to play the game anymore.