Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Mioux

Dec 15, 2004
Carlyle
www.mioux.com
State / Prov
Illinois
Tonight I was sitting here looking over a couple of threads, and an idea came to mind.

Someone in another thread was asking about the benefits of the Flowershopnetwork and its costs.

In another thread FC is advertising to attract new Fc members.

With these two thoughts in mind.... why can't FC have a member directory forum free of charge.

This would be a directory listing of the members' shops, area served etc. If a florist in one area wanted to by-pass FTD and TF, they could do a direct order FtoF. My idea is one that if you go to the big two directories, you will use one of the ws's. By having a directory here, you are letting other florists know that you would be willing to take their order directly. Commissions to the sending florists could be something mutually agreed upon by the two florists involved.

This is just a thought and there maybe reasons this isn't possible, but I thought I would just throw this out for discussion.

Joe

I'll be first to join

Anything that will help each other is a great idea. We usually with the WS charge $5.00 wire service fee, that is what we get to keep. The rest goes to the forfilling florist. It would have to be credit card sales straight from the customer or a credit card of the florist is the only way I can see getting fast payment and honest payment. I already consider this group to be a first priority in sending orders that I can't do through 800-flowers.

This would be GREAT!!!
As we are a very wee store and are just now turning "2" the whole WS drama hasn't yet been a huge issue....HOWEVER!!! was TF & FTD in my old shop years ago and really don't wish to get sucked into that vortex again!!
The ability and CONFIDENCE I'd find in sending to someone from here would be a real selling point for our customers....
The credit card payment method is what we do at the moment...is working great so far!
I think this has super potential!!
Think Spring!!
jeannie

We do have a directory, for those that have opted in by providing their shop info to member mlou....but alas many have not taken this opportunity to join the directory and by the links and RSS we generate help boost their own shops site ranking...

We have the directory as part of the Blog that you can search just like a consumer can.

It is an OPT-IN directory, hence the reason the complete FlowerChat member directory is not included.

Hope that helps.

Mark:
It seems not many are aware of this service. Is there a button here on FC to direct florists to the list?

How about making that service more prominent here at FC forums.

I forget about the blog because I come here.

What is RSS?

I have been hanging around here for a little over a year, and was not aware of this service.

Joe

We'll see what we can do in the next few days or so about a more prominent link or perhaps a button for the Blog.

It really is a valuable tool to help your shop, as well as inform consumers, florists and the media. We are (actually Mlou is) working to fill content into the blog on many topics, the more we can add the more valuable it becomes.

RSS....I'll give you my limited knowledge, and know others will fill in the blanks... RSS is a **Feed** going out of the Blog, everytime we add content in new articles the Blog sends out a *Ping* to various search engines telling them we have made a change and then their spiders/bots come and check it out...rather than waiting for them to come find the entries...

People set up RSS (new aggrigators) Feed Readers and select topics, then when ever there are additions they automatically receive the posts without going to look for them. Blog's and RSS are fast becomming a product of choice for many, and they do not have the restrictions as there is no spam associated with Blogging...(yet)...

HTH

BOSS said:
We do have a directory, for those that have opted in by providing their shop info to member mlou....but alas many have not taken this opportunity to join the directory and by the links and RSS we generate help boost their own shops site ranking...

We have the directory as part of the Blog that you can search just like a consumer can.

It is an OPT-IN directory, hence the reason the complete FlowerChat member directory is not included.

Hope that helps.

I think Joe has a great idea! The directory on the blog is not accessible as a link from the Flower Chat Main page nor as a Quick Link so my guess is that most here do not visit it. I believe what Joe suggests is a directory in which a city and state can be typed in then a Flower Chat Florist comes up - just like on the other web flower shop directories. If this is done, it should be listed on the main FC page so members can see it. Remember, the Members List cannot search by city and state so that is not of help unless you know who you want to contact.

Let me begin by saying, I'm sorry this is so long...but I must get on my bandwagon again.

http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6755&highlight=blog
Let me also take this time to remind new members to "PM" mlou (that's me)
to list your flower shop on the FlowerChat Blog Directory, both the USA or the Canadian Directory. It's free to FlowerChat members and it helps your website ranking in the search engines...

Web url
Shop name
Address
City State Zip
Toll Free #
Local #
Fax #
Email
Wire Services
Do you accect Direct Orders

Serving what area

Is there any part of this info that you don't want published

The FlowerChat Blog directory (http://realflorists.flowerchat.com/) is a opt-in program offering a free listing to real florists members of FlowerChat.com...(This blog is owned by FlowerChat and shouldn't be confused with iLocalFlorist.com owned by me)

Why opt-in...FlowerChat.com is a private forum, meaning you must register to read or post and Ryan doesn't allow spidering (search engine indexing) of posts made within FlowerChat.com, so all information remains private. The FlowerChat Blog is a public format and ranks well in the search engines, so we ask for your permission to post your information and a link to your website.

Search for the term: real florists
Google results #1 out of 77,700,000 web pages
Yahoo results #1 & #2 out of 4,190,000 web pages
msn results #3 out of 2,714,111 web pages

http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6665&highlight=blog+directory

What is Blog?

Blog is short for weblog. Think of the Blog as a journal or newsletter. Adding an article to an existing blog is called "blogging". Blogs include RSS feeds, archives and have become a major way of marketing on the internet. As a real florist FlowerChat member, you can be listed in the USA Directory or in the Canadian Directory. We will also help you post information to promote your shop.

Here's a link to the FlowerChat Blog...help us post more information articles.
http://realflorists.flowerchat.com/

We are using the FlowerChat Blog to increase website exposure, generate attention and buzz about the floral industry and
to market your local flower shops.

What is RSS?

Really Simple Syndication (RSS) is a XML format designed for sharing news, headlines and other website content. RSS has become a popular way of sharing content between websites. (BIG HINT: if you are creating a blog with RSS feeds be sure to register your feeds with RSS news aggregators like my.netscape.com, my.userland.com, xmltree.com, moreover.com,
which includes BBC, CNET, CNN, Disney, Forbes, Motley Fool, Wired, Red Herring, Salon, Slashdot, ZDNet, and more)

Joe:
CHR, BOSS and I have posted several threads abouts the FlowerChat Blog, the directory and promoting your website. I include information about the blog and directory listings in the "Welcome to FlowerChat" private message I send to all new members. We have had around 125 florists that have posted their information. (if you are not one of these 125 florists, please "PM" me your information) I continually send other "PM's to florists asking them to opt-in the directory or to post articles so we can help promote local floral activities, state activities and the local florists.

Here are some of those threads:
http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6755
http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6418&page=2
http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6332
http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6665&highlight=blog
http://www.flowerchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3719&highlight=blog

The directory on the blog is not accessible as a link from the Flower Chat Main page nor as a Quick Link so my guess is that most here do not visit it.

Frank:
You should bookmark the FlowerChat Blog...We'll see if Ryan can add a link to the blog also. We split the listings as a USA Directory or Canadian Directory and you have a second listing by states. All florists are in alphabetical order by cities...

The reason the directory was added to the blog was so you as the local florists could benefit from the link and ranking in the seach engines. Consumers hit the blog daily looking for florist's information.

If the directory was listed in the main FlowerChat forum, the consumers wouldn't be able to reach your information.

mlou said:
Joe:
CHR, BOSS and I have posted several threads abouts the FlowerChat Blog, the directory and promoting your website. I include information about the blog and directory listings in the "Welcome to FlowerChat" private message I send to all new members. We have had around 125 florists that have posted their information. (if you are not one of these 125 florists, please "PM" me your information) I continually send other "PM's to florists asking them to opt-in the directory or to post articles so we can help promote local floral activities, state activities and the local florists.

If the directory was listed in the main FlowerChat forum, the consumers wouldn't be able to reach your information.

thanks Mary lou for the update.

I am beginning to understand how FC forum and fc blog is structured.

The blog is public and the forum is private. I did not know that.

Second, I here talk about the blog here at the forum but have never tried really hard to find it. Therefore, I don't go there.

Third: I now understand that the blog lisiting of real florists is for the consuming public.

Now to continue with my original thesis....

I was not asking for the development of a florist listing for public viewing. I was inquiring about a florist listing, so other florists could find another florist who would rather not have a wireservice involved.

I was proposing a directory of florists who are willing to accept a credit card payment from another florist. That is why, a florist directory here at FC forum which is a private forum for florists would be valuable. This is not a directory for the general public's use.

I hope this better explains my original intent of this thread.

Thanks Joe

mlou said:

Mlou,

I believe what Joe was asking about was a member-to-member directory, not a consumer directory. For example, if we wanted to send a flower order (without using the wire services) going to Carlyle, IL, it would make it so easy to go onto the "Flower Chat Member Directory", type in "Carlyle" for the city, and "IL" for the state. Then, Joe's shop would pop up and I can then proceed to give him a call. Another way it could work is like on your iLocalFlorist.com - a zip code can be typed in and boom - a Flower Chat florist that served that zip will pop up. This would be a good way to connect us Flower Chat florists that want to exchange orders. I have heard from fellow Flower Chat florists about how hard it is to find each other. There is a desire to exchange orders but there is currently not an "easy" way for us to find each other!

Flower Chat Directory option

Another option - in the member listing area of Flowerchat, have an option to sort by location - town and state, like we can already sort by name, etc. Then it's all in one place, instead of a whole separate site.
t.
ps - I love all the info here, spending way too much time browsing old posts late at night, but I'm learning a lot! :SUI:

I asked this before. What would be really good is if when I am getting ready to send an order FTD if I could come here and find a florist in that city. I will do the work of looking them up to see if they are FTD or not. When I get rid of FTD then I will be 100% interested in coming here to find a florist to do a florist to florist with a credit card order, but right now I use FTD and I am pleading for a simple way to come here and find a flrist in such and such city without going to "members" and starting with "A". Who has that kind of time? Ya see? Is that being too presumptuous that members here who lurk would not want us to be able to find them easy or some other problem I am not thinking of. Too much work to create an alphabetical listing of members here by city/state? I can just taste it! it would be so great!

The reason being that it seems like a better idea than just selecting one at random, at least if they come here they are a little bit of a florist with a clue.

Perhaps we can examine this issue again. It was tried before, and we had very poor response. For the directory to be effective we'd need at least 1-200 FlowerChat members to participate. Currently the blog (which is linked to from flowerchat.com, mentioned in over 100 posts, and referenced weekly by mlou in her update posts) has about 125 members taking advantage. The last time we tried to launch a searchable internal directory we had fewer than 20 respondants.

I understand there is a passion amongst a few members to find other members for order transfer, but there has to be a desire and willingness to be found - otherwise we'll have a directory of 5 people who know each other anyway.

With the recent increase in membership, this could be worth trying again. I'll start a poll in a new thread and send a bulletin to all members asking for a response.

Ryan

Tracypieface said:
ps - I love all the info here, spending way too much time browsing old posts late at night, but I'm learning a lot! :SUI:

Yes, VERY addictive...before you know it, you're up 'till 1am reading this dang board!!!
(been there, done that!) Now that I've been here for a bit, I budget my time. BUT, as of late, I'm reading other boards (RV.net & other camping forums) and getting SUCKED IN once again!

I see Joe's idea, and I think it is a valid one. A quick link to a FC directory - just type in the name of the city and state you want and see who's there. Maybe if it were that easy, those who typically do NOT do direct orders may give it a try instead of going to FTDTEL... And, a FREE directory it would be at that...

- H.

I personally find the blog listing difficult to maneuver. It seems like it double lists everyone and I get lost in it. I often do try to find other FC florists to send orders to but it takes way too much time to find one via the blog listing.

Just my thoughts,
D

Edited to add: Bekka - You need to send your shop information to mlou via PM and she will get you all set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.