Wikipedia and place rank with Google

peggy70130

Jan 2, 2009
New Orleans
State / Prov
Louisiana
A week or so ago I received a tweet with this link about Wikipedia and place rank with Google. http://searchengineland.com/a-new-behemoth-emerges-in-google-maps-wikipedia-32593

It’s gotten me thinking that we could edit ourselves in to Wikipedia’s New Orleans articles. Our shop is in an historic building, and I thought perhaps we could edit the historic page to add our name and a little something about the building along with a picture. I believe it may be considered what they are calling vandalism to try to incorporate a business into an encyclopedia, but with the historic angle (bronze plaque outside and all) I think it would be fine and our building is neat—a pain to work in, but interesting.

Any thoughts on whether this would be worth while, since page rank is supposed to already have come into play with getting our Google Favorite Place designation, would it be redundancy, or, the more the merrier? If it has enough merit to try, has anyone ever edited anything on Wiki, and if so, is it very involved?

You have to be really careful. Wikipedia is a close community, and getting in there is worse than a hobbyist trying to get into FC ;)

It's a process. Register an account, and make some little unrelated edits in other pages on the similar theme. After a while you can try and be bolder about it. Watch to see if you get flagged. If your changes are reverted, try and respectfully dialogue with the editor who reverted you. Establish yourself as a big fan of all things historic and New Orleans, then include your edit in with several changes you make in one day.

They are on the alert for anyone with an agenda (though don't get me started on agendas of wikipedia editors ...), especially anyone with a commercial interest.

Reactions: peggy70130