Will the new sites be mobile ready?

That's a great question, and to answer it I'm going to dive into a bit of background.

First, "mobile ready" can mean a lot of different things. The site can:
1) be programmed in a different language like WAP (suitable for early generation mobile phones)
2) present a different, streamlined version of the site on a subdomain like m.example.com (ala Facebook)
3) use a script to detect the user's device and adjust the site accordingly (like FlowerChat)

Another option is to build an app tailored to the mobile device, like 1-800 flowers has done. In this case the data is being fed to the phone, and the app on the phone handles the presentation instead of the browser.

I want to be up front about this point: Mobile is an emerging market with a lot of potential, and we're taking that very seriously!

As a provider, part of our job is to prioritize development resources to best suit our clients. In doing so, we have to evaluate a few different factors. Here are some things that come into play:
1) Mobile technology: No one surfs on their mobile phone any more ... the transition to smart phones is in full swing. Whether iPhone, Android or the newer Blackberries, people are surfing from intelligent, powerful devices.
2) Mobile is catching up: The majority of smartphones sold from 2010 and onwards support HTML5. Many will support Flash. Android devices process JavaScript exponentially better than even the iPad computers. Other technologies like WAP were designed to dumb down the web site to suit the phones limitations. Meanwhile, phones are catching up to laptops and Netbooks.
3) Where does mobile rank as a priority: Mobile has a lot of buzz, and with a lot of justification. However, we have to go by more than just buzz - so we look at the numbers. Given all the different concerns a florist has to deal with, where does mobile fit into that list?

The last report I saw had mobile ecommerce at under 5% of all transactions. Yes, it's growing, but it's still small.

Other reports (reinforced by anecdotal evidence from our experience) says that the majority of iPhone and Android users prefer the full version of a site to the limited mobile version.

The overwhelming majority of mobile surfing is done by iPhone and Android users. Blackberry users don't surf - they email, they message ... but they just don't surf.

Different studies report that anywhere from 60-80% of all (not just mobile) search queries have local intent. For mobile users with location-aware phones, Google will adjust search results to display nearby businesses if they have a strong local signal from those businesses.

Apps are great - for brands. People are much less likely to install an app for a local business and infrequent purchase. Specials from the GAP? Yes! Cupcake of the day? Maybe. Flowers 3x a year? Less likely. (Note: 1-800 has their international brand and their loyalty/points program to keep people invested in using the app. Independent florists don't have a cohesive rewards system, so that would have to be programmed on a case by case basis, with interfacing into the florist's POS if possible.)

So, do we invest time in a mobile template that automatically displays for mobile surfers?

Do we develop an app for each platform?

Do we put emphasis first on local SEO, so that our sites kick A$$ for local queries on desktops and mobile?

I've tested our sites on Android phones and iPads, and I've been able to browse and purchase as they are now. The newer sites will have more emphasis on HTML5 as the devices continue to improve and adopt HTML5 standards. I'm not saying we'll be ignoring further mobile development, but at present it isn't as much of a burning issue as some say. Usually, those really hyping mobile have something to sell to solve that "problem".

We are discussing with our dev team the most effective strategy for bringing together the power of the newer mobile devices with the functions of our sites.

Of course, input and feedback is welcome!

FYI - We now have the dev site at www.demoflowershop.com running a mobile detection script. If a visitor arrives via a smartphone, they are redirected to a lightweight mobile-friendly theme.

I'm not quite prepared to declare it ready for primetime, but it is working at the moment.

Reactions: anytimeflowers