Status
Not open for further replies.

santosdesigns

Oct 22, 2008
Long Beach
www.santosfloraldesigns.biz
State / Prov
New York
When I first came upon this site I was very interested because I felt that I came upon a group of people like myself that dealt with issue that I faced on a daily bases. I have been a menber for just a few months, but let me tell you, I make it a point to either start or end my day by going to Flowerchat to see the day happenings. But of late I have notice that more & more people/groups that I feel really don't have the best intentions, interest or business if you will, by being a member and joining what I felt was an EXCLUSIVE forum. Am I the only one feeling this way.:confused:

If you are unsure about someone check out their profile. If they are a REAL Florist relevant information about their business should be on their profile page ~ even if their FC name doesn't reflect who they are.

mcf = Memorial City Florist ~ REAL Florist

When I first came upon this site I was very interested because I felt that I came upon a group of people like myself that dealt with issue that I faced on a daily bases. I have been a menber for just a few months, but let me tell you, I make it a point to either start or end my day by going to Flowerchat to see the day happenings. But of late I have notice that more & more people/groups that I feel really don't have the best intentions, interest or business if you will, by being a member and joining what I felt was an EXCLUSIVE forum. Am I the only one feeling this way.:confused:

I depends on what you mean by this...

If you mean that there are people being let in on memebrship that may or may not compete against you, I will ask have you participated in the mebership process??

If you are talking about the number of fluff threads that have been hammered to death the past few days, I'll say this start a really killer thread involving an issue you really take to heart...

Your post was so vague it is very hard to know what you mean, but I will say this to all....

There are thousands of members and only a handful of 30 regular posters...Those thirty people are just as tired as all the many of thousands of the same old issue...if you don't post your ideas they will never be heard, yeah they might be shot down, many of my thoughts are, but I post them anyway...you never know if you possess the single idea that may change the world if you keep it locked up in your head or wiat for smoeone else to shout it out...

I do know all that, what I am talking about and maybe I did not make myself clear is that, I have notice not just florist looking for info, but WS, OG, etc coming to this site and trying to get info from our everyday happing. Maybe I am getting paranoid but I don't feel there are here for OUR best interest.

I do know all that, what I am talking about and maybe I did not make myself clear is that, I have notice not just florist looking for info, but WS, OG, etc coming to this site and trying to get info from our everyday happing. Maybe I am getting paranoid but I don't feel there are here for OUR best interest.

This is Flowerchat, not Floristchat. I welcome all segments of the floral industry if they are contributing to some threads.

Now if they are just lurking and never postting... I do have issues with that.

I don't believe there is a minimum post contribution, monthly perhaps. I think maybe their should be to remain an active member.

No probably not, but you never know when you may get one of those people in here to maybe give us some insight into their biz....

Reactions: santosdesigns
Please elaborate. What WS and which OG other than bloomzie

there are probably many places out there to gather information about what the local florists are doing-besides here.
I like the diversity of FlowerChat. as business people I think we would want to see how others operate and how they may have become successful. I know I do!
I don't care from what segment of the floral world they are serving. If they are connecting with their customers, I want to know how, and then how I can use it with my business.
These others that aren't necessarily florists bring different valuable information to the table.. and if they don't post? well I know that I can still ask them a question with a simple PM.
to get specific- I know recently a person from teleflora was voted in- I'm glad! she specializes in social media! wow.. something I know I need to learn about and I can find her right here on Flowerchat.

Reactions: Victoria and Connie
Look when you have wholesalers coming to this site and you have TF also on this site with the pretense that they are here to hear our thoughts and any opinion to better serve us, or wholesalers that just don't cater to us but to the public. I DO have a problem with that! If you where to go to your flower district the way I do to buy for my events and them you have a bride that tells you she can go there and buy her own flowers. Then I feel HE (wholesale) is not here to serve me but whoever gives him business (cash) We are a dying breed. With supermarkets, fruit stands, deli' s, selling what we are I want to protect what is left of my business.

Reactions: bloomz
Look when you have wholesalers coming to this site and you have TF also on this site with the pretense that they are here to hear our thoughts and any opinion to better serve us, or wholesalers that just don't cater to us but to the public. I DO have a problem with that! If you where to go to your flower district the way I do to buy for my events and them you have a bride that tells you she can go there and buy her own flowers. Then I feel HE (wholesale) is not here to serve me but whoever gives him business (cash) We are a dying breed. With supermarkets, fruit stands, deli' s, selling what we are I want to protect what is left of my business.

Are you actively partipating in the new member threads???

If you are not then I suggest you do it for 2-3 weeks, it is exhausting and there are only a few that participate...if you don't like what is being let through the gates by all means stand up and vote that you don't want them here...in the new member forum...

Believe me people, I do understand all the dynamics of FlowerChat, I've been here since the beginning minute, and I understand your concerns, well founded or not.

A couple points,

Wholesalers: IMO it's better to have them here, hearing our concerns. We are still the majority of their customer base. There is not one supplier I know of that can or could make a living not dealing with florists. Better for the to hear complaints and kudo's here, and modify their business model, if they so choose. They're going to sell to whomever they will, and FlowerChat may or may not change that.

Wire Services: They have been on the various boards, since boards began. I welcome them, especially the minions that are in the trenches, as they will get it straight from us, rather than candy coated from their boss's or their boss's boss. They'll hear the real issues right from your fingers.

Event/Free Lance Designers: Some of these folks have more talent in their pinkey finger than I have in both hands, and I've been at this a long time. If I need someone for an event, I know I can come here and find a hired gun, or get ideas that I would never have thought of. I welcome them.

Suppliers/JH/Tech: What better place for them to connect with us, and us with them. There have been some awesome developements over the years, most recently the TV give-away that began here and went far and wide. New products have been developed, new ideas hatched... I think that's all good.

Basement Betties: I'll leave that one alone...

Members: On every forum I have been involved with for years, there have been times when tempers flared, and when personalities bumped heads. It happens, especially when things are slow, people are stressed and things are tight. We need to get passed it, get over it and move on. Personal attacks are one thing I will not tollarate, but people simply taking things the wrong way, or takling them personally when they were not meant that way is childish. No I'm not calling anyone childish, but like I told Bloomz last week... "put your big girl panties on and deal with it!"

Some of you will take this post personally, I can not help that unless I keep my mouth shut, and in all my years here I have never done that, nor do I intend to start.

We are a family, within a troubled industry, and it will take each and every one of us to affect change if tere ever is any.

I had this all typed and just saw the thread from BOSS, but here is my perspective anyway:

We are all here, including some that we may feel are not exactly helpful or mindful of the real needs of florists. That is the way it is.

This is not going to change, as this board has been built over several years that you or I were not part of.

Again, it is what it is. I would say that you and I are better off being a part of this board and participating, the way it is, and dealing with it, rather than raising a fuss about it. There is no other place to go to learn this stuff. If you have a secret, keep it. If you can contribute, do it.

Perhaps they will learn something as we do. It is not just florists who are in difficult times right now, but our entire industry. We florists have taken our hit due to a changing market and changing times. (As it was recently put to me, so have hardware stores, paint shops, lumber yards, electronics stores etc)

I personally have grown to like the interaction with other groups from our industry, not just our own little faction. (It would be boring without those different perspectives) Those different perspectives should be taken very seriously.

The rule I like is contribution. If they don't contribute, they should be booted. (Asking for information on something from the group doesn't count as contribution) It is one of the requirements of the new member thread, and should be handled appropriately.

I see very few of those who participate here as competition.

Competition is: the please omit flowers in the obits (did you notice when Natasha Richardson died they promoted please omit flowers - wth!)
Jewelers, build a bear etc denigrating flowers as a gift of choice.
Boxed delivery services/wire who are dishonest in their advertising.

Most here are in the trenches EVERY DAY whether they are in the growing, distributing or retail arena and all are struggling to make ends meet.

I will take advise, perspective, a kick in the pants, affirmation and hugs from any and all if it helps me be a successful florist. And most here post because we want to see all of us that are committed succeed.

As for the posting.... I don't always post a lot, because many times I find someone else has taken the words right off my keyboard and beat me to it.

It's war out there and I'll take all the ammo I can. :)

So welcome aboard! BTW this place is like AA. Hi I'm Kristine and I'm addicted to flowerchat.

Sometimes when we just stay within our own world in our own orbit, we can't see the forest for the trees.

IMHO, what makes flowerchat so valuable is that I am given the opportunity to see how it is in someone else's world. It adds perspective. If flowerchat was for florists just like me, I would be missing the big picture and valuable insight into how the industry works and is changing. I would continue along my merry way, oblivious to everything going on OUT THERE that I am unaware of.

To me, in the short time I have been here, it's what makes flowerchat so
F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!!!!!

(and by the way, me too! My name is Sandy and I'm addicted to Flowerchat)

Reactions: kt4ye and Victoria
Status
Not open for further replies.