Yet another free "Florist Directory"

Nov 22, 2009
West Saint Paul
any-timeflowers.com
State / Prov
Minnesota
I received an email, same old message, different site. I was invited to look and see if I was listed, (I am ) and if not to go ahead and register for free. Isn't that nice?

This new affiliate site seems to have done their homework. It must have just launched over the week-end, the one and only blog post is dated the 17th of December. Very nice, very helpful, VERY DECEITFUL. It talks about using a real florist, and even conveniently MAPS all of the different listings (very good for rankings for the site). Once into a listing for an individual shop, the address and phone numbers are listed but no website address. Even their name, floristsandflowers, is direct keyword goodness.

Most of the shops that I know of as well as several of our local wholesalers are conveniently listed. There is a page for every single listing. No live link to the actual florist though, the live links are reserved for FTD, Bloomnet, and even some direct shippers.

Just another attempt to scrape some money for doing nothing. That's fine except for the fact that these sites use my name as well as countless other florists and our addresses, mostly without consent, to mine orders from hapless consumers. Consumers not savvy enough to realize that they are being bamboozled into ordering from someone other than the florist listed. If they click on the convenient links instead of picking up the phone and calling, who knows who will eventually end up with the order but it more than likely will NOT be the florist they were choosing.

I just feel very disgusted.

WELL they managed to miss my town on the list.. LOOK the next major town over and some listed are long gone... I know if i contacted a couple of the shops in that city they would not be impressed and would want removed from the list.

Have you sent an email/phone call aksing to be removed?

Domain ownership:

Domain Name:FLORISTSANDFLOWERS.ORG
Created On:23-Nov-2011 00:00:01 UTC
Last Updated On:23-Nov-2011 00:39:13 UTC
Expiration Date:23-Nov-2012 00:00:01 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:eNom, Inc. (R39-LROR)
Registrant ID:52f8c51754e75825
Registrant Name:Chris Greenwood
Registrant Street1:1888 Watson St
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Victoria
Registrant State/Province:BC
Registrant Postal Code:v8r 6n6
Registrant Country:CA
Registrant Phone:+1.2502178581
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:+1.5555555555
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:

I sent them a notice, as usual asking that my info be removed... doubt that will happen. It appears they are going for affiliate sales...

Update:

I've spoken to Chris, anyone can claim their listing should they so choose. Once you do that, you can add a hot link to the listing, and edit / add information. I'll have the info on how to do that tomorrow (all I have is my phone til the am).

I did plant the thought about making the AdWords disappear once a listing is claimed.

More investigation needed, more info to follow.

I guess it's as simple as creating a listing. I did this morning, hot link and all... Still have a duplicate that needs to be removed, and I'm working on the adwords thing...

I posted a comment and we will see if Chris allows its publication or at the very least contacts me. In the are I browsed a good number of the shops listed are no longer open.

Doug, I raised that point as well, they're working to code a "alert tool" ( for lack of a better term on my part) ..

More investigation needed...still

And Sandy, there's a link on the front page... Include an email address and they'll notify you.

Well this is really interesting because the "Flower Experts" link that is on everybodys listing in Victoria clicks to Jennings Florist which is a local florist here in Victoria that has been here for years. Since I am in Victoria if they look at my listing and click on that link they will get to Jennings so I think I will have them remove my listing for sure unless they take away that link that is currently on everyones listing. I am going to send them an email right now and see what happens or I'll just call Jennings tomorrow and talk to them directly.

I emailed Chris as well and learned a few things. The adds shown are all google adds so I guess it is no worse than in google places that also now have google adds on our individual place pages. I did notice the adds change on a rotating basis so it does not always show the "Flower Expert"Jennings link on my page but it seems to do it most of the time which is still a real concern .At list this site is not a siphon for FTD like the Canadasflorists site where I had my listing removed. I will probably go ahead and claim my listing for now and put my own website link and info on there which should discourage people from clicking on the google add. I still plan on keeping an eye on it and if anything fishy shows up I will then have my listing removed.

Dianne

The last post here seems to have been some time ago. I was wondering if anyone has had a good or bad experience with this directory. I checked it out and entered my home state of Maine, and got a message saying they couldn't find Maine. It doesn't say a lot.