You Can Make Your Blog A Must-read For Customers (& Attract Lots More Web Traffic)

Gina B Kellogg

Pro Member
Sep 30, 2011
Overland Park
www.hottcornflakes.com
State / Prov
KS
You CAN Make Your Blog a Must-Read for Customers (& Attract LOTS More Web Traffic)
You sit there, staring at a blank page on your computer screen. You tip back your chair and look at the ceiling. You balance on two legs, willing yourself not to fall backward. You squeeze your eyes shut—hard—because, after all, the tighter you squeeze them, the more vigorously your brain works, right? Nevertheless, despite all of these strenuous efforts, you still can’t come up with an idea for your next blog.
Aargh!
One of the keys to ensuring your blog successfully supports the SEO (search-engine optimization) efforts of your website is regularity. You need to regularly add content—that is, write an article and post it to your blog. But coming up with ideas? That can be hard for lots of florists.
It shouldn’t be, though. The topics for your blogs are all around you! You actually discuss them daily with your customers and your staff. How’s that? Because the topics about which your customers are asking are the perfect topics for your blog. More specifically, the questions your customers ask you are the perfect headlines and topics for your blog.
One small-business owner learned this firsthand a few years ago when he faced a crisis in his pool-construction company. The recession had hit hard, and his company’s marketing and advertising budget was reduced to a tenth of what it had been. Being forced to overhaul his marketing and do something drastic to encourage some sales, the owner, Marcus Sheridan, focused almost exclusively on generating sales by writing informational blog posts and videos. Today, his efforts have resulted in his company recovering and surpassing what it had achieved before the recession hit.
And it’s all due to his blog. Seriously.
In fact, his content-marketing efforts have been so successful that, today, while he still is part owner of his pool-construction biz, he spends nearly all of his time consulting and mentoring other businesses so they can duplicate his success. And one of his favorite tips on determining what content to post on your blog? Answering customers’ questions.
In an interview with The New York Times, a reporter asked Sheridan how content marketing saved his company. He replied that he started thinking about how he uses the Internet—how, when he types in a search, he’s looking for an answer to a specific question.
"The problem in my industry, and a lot of industries, is you don’t get a lot of great search results because most businesses don’t want to give answers,” he told The Times. He explained that most businesses just want to talk about themselves. He realized that if he simply answered the questions that people asked about his product—fiberglass pools—then he might be able to generate enough interest from web surfers to save his company.

His technique worked. He started off by answering his most-frequently asked question, “How much does a fiberglass pool cost?” He followed that with a blog on “Problems with fiberglass pools.” And he kept writing, taking every question customers have ever asked him or his staff and turning them into blog posts.
Now, you’re likely shaking your head, thinking, “I can’t tell people how much flowers cost on my website! There are too many variables!” But that’s the point, Sheridan says. All those different variables are what you discuss in your article. As he points out, “That’s the magic behind this (technique). Google’s search engine doesn’t really care if we answer the question. It’s just looking for companies that are willing to address the question.”
So, in Sheridan’s blog on price, he describes how the customer has lots of options, about the huge variances in price and then offers up the range between lowest and highest prices. Within 24 hours of posting his article, he said it was No. 1 for every fiberglass-pool, cost-related phrase typed in to Google, Yahoo! and the other search engines. To this day, he says, he can track a minimum of $1.7 million in sales to that one article.
Sheridan offers lots more great advice in that Times article, on his marketing website and also in a free e-book he wrote, Inbound and Content Marketing Made Easy. You definitely should check out each of these links. In the meantime, though, I pulled together a list of some questions you can use to develop your upcoming blog articles. (It's included in the first comment section below.) Add your own ideas to this list to ensure you cover all the questions your customers ask. (Keep a notepad next to your phone or cash register and religiously add every customer question to it whenever you or your staff hear one.)
Never again be at a loss for what to write about for your next blog. The answer (and question) are already staring you in the face…
Have you answered similar questions on your blog? What has been the response? Share your experience in the comments below.

Here is the list of ideas to get you started!

Questions and Topics for Your Next Blog
  • Are My Favorite Flowers Currently In Season?
  • What Are Different Styles of Flower Designs?
  • How Do I Care for my Flower Arrangement?
  • What Are New Flower Varieties?
  • How Long Do Flowers Last?
  • Can I Customize a Flower Arrangement?
  • Can I Request a Specific Time for the Delivery of a Flower Arrangement?
  • Is There Any Special Information Needed to Deliver an Arrangement to a Hospital?
  • Do Florists Deliver on Sundays and Holidays?
  • What Is in Flower Preservative?
  • Where Do Flowers Come From?
  • Why Does the Price of Flowers Go up During Holidays?
  • Should You Send Flowers to a Funeral if the Obituary Says Not to?
  • What Determines the Price of a Flower Arrangement?
  • If I Need to Cancel a Flower Order, Will I Get a Refund?
  • Do Flowers Come With a Guarantee?
  • Will a Florist Work Within My Budget?
  • What Is the Difference Between Supermarket Flowers and Florist Flowers?
  • Are All Flowers Available Year-Round?
  • Do Florists Offer Same-Day Delivery?
  • What Is the Difference Between Boxed Flowers and Flowers From a Florist?
  • Can a Local Florist Send Flowers Internationally?
  • What Do I Do if I Don't Have Enough Flower Food?
  • Which Flowers Last the Longest?
  • How Can I Make my Flowers Last Longer?
  • What Are Current Bridal Styles?
  • How Do Florists Set Their Fees?
  • What Is the Cost of Wedding Flowers?
  • Do Florists Provide Any Extras for Weddings?
  • What Is the Best Timeline for Making Flower Arrangements for a Wedding?
  • Can I See Samples of My Florist’s Work?
  • Why Do Florists Charge a Delivery Fee?
  • What Are the Instructions for Preserving a Bridal Bouquet?
  • What Tips Can a Florist Offer to Help Save Money?
  • Do Florists Require a Deposit?
  • What Should I Bring to the Flower Shop When I Have My Wedding Consultation?
  • When Do You Need to Provide Final Numbers on Wedding Flowers to the Florist?
  • Can I See a Portfolio of Photographs From Previous Weddings My Florist Has Worked on?
  • Do Florists Take More Than One Wedding Per Day?
  • Do Florists Carry Liability Insurance?
  • What Is a Typical Refund/Cancellation Process for a Florist?

Reactions: concord
A florist blog while it seems "sexy" is a lot of work.
Anyone considering one or currently running one should treat it a a mission critical part of their business, not something that is a one time set up and then collects dust. All too often while surfing the web I stumble across florist blogs (or blogs in general) that are under construction or haven't been updated in weeks or months. In speaking to florists often I hear comments such as "no one visits my blog" or "I don't really think blogs do much for a business", generally after hearing these statements I visit their blog. Most times its very apparent why their blog is not contributing to their busiiness, there is simply nothing there to attract any interest.I often wonder why they even bother, the little bit of time and effort they have spent on their blog would bring them better results if they simply dropped off flyers around their neighborhoods.

A blog should be part of your overall social media strategy (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest) and like all social media must be a living breathing entity (so to speak). For it to be successful you must capture the hearts and interest of your potential followers. A blog requires traffic to be successful, traffic on the web is generated largely by search engine results, search engines like "fresh and relevant" content. So don't copy and paste or simply link to someone else's content, you must create. This does not mean re-inventing the wheel, if you find an interesting article about flowers you can use the theme or concept as a starting point and expand upon it (but don't plagiarize!). The ultimate goal is to create content that is so appealing that other websites and blogs (particularly well ranked ones) link to your articles.

A blog is still something that the local "mom and pop" flower shop can do better than the big boys. Case in point? Teleflora or FTD, both have tremendous resources and both have blogs that stink and couldn't attract flies. Teleflora's simply gathers and publishes news-feeds related to flowers, no heart, no soul.

Our own social media strategy consists of Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and two blogs (one within our website, and one stand alone) Yes its a lot of work, but over time it will give you a leg up over your competitors. It certainly has and continues to work for us.

Reactions: concord and theRKF
Thanks to you both for the helpful blog info. I start with the best of intentions and write a few in a row and then just fizzle. I have no idea why I can't get consistent with blogging because it's not that hard once I start. How often would you say I should be blogging to get results with out driving myself crazy? Is once a week enough? I think I need a concrete goal and deadline to get my blog going again.

There's a lots of advice on how often you should write. Some of what I've read recommends that if you write several times a week, you can get away with fairly short blogs. But the more time between blogs, the longer each blog should be. Ryan may have some specific advice based on his research. But, generally, if you write weekly and your blog is at least 300 words long, then that should do a good job of supporting your SEO efforts.

The simple rule we follow is that you have to blog often enough to hold peoples interest. Simple? Yeah Right!

We blog daily, seven days a week. Has it paid off, I like to think so. However it has proven to be an incredible amount of work and not something that could likely be accomplished while owner trying to operate an independent retail flower shop. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. a lot of the reason behind our efforts on social media is brand building as we have 40 franchised locations under our name.

My one piece of advice is incorporate your blog into your e-commerce website as that is ultimately where you want the traffic to go. We have a blog in our site
( www.growerdirect.com ), and we also maintain a stand alone blog ( www.funflowerfacts.com ) the challenge with the stand alone blog is getting the visitors to our eCommerce site to convert them to sales. Having your blog in your ecommerce site kills two birds with one stone, it means continuous fresh relevant content on your site for search engines, and your readers are frequently visiting your site so sales potential goes up dramatically ( Google also loves increased traffic to a site)

How do you always know what i'm struggling with HAHAHA! I have blog more on my to do list... now I need to use those questions you posted and do one of my idea circles. Then I will have several topics. With Blogger, and with my florist website, I can schedule blog posts. I used to sit down on Sunday and write 1 - 3 articles and schedule them for different times during the week... now I just need to get back on the wagon. So the to-do list now becomes a plan and a schedule.