Status
Not open for further replies.

Zimraphel

Sep 8, 2010
Burbank
State / Prov
CA
Zimrpahel Intro

My name is Laura Eppich. I am an apprentice florist/student with Pierce College in Woodland Hills, CA. I am having difficulty obtaining work experience because my college doesn't place its students, and have no luck with local florists because those I have called either refuse outright to help, or string me along. I have a Facebook page (still a work in progress) with my independent work, and am hoping someone can help, or knows someone who wants a hard-working, responsible, older student to volunteer in their shop. I have done some Teleflora as well as a lot of original work.

My name is Laura Eppich. I am an apprentice florist/student with Pierce College in Woodland Hills, CA. I am having difficulty obtaining work experience because my college doesn't place its students, and have no luck with local florists because those I have called either refuse outright to help, or string me along. I have a Facebook page (still a work in progress) with my independent work, and am hoping someone can help, or knows someone who wants a hard-working, responsible, older student to volunteer in their shop. I have done some Teleflora as well as a lot of original work.

have [had] no luck with local florists because those I have called either refuse outright to help, or string me along.

Laura, welcome to FlowerChat....

From your [edited] statement above, one thing glares out at me... my standard answer when someone calls my store to inquire if we are hiring is "we do not give that information out over the phone". Sorry, but if you do not have the energy to get off the couch and come talk to me, then you do not have enough energy to work in a busy full service flower studio...

Right now the floral industry is almost in a stand still waiting mode... good designers are in demand, but to hire someone today most shops would have to fire someone to make room. Many of us are waiting to see what happens in January...

Best wishes...

Hi Laura.......your frustration is apparent..shops are NOT "stringing you along", many are just HANGING on, and many WON'T give you the time of day on the phone......Facebook is NOT good enough, "face" time through some shop doors will probably be far more productive, and as good as you "think" you are, and undoubtedly you have the passion, this biz is NOT for the faint of heart.
Don't take this the wrong way...MANY of us have indeed given the opportunity for "volunteers" such as yourself, and many of us have been dinged as a result.....let your feet do the walking AND talking!

Status
Not open for further replies.