Not open for further replies.

ROBSWF

Nov 6, 2004
Indianapolis
www.oberers.com
State / Prov
Indiana
1-800-THE-ROSE.com
Anyone ever heard of them? They are in our local phone book this year with a half page ad. When you go to their website, it tells you that they are now part of 800flowers.com. Just curious, I have never seen the name before.

Does it really matter anymore?

For how many years have we been talking about Phone book ads or Internet diversions we all keep seeing in Our Markets? Do any of you see a decrease in the activities?
Someone out there is filling those diversions and it is Not Me. We figured out who was using Our Money and cut the blood line to the CANCER CELLS.

Florists have no power to stop this but they do hold the key to their front door of their business but unfortuntely some have had the locksmith make a few copys for the Companys they hire who said they would "help them market customers".

Peace!

1-800-the -rose was one of the original nationally advertised florist gathers. The gathered by phone rather than internet. Not sure if they ever did get into internet business. I believe 1-800 bought them out.

About the phone books..
our phone book this year was down to 2 ads. Flowers sent today and Buning the florist. I was very pleased to see the decline. Then Yellow book enter the market in our area. The book just arrived in our store last week. There are now 7 OG with ads. 2 or 3 of them have full page, the others 1/2 page.

Knifes wife

Blue Oyster Cult said:
Florists have no power to stop this

Excuse me sir... but I beg to differ~!

And I am going to expect you will some day allow me to tell you "I told you so!"

Real Florists...Retail Florists hold the key to making the difference and affecting the change. No it will not happen quickly, no it will not be easy, and no we won't get much help in the beginning, but it will be so, we will prevail and move forward.

There is much happening, growing and evolving in the industry and at some point, those that are currently denying that the problem exists, like SAF, Congress and others are going to have to deal with it, and they are already starting to pay serious attention to the matter of deception in the floral industry.

The wire services had their chance to make a difference, to continue partnering with the Real Florists and grow the industry in an honest and forthright manner. They chose speed and greed over ethics, and someday soon it is going to come back and bite them in the ass. The problem they have now, is that they have been caught with their pantZ down, not sure which will be worse, continuing the deception for as long as possible and deal with that sh*t or reaching down, grabing hold and pulling them up thru that sh*t, because either way they get sh*t on themselves, they can't decide which is going to be worse.

Thing is, they have now waited too long, allowed, condoned and fostered too much deceit and become part of and master to the very problem that will be their end as we know them.

They are obsolete dinosaur's in their current form, waiting for a much needed make-over. I'd be willing to bet the Green Group is basically speachless. Notice they have said nothing, but I now for a fact they have knowledge of the problem. I'd bet too that they are wondering just what the hell it is they bought themselves besides trouble.

Florists big and small are making different choices, making changes to their businesses, eliminating exposure to the very companies that only two short years ago they were "partnering" with. Big florist's, some that buy more fresh product at wholesale than many shops do in retail sales have cut orders completely. Even they are seeing that it is not in their best interest to partner with their competition.

Yes the BIG2 will now most likely become the BIG4, but they are only as powerful as we allow them to be in reality, and it can be changed and it can be different. Should one decide to truely, honestly and openly partner with the Real Florists, no BS, not smoke and mirrors, then that one, will reap the rewards due. Should none of them do so, then the Real Florists will make their own way, a new way that has the industries best interest at heart. It can and will be done, it will happen.

I don't have time anymore to worry about what they are doing to me, because they are doing nothing, I only have time look forward, work for a soloution to the current problem and get onto the next, because there is work to be done.

Oh, one other thing...I have not yet begun to fight!!!

Reactions: 1 person
My only thing I'm wondering about is why the Fsi membership Boss? because of the alliance that MAS say's they are not part of?

Come on people do I have to be the guinea pig who asks these question only to be known as the "Reaper" of this board?

I know I have said this before, I'm sitting in the cheap seats just watching the games being played....this is better than the Lions have played in 40 years!. Have fun everyone!

that's Guinea Pig (sorry have had so many of them)

flowerknife+us said:
1-800-the -rose was one of the original nationally advertised florist gathers. The gathered by phone rather than internet. Not sure if they ever did get into internet business. I believe 1-800 bought them out.

knifes wife

Were they based in Brooklyn?
If they were, then they were one of the first flowerSoft customers I had when they were real florists. A few years after that they sold the shop and became an order gatherer. They then switched to RTI.
The owner (Spiro Avdoulous (sp) I think was his name) always had very ahead-of-the-times ideas, many of which were incorcorated into flowerSoft. For example, he was one of the first one to buy url names and then re-sell them to those who wanted them. He has a big mural painted on the side of a builing he owned that was very visible from one of NYC bussiest highways advertising his 1-800-the-rose. And you are right, allhis gathering was done through the phones and yellow pages ads he took out all over the country.
Later on, his sons began taking over the business. They were a very nice family, at least to me.

Blue Oyster Cult said:
My only thing I'm wondering about is why the Fsi membership Boss?

Hmmm... guess you have some sources nearly as good as mine, BUT NOT QUITE!

I am not a member of FSI, nor does my business have a membership.

Do I have contact with John Carruthers? Yes, as I do with many other industry people, like SAF, not a member there either at this point, Teleflora, yep them too, have an "in my store meeting" with them today, and again, not a member. Do I speak to the folks at IFA? yep, and here I do have a membership, ETFA...yep but not a member there, and many other industry segments.

I'm feeling a little "guilty by association" coming my way from down south...just because of my choice of technology? But thats OK, cuz IMHO this is my best chance to affect change and work for ALL the REAL FLORISTS in North America. Something better is coming!!!

As a funny (to me) side note...as it stands right now FTD is the only company not talking to me...was it something I said?...most likely...usually is :)

Blue,

Blue Oyster Cult said:
My only thing I'm wondering about is why the Fsi membership Boss? because of the alliance that MAS say's they are not part of?!
Blue,
Not really sure what your beef is with MAS, but there are many MAS shops that utilize vendors outside the alliance. Shops use Media 99, FTD & Teleflora site as well, like us our own websites.

The alliance is nothing more than a group of vendors offering their services to todays retail florist. No single person or group owns all of these vendors. The way I see it they have just combined their marketing efforts to reach more forward looking florists. I really dont think that there is any funny business going on here. Do you?

No Rob I'm just asking questions that's all......

Btw, who ever found it nessessary to red dot ding me on this thread for asking questions should have your head examined.

Blue Oyster Cult said:
My only thing I'm wondering about is why the Fsi membership Boss? because of the alliance that MAS say's they are not part of?

When did they say that? For Pete's sake, they even posted a picture of them all together, and have sent out promotional material with all names listed.

Reading between lines again?

Status
Not open for further replies.