Gina B Kellogg

Pro Member
Sep 30, 2011
Overland Park
www.hottcornflakes.com
State / Prov
KS
4 Smart Tips to Soothe Post-Holiday Complainers

As hard as you worked to make sure every Valentine's Day order was handled perfectly for every customer, you may discover today that some customers weren't happy with their gifts. When you learn of errors (or, at least, errors in the eyes of your customers), how do you handle them? After all, the Internet gives angry customers "a megaphone" with which to voice their complaints.

To keep a problem from escalating, you need to make sure you follow some specific steps. They include the following four smart steps to soothing cranky customers:

1) Respond to the complaint.

If you ignore the gripe, you may incite the complainer to take his or her unhappiness to the 'Net. Using social media, that person could influence countless numbers of both current and prospective customers. Consider the example of what happened when United Airlines damaged a musician's guitar and then ignored his complaints. He uploaded a YouTube video in which he voiced his anger--and it got 12 million views. Granted, few of your customers are likely to get that same amount of attention should they go online with their grievances. But you never know to whom you are delivering a bouquet. So you don't want to take the chance of a misunderstanding going viral.

2. Acknowledge the individual.

Awhile back, Bank of America got hammered by customer protests when it added a fee that would negatively impact millions of its debit-card holders. Rather than backtracking and admitting it had made a mistake in anticipating clients' response, the company tried to defend itself--and protests against the company were even more vehement.

And, again, while you won't be facing multitudes of complainers like Bank of America, just one customer on Facebook or Twitter can air the message to a much wider audience. So if you or someone in your shop made a mistake, own up to it honestly. Surveys show that customers appreciate and even admire owners and executives who are willing to fall on their sword. Be compassionate and professional in your response, even if you hate to admit you were wrong.

3. Don't elevate the issue.

Sure, you take a lot of pride in your shop and what you deliver to customers. You darned well don't want to accept blame for an issue that wasn't your fault (such as a wire-service order that got delivered too late or a customer who provided an incorrect address). Nevertheless, don't let that pride lead you to a response in which you blame or discredit the the complainer. You'll only sound like a bully, even if you are in the right. So avoid any criticism--whether directly or via innuendo--back at the customer. By putting him on the defensive, you may end up with an even bigger issue--especially if it turns out you actually were to blame for the complaint.

4. Swallow your pride and apologize.

When reality sets in and you realize you made an error, it's time to admit your fault. As tempting as it is to make excuses, don't. Simply vow to fix the issue and promise it won't happen again. Don't make the mistake of Netflix's CEO after the price-changing debacle several years back. Though he did apologize for his bungled response to customers' backlash when the company announced its restructured pricing, he continued to try to argue his case via social media. The response? His company's stock sunk 40 percent. Ouch!

The lesson? You could create more problems with your apology than you solve when you try to make excuses.

Did you experience customer complaints and are unsure how to respond? Send your questions to [email protected]. And don't forget to ask your fellow florists for support. Check on some great tips FlowerChatters offered one member's cry for help when she was notified about a complaint--five months after the floral delivery!

Gina,

I had one complaint this year. The recipient was VERY unhappy with her flowers, I could understand that much out of her heavy accent and rapid-fire speech. It took me quite some time to narrow the problem down, she gave me so much information that it was difficult to get to the real issue.

She didn't like the color, the filler, or carnations. The sender ordered it from my website by name.

I see nothing wrong with the picture she sent me, even though she did not bother to take it out of the box ~ the container is specific to the design. She told me she was "totally embarrassed by the wilted and frozen flowers that don't look anything like the picture on my website".

I kept my cool and told her I wanted to replace the flowers with something she would like, asking questions about what colors, style, and flowers she likes. I will be replacing it tomorrow and I desperately hope that she likes what I have done. The sender spent $30 on the flowers and she will be getting full value with no carnations or baby's breath. It will be small.

Here are the images she sent, I assume the guard petals on the rose are the "wilted and frozen" part. Dang little petals on those spray roses ~ they often get missed in the cleaning.
IMG_20130214_144357.jpgIMG_20130214_144345.jpg

Here is the image from my website. Whoops! I see I forgot the waxflower in hers. Ugh!
a798a54c2776c4e21d4f150dc31b928c.jpg

I couldn't access the link to the pics she sent you, but it sounds like you handled it perfectly (even if she was totally unjustified in her complaints--which it sure sounds like she was! What an ungrateful, unappreciative gift recipient!). Let us know how she responds!

Reactions: anytimeflowers
The customer is always right.... even when they are wrong.<period

I beg to differ. Only twice in my career have I felt the need to fire a customer and this Valentine's Day was one of them. We had a woman come in several days before Valentine's Day with a picture from 1800Flowers. http://ww12.1800flowers.com/product.do?baseCode=91790&dataset=10314&cm_cid=d10314 She told us she wanted it to look exactly like the picture (except the magazine pic she brought in had pink roses). Of couse we didn't have the silver vase so she spent about 45 minutes looking at every vase we had before deciding. She also picked out the exact variety of rose (Taiga-which open up large and beautifully). She was told at the time of ordering that it most definitely would NOT look like the picture upon delivery but that it would look closer within 4-5 days when the roses fully bloomed. Our sales person tried to talk her into using some greens and/or accent flower in order to hold the roses in place until they opened up. She would have none of it. She came in again before Valentine's Day and spent almost an hour with another sales associate and had her look it up online and print out the picture and she looked at vases again. Guess who called within an hour of us delivering to her Mother on Valentine's Day? Yep. She was pissed because the arrangement didn't look like the picture!! Of course not! It was 24 roses flopping around in a vase with no greens or anything. She talked to my manager at that particular location who told her she wasn't sure what she could do to change it as she had picked out the vase and roses and insisted that we couldn't use any greens. My manager tried to offer her a refund if she brought them back in but kept getting cut off and couldn't get a word in edgewise. She then proceeded to come to the store and ask to talk to my manager's boss so they came and got me. I very calmly listened to her and then apologized they were not what she expected and said we would give her a complete refund if she brought them back in. She told me she was not bring them back in and I told her we could pick them up if she liked. She was not happy with what I said because she wanted me to throw my manager under the bus. I tried to say as little as possible but I wasn't going to do that. She had been a high maintenance customer (and I normally have no problem with that) who was looking to get something for nothing. She kept going on and on about how we don't know anything about customer service (she had called my manager a horrible manager on the phone and told her she had no right to have that job). I told her the name of the CEO of the company and offered to give her our corporate number if she felt the need to call him. She then started in on my manager again while she was at the sales counter assisting another customer. At that point my manager tried to say something and she cut her off and yelled "learn to speak English!" (My manger is originally from Lithuania and has an accent). At that point she was leaving the store and I starting helping another man who had some questions about a cyclamen. She interrupted me again and starting asking me again who my superior was. At that point I told her "mam, I'm with a customer" and she walked away finally. So, yeah, customers are not always right. This woman was completely unreasonable and would not hear what we were telling her. In retrospect I wish we had refused the order from her but I'm 99% sure that would have brought a complaint as well in that we were unwilling to help her. After it was all over I found out that she had ordered flowers last year and complained and we had given her a partial discount. She also told the original sales person that "we probably weren't going to make her happy" several times the first time she came in. Oh, and she had tried to return two lbs of crab legs in the grocery store saying they weren't good. We had sold them fresh and she brought them back in frozen with freezer burn on them. She did end up bringing the roses back in and the grocery store manager refunded her money to her.
I have a really hard time admitting we can't make someone happy and will bend over backwards to achieve it. But I really hope I never see this woman again. (P.S. I'm pretty sure another shop in town has told her they can't help her anymore).

Sandy,

It sounds as if you did everything you could do ~ so the customer WAS right, even when she was dead wrong! For future reference it may have been a good idea to use shred in her vase if it was not clear although the roses STILL would not have been open.

IMO, she's more crazy than anything else!
[MENTION=6057]Gina B Kellogg[/MENTION] ~ I changed how I put the customer's pics in, hope you can see them now.

Reactions: sandytf
There are definately some people that can not be pleased and when they become abusive I have no problem asking them to leave and not come back. There are times when the PC," customer is always right" line just doesn't cut it. Fortunately, it doesn't happen often.

Just a little update. I had gotten this woman's schedule which was why we agreed I would deliver her replacement flowers between 11:00 and Noon yesterday. I got there at 11:30 only to be told that she was not there! I left the flowers anyway ~ no more trips ~ that delivery zone is $12 and this was our third trip. I told the office girls to call her and that I would also email her and that I did not want the original back. I got back in the afternoon to find an email from her that she sent at 11:53 "informing" me that she had called in sick. I emailed right back telling her I'd left the flowers. I also added "GET WELL SOON!"

Just now, this email came from her ~ I absolutely dreaded opening it but we must persevere with the loonies.

Here it is.......

Ohh, Thanks for the flowers! Sorry I missed you, I thought I was curse I was having a difficult week with illnesses and now my son has walking pneumonia, that why I missed yesterday.
But I have to say everyone at the office loved the flowers you send, I told then to open them and keep them in the main office until I arrived today, thanks for remaking them.
They are lovely,they brighten my day!

I know it was difficult, you plow thru like a master, good people skills :)

satisfaction 5 star!!

Reactions: sandytf