Aifd candidates design challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWK

Jun 3, 2007
San Antonio
State / Prov
Texas
Ok, We have some designers on flowerchat who are wanting to go for AIFD. Some are planning on testing in Kansas City this next symposium....some others are going to wait further.
When you test for AIFD, There are five designs that you will do. They are a sympathy tribute, an arrangement of some type, a wearing/body flower, a wedding design, and a designer's choice.

When you arrive at the testing....YOU THEN find out what specific designs you will be making in each of the five categories.

SO, I am going to "ANNOUNCE" what ype of design and I would like to see pictures of what you did for this.....and our AIFD members on FC....CHR, Jamese, BJ, Twila, and others.....lets all critique these designs and help these people reach their goal of being AIFD.

-----------------------------------------------------

YOUR FIRST CHALLENGE - BODY/WEARING FLOWER CATEGORY

A boutonniere for the BEST MAN

Reactions: 1 person
I would say post them here......simply because not everybody on FC who is AIFD already is not yet a member of the group.

But if you all think it better to post them there and we invite all the FC members who are AIFD to come into the group and evaluate....we can do that to.

yuck.

This Truly is my weakest. I really hate corsages and bouts. They take forever to make. can't stand 'em.

So I got a question Ricky... I like to glue stuff occasionally. And when I do, I like to use pan glue rather than that tube stuff. I think it's cause I learned to do that when I was about 19 and It dries SO much faster than the tube stuff. ( I hate HATE slow).

So let me ask this: If pan glued my components would I be marked off for that??

I believe it is wire and tape, my dear!
mechanics, mechanics, mechanics

yuck.

This Truly is my weakest. I really hate corsages and bouts. They take forever to make. can't stand 'em.

So I got a question Ricky... I like to glue stuff occasionally. And when I do, I like to use pan glue rather than that tube stuff. I think it's cause I learned to do that when I was about 19 and It dries SO much faster than the tube stuff. ( I hate HATE slow).

So let me ask this: If pan glued my components would I be marked off for that??
Not neccesarily - If the glue technique is done well.....it should not be counted off.....however, if there is a big glob of glue where there should not be, then yes it would.

Now, If I am faced with two designs.....both of them equally creative, well done, all things the same......one of them glued and one wired and taped....then I would give more credence to the wire and tape because it shows a greater technique

Vice versa - the same thing.....glue done well and perfectly and poor techniques on the wired and taped.....then the glued one would get the higher score.

This is a breakdown of what we look at when we evaluate - this is taken from my score sheets.

Category Interpretation - Suitability of the design to criteria

Scale/Proportion - Relative relationship in size, quantity, and degree of emphasis between components within the design, the relationship of a composition to the environment

Balance (Physical and Visual) - State of equlibrium, actual or visual, a feeling of three-dimensional stability

Line (Movement and Rythym) - Vital Visual Path that directs the eye through the composition.

Color (Balance, Harmony, Rythym) - Proper use, application, understanding of color theory

Creativity - Artistic inventiveness, originality

Unity (Harmony, Texture) - Oneness of purpose, thought, style, spirit, the organization od companents into a harmonius whole resulting in a cohesive relationship of all parts.

Focal Emphasis - Area of greatest visual impact or weight, center of interest ro which the eye is drawn

Depth - Placement of materials at different levels in and around the composition.

Mechanics (Professional Application ) - craftsmanship and technique of design

Each of the above criteria will be scored to the following scale

5 - Excellent - Exceptional use of design principles and elements with a strong creative flair
4 - Above Average - Good consistent application of design principles and elements with a creative flair
3 - Average - Good design work, apllying use of the principles and elements of design, but not demonstrating any special flair or creative emphasis
2 - Below Average - Weak in the application of design principles and elements and creativity, would not qualify as a good basic design
1 - Not Acceptable - Design work lacking the application of the principles of design and shows no creativity.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This what your evaluators will look at when they see and start to critique your designs for AES.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

** Just as a side note - in all my judging I have never given a score of 1 or not acceptable ***

Ok,

so let me ask this:

would a pocket square be fitting for a bout??

And if so, how do you tape and wire it? Maybe Rhonda knows.

what are you saying Rhonda, gluing is bad mechanics????

no, just that AIFD goes into deep explanation on wiring techniques. See pages 169-175 of the AIFD Guide to Floral Design. If such mechanics were not highly thought of, would they still be in the book if gluing makes wiring passe?
And as a side note, our mmfd course requires wire and tape for mechanics in our body flowers testing...no glue. (I don't know what AIFD actually requires)

Reactions: 1 person
If you feel that a pocket square design would meet the design criteria for a boutonierre for the best man, then go for it.

Ok,

so let me ask this:

would a pocket square be fitting for a bout??

And if so, how do you tape and wire it? Maybe Rhonda knows.

Pocket Square as defined by AIFD:
a square piece of silk, linen or other fabric that is owrn in the left-hand breast pocket of a suit or tuxedo jacket. It is usually coordingated with the vest, cummerbund or tie.
Boutonniere: a flower or cluster of flowers and/or foliage designed to be worn on the lapel
Lapel: either of the two fold-back edges of a jacket that are continuous with the collar.

So if you read that right (by definition) a "pocket square" is not a bout.??

by the way, for discussion not dictation

tape and wire techniques AND glueing techniques are both perfectly acceptable mechanical techniques.....each technique has it's advantages and disadvantages.

What we look at Rhonda is not how the design is done, but how professionaly the design is done. If the design is wired and taped and there is a length of bare, uncovered wire showing......that is not good. If there is a big wad of glue showing, that is not good.

We look at HOW WELL the technique is done....not the technique itself

Pocket Square as defined by AIFD:
a square piece of silk, linen or other fabric that is owrn in the left-hand breast pocket of a suit or tuxedo jacket. It is usually coordingated with the vest, cummerbund or tie.
Boutonniere: a flower or cluster of flowers and/or foliage designed to be worn on the lapel
Lapel: either of the two fold-back edges of a jacket that are continuous with the collar.

So if you read that right (by definition) a "pocket square" is not a bout.??

This type of thing would be evaluated under 'Category Interpretation'
How well the submitted design fits the assigned category. If Shannon thinks that a pocket square design would fit the category, and she does the design.....I would look at that design and decide how well it fits the category.....In this case I would scorea probably a 4 ( technically, it does not fit the definition of a boutonierre, but it certainly can function as a alternative boutonierre )

As with most judged events, I believe it depends on the judge also. But if I was going for it, I would definitely want to know the answers to those questions. There is a pre-test school in Buffalo some time soon I believe. There are a few going from Maine.

That is very true - there is a certain amount of subjectiveness that comes into play - however, that's why we have the form.....it helps us to look at the design as objectively as possible.

Rhonda,

Are you AIFD? Have you judged for AES? If so, how would you evaluate a pocket square? Would you feel it appro?

Thank You Connie - Hopefully we will eventually see some great designs....and even better, we will see our Flowerchat friends walk across that stage.......and recieve their pin.....and they will be AIFD

I guess, I should validate my questions. So I don't sound like I'm trying to stir poo.

I personally see so many new ways to do what I call "wearables" these days.

Pocket squares, arm bands, the body flowers that just stick onto your skin, etc.

So My REAL question is, Are all of those types of designs have the type of "something special" AIFD wants, or are they just kinda "flash in the pan" type of designs. Are they wanting good old fashioned, tried and true mechanics or newer more hip (so to speak) mechanics.

Does that make sense? If not I will try to explain again.

Status
Not open for further replies.