Aifd candidates design challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shannon - Your question does make sense, however in a way you are overthinking it. All those designs are great and could and have been submitted at one time or the other.

What we "want" is exceptional creativity, flawless mechanics, excellent understanding and grasp of the principles and elements of design.

In the post that covers the evaluation criteria - there is NOTHING that specifies whether or not a certain design style applies..........the most misunderstood thing with AIFD is that we just want the really creative.....and that is not really the case.

Perhaps one of the other member of AIFD can explain better "what we want". I don;t know if I am getting across what I am trying to.

Rhonda,

Are you AIFD? Have you judged for AES? If so, how would you evaluate a pocket square? Would you feel it appro?

no but I slept at a Holiday Inn last night..... :blowkiss:
seriously, at my age and empty pockets, I'll probably never test. Just the credits needed to maintain the addendum after you have it is kind of out of my range.
I have 34 going on 35 years of "experience" and missed my FTD master test by one dang latin name...
I have been a helper at the Eastern Region Design Contest...can't remember the exact name of it, don't think they do it anymore, and listened intently to the judges as they went around.
And my instructor (a very good friend) Ann Jordan AAF AIFD mmfd has mentored all her masters students by AIFD standards.
Also attended AIFD Across America... and have attended almost every hands on workshop, design show, education programs offered for every one of the 34 years.
Just trying to be helpful :squish:

Reactions: 1 person
The only other thing I can say shannon and to others - post a picture of a design you did that YOU think fits the challenge criteria. We'll evaluate it and maybe that will help to cement "what AIFD wants".

well, the reason I ask is this....

So In the "kansas city here we come" group, I posted (as far as I am concerned) an almost perfect pink cube arrangement.

However, as you and Carol said, It needs more zing so to speak for AIFD.

YES I KNOW I OVER THINK EVERYTHING!!!! sorry, it's how I roll.

Ok - On that pink cube design - What was it designed for?

In other words - Would you submit that design for a best man's boutonierre? Would you submit that design for a teenager in the hospital? Would you submit that design for a table for two? Would you submit that design for a eight foot buffet table?

What we meant by that is that the design would score a three - Average design showing good principles and elements of design, but not demonstrating any creative flair.

Lets take that design and the buffet table scenario - Your category of arrangement was a buffet table design, that is the design you did ( I would score that below average ( a 2 ) on the criteria of scale/proportion - reason - too small for the intended placement and use. However - If the category was a intimate table for 2, then I would score that scale and proprtion a 5 ( perfect size for the intended placement and use. )

What we are doing with the pictures posted in the group is mostly pointing out how to take that design from ordinary to extraordinary ( not that your designs are ordinary )

THat's why I posted that criteria list - so that you all could see everything that we will be looking at.

Which of the four bouts is the one for the best man?

Attachments

• 100_0909.JPG
    100_0909.JPG
    776.2 KB · Views: 46
Ok - Now, the newer evaluation sheets that are used do not leave room for evluators to write down comments....the older sheets do.

SO, I am going to evaluate as though it were the older style sheets and comment where applicable.

Category Interpretation - 5
Creativity - 4
Scale/Proportion - 5
Balance - 5
Line - 4 - If you had brought a tip of the grass either up or down to continue the line.....this would then have scored a shade higher
Color - 5
Unity - 4
Focal Emphasis - 5
Depth-5
Mechanics - 5

Total Score - 46

Now, 6 more evaluators would have looked at this design....the highest and lowest scores are tossed, and the others are averaged to form your final score for this design.

So, I would classifiy this as a passing design.

On that....I do not know.

I would assume that it was done to make judging easier - just put a mark beside the score you want to give and go on from there.

I first saw the newer sheets when I reviewed the scores from a friend of mine's evaluation and was stunned to see that there was no room for comments.

Since I started this thread on a Tuesday - There will be a new design challenge this coming Tuesday.

So, come on all you potential AIFD members and get your pictures in......Because I want to see al of you at some point become AIFD.

I'm gonna do it! I was even thinking of the design while falling asleep last nite. :nod: I am working but will do later. I swear!

I spoke with AIFD HQ earlier today in order to confirm that I was not giving incorrect information and in the course of talking and confirming information.....I was cautioned about actually giving a score of a design. The reason being that details can sometimes be overlooked in a picture and a design that looks like a passing design in a picture may in fact be a failing design when that design is actually sitting in front of you and you are looking at the real design versus a picture.

So, While I won't continue to 'evaluate' a design......I will endeavor to try and point out guidelines and improvements to a design in order to help you realize your goal.

I think I'll just stick with the "Kansas city" group, and keep posting my pics there.

All the pics I post were done for orders. I don't want to use flowers for stuff that's not for an order. Hope you understand.

I appreciate ALL the help I get from all my FC friends... You guys know who you are!! ;)

Let me stress this......the LAST thing I would ever want to do.....even accidentally....would be to give somebody information that would cause someone to make a mistake that would result in them not passing.

Such a thing would absolutely break my heart. I take my responsibilty to my AIFD ethics very seriously. Trust me when I say, seeing any of you walk across that stage to recieve your pin.....you would be hard-pressed to find someone clapping louder and harder than me in happiness for you.

Reactions: 1 person
why don't the new sheets have comments??

I don't know this as gospel, but I was told that dropping comments was to prevent contradictory feedback.

One judge might say "nice design style" and another would say "lacks design focus" and the candidates will wail that they are stuck in the middle. The numbers alone work best.

Pocket square or Boutonniere?

Ok,
so let me ask this:
would a pocket square be fitting for a bout??

If I were evaluating, and the instructions asked for a boutonniere, I would deduct points in the "category interpretation" category.

Often, though, the category is much broader. Such as "flowers for a best man to wear" rather than "best man boutonniere"

As for points, I think that glued will get slightly fewer points in mechanics category, but you may make them up in creativity. Great wire-and-tape technique will always garner a lot of mechanics points since the evaluators know it takes real skill. If you glue, you are limiting the amount of points that the evaluators can give you, because you've chosen the easier mechanics route.

Many times, I have said that if I could only give ONE piece of advice to someone before AES, that advice would be:

Give the evaluators every opportunity to bestow points!

Status
Not open for further replies.