Aifd candidates design challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,

so let me ask this:

would a pocket square be fitting for a bout??

And if so, how do you tape and wire it? Maybe Rhonda knows.

You might have trouble creating a pocket square because you wouldn't have the fabric. You cannot bring any props or prop equipment. ONLY the items the committee provides. Even a pin or wire not provided can disqualify the entry.

Bj, You might be right at that.......I used sliced lemon in my attendant's bouquet for my AES. One evaluator remarked that the lemons were a "fresh, fun, texture" while another one noted that the lemons was a poor choice as they could stain the bride's dress.

Like BJ - If I could give one peice of advice - it would be the advice given to me by a fellow AIFD member. He said " Do What You Know, and Do it Expertly, That is not the time to do something you have never done before - Do the design work that You KNOW and do it well "

Reactions: 1 person
You might have trouble creating a pocket square because you wouldn't have the fabric. You cannot bring any props or prop equipment. ONLY the items the committee provides. Even a pin or wire not provided can disqualify the entry.

BJ is 100 percent on the money. You can ONLY use the materials provided. Even a wire that you use out of your toolbox that was not provided for you can get you disqualified. He is 100 percent dead on.

I went to a design class tonight put on by Lynne Moss AIFD AAF PFCI what a wonderful lady she is from Kansas and is working on The Sky's the Limit I was thrilled to get a chance to watch her work. I know you guys must know her and just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed the show and also how thankful I am for everyones help and advice here on Flowerchat AIFD and non AIFD I appreciate it very much.:hug:

If I were evaluating, and the instructions asked for a boutonniere, I would deduct points in the "category interpretation" category.

Often, though, the category is much broader. Such as "flowers for a best man to wear" rather than "best man boutonniere"

As for points, I think that glued will get slightly fewer points in mechanics category, but you may make them up in creativity. Great wire-and-tape technique will always garner a lot of mechanics points since the evaluators know it takes real skill. If you glue, you are limiting the amount of points that the evaluators can give you, because you've chosen the easier mechanics route.

Many times, I have said that if I could only give ONE piece of advice to someone before AES, that advice would be:

Give the evaluators every opportunity to bestow points!
So, there you go....

For me personally, taping and wiring is easier than gluing.

I think gluing (not pan glue) takes forever.

I think I'm going to stop worrying about this. I'm going to go in, do what I do, do it to the best of my ability. And If I fail, well I guess I'll have to do it again.

I hear soooo much stuff about "they do this at AES and they do that"

The one that sticks in my mind is, They turn the arrangement upside down, if it falls apart, you don't pass. So I guess I'll make stuff that will survive the upside down test. There will be no foam showing, no tape showing, Binding will be done well, and so will the banding. I will have depth, and good lines, and all my greens will be meaningful, there will be nothing in any design that isn't necessary, and it will all be done creatively. Dirty water will be changed, and no floaters in the water, and no foliage below the water line, and the stems will look just as neat as the flowers above the rim, if you can in fact see the stems. And done within the time allotted with nothing more than what was provided to me, and I will only take the tools I'm allowed.

I heard about the woman claiming not to pass because of a "500th of a point" I call BS there!

I heard about a woman who had to take it 24 times. well, ok

I think I can do it. Hopefully, I wont fall apart.. I'll think of my buddy BJ when I'm telling myself not to fall apart and how he calmed me down at the Colorado cup. I'm sure he's not fully aware of how much his kind words to me were really words of encouragement.

Then I will focus on my task at hand, try not to shake, and just do what I do.

What more can I do?

So, I'm gonna say this again, and I hope I can stick to it... I'm gonna stop worrying about this. I have to.

Really, this is my own personal pep talk to myself. Just kinda got typed out...

Thank you and good night!

I am going to AIFD by way London. The training, resources and people who are already certified is very exclusive. To find help for me to be a better Floral Artist and to get certified with AIFD, in Europe, is plentiful. The training cost is $6,000 for a two week course and I am willing to pay every red cent for the experience. Even if the course criteria doesn't match the requirements for AIFD, it is the open hearts of the people and the willingness to help me understand Floral Artistry that I am seeking.

Thank you for reaching out within this group to help others. Just look at the training and resources that AIFD provides and you will understand how great this gesture will be for others!:yourock:

Katherine

PS I have been watching AIFD now for six years. I once called to the main headquarters to discuss with them their resources. I will flatly told that certification is exclusive and wasn't for every person who did flowers to seek. WOW!

.......................PS I have been watching AIFD now for six years. I once called to the main headquarters to discuss with them their resources. I will flatly told that certification is exclusive and wasn't for every person who did flowers to seek. WOW!..................

I can't speak for everyone on FC who is AIFD, but this statement concerns me. If you work hard, study, and constantly and continally improve....I don;t know of a reason why you then could not pursue AIFD.

Am I understanding this statement incorrectly??

Oooh! The internet lacks self-expression! Let me explain it this way....

I expressed my concerns about the number of classes and educational opportunities available to those seeking certification. I was told by an AIFD administator, that those seeking certification do so through their own means. Unlike other certifications programs, my husband is an engineer and has CCIE certifications resources, you may order a terminology book from AIFD, attend the 3-4 AIFD sponsored classes held before the symposium or attended a college that teaches floral classes. If you are knee deep in the floral industry, LIKE MYSELF who owns a business, the best way to prepare is to PRAY that there are more AIFD Certified Designers like Ricky W. King, who make themselves available to those seeking certification.

i have successfully completed AES in Chicago july 08. for the body flower, the category was a hairpiece. i glued the whole thing together! straight from the glue pan! passed it with flying colours!
however, just to play it safe, i incorporated a wire / tape decorative aspect.
now, i am excited waiting for kanas city in july '09!

that would'nt be so hard to do without the fabric. just use a "square" of the cardboard off the rose packaging. i do it all the time, except i use one of my business cards. pan glue directly to the back side of card, and have the men slip it in the front pocket...a great way to get your card out there as well.

Under normal shop circumstances......a pocket square would not.....however, when you are doing your AES..... You cannot use anything not provided for you except your tools. Cardboard or fabric for a pocket square may or may not be provided.

There are really no requirements for taping and wiring a body flower or flower to wear/corsage/boutonniere....It is an important Design Technique that gives you credibility in mechanics. I would say that for this category the exceptional mechanics will set you apart from ordinary...If there is a flair above average in the overall design and clean, neat mechanics you will be successful. Proper proportion is equally important.....

There are really no requirements for taping and wiring a body flower or flower to wear/corsage/boutonniere....It is an important Design Technique that gives you credibility in mechanics. I would say that for this category the exceptional mechanics will set you apart from ordinary...If there is a flair above average in the overall design and clean, neat mechanics you will be successful. Proper proportion is equally important.....

Lynn, I was hoping you or Eddie would chime in here. I think some of the future AIFDers need some credible information and you both should know what to tell them.
Carol Bice

The best advice I received when testing was to keep it simple with at least one advanced technique per design. The judging is very subjective. Mechanics, mechanics, mechanics.... Sheltering, terrracing, etc... will score highly along with color harmony.

By keeping it simple there is much less to critique and be counted off for.

I agree with BJ that the reason for no comments is probably to eliminate conflicting points of view. On my score sheets, one judge would say "great line" and another would say "where's the line. " Again very subjective.... just follow the rules of good design, add an advanced technique with a little creative flair.

Good luck to all!

Hi Everyone,
This is very exciting that there are so many interested in the AES process. I caution you however not to "assume" directions. As an 11 year past membership committee person, 2 years of which I was chairperson, I recommend that anyone truly interested in AES get their directions directly from the current listings on www.AIFD.org or from the current membership chair which is now Ted Bruehl. Ricky's points from the score sheet are very helpful but I can see you getting in trouble already with your assumptions about wire and tape verses glue. Contrary to what you are discussing, gluing is perfectly acceptable if it is done correctly. There is no advantage to wire and tape over glue unless the benefit to the design would be affected. But that concept is true of any technique you might choose for any of your designs for the AES. Thanks Ricky for generating enthusiam and I would be happy to particpate in helping with some general evaluations, but I just want to make sure that no one gets incorrect information that could affect their AES experience.

Carol

Exactly Carol - I was hoping that someone who has served on membership commitee would come in. Not only to offer advice but to help explain things. Sometimes my wording leaves something to be desired or what I am trying to get across is not coming out right.

Thank You Carol so much.

There really are quite a few mis-conceptions out there about AIFD and the AES. I wanted to try and de-mystify(?) the process. Not sure of de-mystify is the right word.

Exactly Carol - I was hoping that someone who has served on membership commitee would come in. Not only to offer advice but to help explain things. Sometimes my wording leaves something to be desired or what I am trying to get across is not coming out right.

Thank You Carol so much.

There really are quite a few mis-conceptions out there about AIFD and the AES. I wanted to try and de-mystify(?) the process. Not sure of de-mystify is the right word.

Well I guess I will chime in for my 2 cents as a Past Membership chair, and TOTALLY agree with both Lynne Moss and Carol Caggiano that you never assume anything with AES. The process is geared toward given you all the experience and fair results. IF you do not have a AIFD Guide to Flower Design, I recommend you get one through aifd.org, it is the foundation that the entire process is developed from.

Over the years, Lynne, Carol, and I tried to make sure everyone is given the best opportunity to design to their best ability. BJ, Keebie, Carol B., all have given you some good points! I appreaicte RWK (Ricky) getting you all so fired up...but if you have ANY QUESTIONS about AES, contact Ted Bruehl AIFD Membership Chair, at
([email protected]) with your questions. We members have all been where each of your are, believe in yourself, work on doing your best, most of all be prepared when you take the step. If you have never been to a AIFD National Symposium, it is good to attend to see was all this is about. AIFD Education is about inspiration, dedication and sharing floral design as art.
Lynne Moss AIFD and Bill Harper AIFD are planning a winning event.
It is "The Skies the Limit", should be on your list of must do's for next year. Watch the AIFD.org site for more information as the program develops.

Also keep in mind that AIFD does not 'judge" designs, this process is not a contest... they are all evaluated based on Principals and Elements of Design. The scoring is far, with all designs getting a mark, high and low tossed out, the remaining average to a single score number. All that is explained on our AIFD webiste, aifd.org, click on membership, click on Accredidation in Floral Design to see how to become a candidate.

Good Luck, Dream Big, Achieve Success!
Eddie Payne AIFD

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.