Status
Not open for further replies.

evergreen12377

Nov 18, 2003
Wauconda
waucondaflorist.com
State / Prov
IL
Have a customer who saw a picture in an ad....no idea where. But it was a Christmas tree with real roses. I did see something at (Ahhh...can't say this....choke) 800flowers. Looks like a tree with Christmas greens and flowers, star on top. How would you do this? He wants it for his Grandma. In red and white roses.

Judy:confused:

Do a boxwood tree and put the roses in the oasis. Tell them to keep it cool and watered. Use a oasis cone form or cut your own oasis. What level of coverage does he want with the roses?
Doug

I did something similar but with greens only. The oasis is standing up straight up and do like a Chrsitmas tree. THe best greens to do this is boox wood or pine. I would do my greens first then the roses... Make sure your customer know it willbe pricey.... He is better off with the tf kincade tree.
Luc

I've done several all flower trees. Get the oasis cone and like Luc says, green it first if your going to use greens. If it is going to be solid flowers then of course you don't. Leave the stems fairly long on the roses and slant the stems down a bit from the peak of the cone. The cones are only a couple of bucks and they seem to hold up better than when you cut your own. I've tried both ways.
One thing you don't want to do is put a flower in and take it out to reposition it. The cone breaks up pretty easily if you do that.

Jim

Like all of the above. :) They look lovely.

V

Thanks, guys and gals. I did tell him that it would be pricely but he told me it is for Grandma...so no expense is too much. Sweet! (the term my grand kids use).

Judy:tongue

Judy,
I have a picture of that one he spoke of. And ugh, hate to say the words....comes from Martha. It was in one of her christmas special books a couple of years ago.
And it was all roses. We modified it for our customer. Did as above suggestions.
Have fun. They are beautiful.

Well, I did the tree thing. Used a "boughten" cone. Put noble tips first arround a base and then up the sides, leaving space for the roses. I also used incense cedar, varigated holly and white pine like we use for all our greening on the base.
I used a sprig of holly at the very tip.

Used 12 roses: red, Latin Ladies and white (smaller) last up the sides. I put in some gold mm balls and four tiny red ribbons on the base. I used a 3/4 brick for the cone to sit on. Used a round pick to hold the two together. The brick was in a nice sesaonal container. It was heavier than I would have thought.
He loved it! Said that it was much nicer than the one he had seen. So nice to hear!

I did have a problem in that the cone was 9" (all the wholesaler had). I wish I had used a 12" and cut the top flat. I made it the day before and it was beginning to crumble at the tip. I hot glued it. (no roses at the tip). The glue really helped to steady the tip and told the customer about it.He was said it looked just fine to him.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Judy
:wave:

We made up some box wood trees, did not sell all of them. I took home three of them and grouped them in our foyer. I must say it looks amazing. This one spot is just perfect for flowers or plants. It is so nice to see something fresh as soon as you come in.
D.

Status
Not open for further replies.