Status
Not open for further replies.

CFD

Dec 27, 2003
Beaufort
carolinafloraldesign.com
State / Prov
SC
Does anyone have a source for clock faces. You them in the center of a sympathy wreath to mark the time of death. NO ONE around here has them. Thanks. Sylvia

We do a wreath for the local Elks Lodge every Memorial Day and now are laminating the two clock faces we have as we can not find any through our suppliers...but those are purple and silver. I have not seen any traditional (white & black) clock faces either.

I have never heard of such an item. Nor have I ever seen one... even in all the years at the funeral home.

V

Found Them

Masco from Brooklyn NY has them. You have to place a $200 order with them. They have a website. We use them a lot in work for African Americans. Lots of Silk -- crosses, bleeding hearts, pillows and of course the clock wreath. They like for everything to stay on the gravesite for a long time.

CFD said:
Does anyone have a source for clock faces. You them in the center of a sympathy wreath to mark the time of death. NO ONE around here has them. Thanks. Sylvia
How morbid and hopeless. Personally I have never heard of this, but it does not surprise me one little bit. "Marking the time of death"??? Something about that is just really sad. A bit extreme and desperate perhaps. I don't know. that's just me. Maybe I am overreacting.

I'd be interested to know how many have heard of this and how many have not.

"Marking the time of death"??? I'd be interested to know how many have heard of this and how many have not.[/QUOTE said:
I agree it is STRANGE but remember, I am in the southeastern US. We have people here that trim their homes in blue to keep the "spirits" away.
Regardless, we treat everyone the same. And if they want to mark the time of death, than so be it. At least now I know why those clocks were so hard to find. I, too, would be interested to know if any of you have done this before. We do a clock wreath at least once a month.

It is very much a French Canadian thing to mark the time of death in our state ........(upper Maine....."Acadian" maybe).....not sure but we have a lot of French Canadians here due to woods operations and it is not uncommon a request. The Gates Ajar also used to be very much requested although I have not ever done one in the past 30 years. Cost prohibitive?

I'm familiar with the Gates Ajar piece as well Rhonda. It was a big item in rural Ontario for a while... now, not so much. The clock face has never been a part of any funeral I have ever seen.

V

clock faces

try klockit.com. there are many others that sell clock kits and you can also find the faces at lots of craft stores

The one that had me stumped last week was someone who wanted a funeral crown. I've had the shop 2 years so this was new to me. I thought it was a crown for the deceased. From what I gather it is a Hispanic term for a square spray on a stand... any one have any clear discription? I'm really curious since another person came in after that to ask for one!

LORRIE said:
The one that had me stumped last week was someone who wanted a funeral crown. I've had the shop 2 years so this was new to me. I thought it was a crown for the deceased. From what I gather it is a Hispanic term for a square spray on a stand... any one have any clear discription? I'm really curious since another person came in after that to ask for one!

Lorrie:

Here is a "heart funeral crown" from a florist in the Dominican Republic

https://svr40.ehostpros.com/~multid40/florprimavera.com/order/fp-43.shtml

Mary Lou Nix
ilocalflorist.com
([email protected])

PS: please sign the Allied Florists of Houston "IN LIEU OF FLOWERS"
PETITION
http://alliedfloristsofhouston.org/ILOFPetition.htm

Had a request a few years ago...

They wanted a Telephone in the arrangment with the words of Jesus Called. We said no. Where is this stuff coming from? Clocks? Phones?.

Blue Oyster Cult said:
They wanted a Telephone in the arrangment with the words of Jesus Called. We said no. Where is this stuff coming from? Clocks? Phones?.
We had the EXACT same request, but we did it! Why not? My mom went to K Mart and bought a toy phone and it was a beautiful piece when it was done for people who like easel set pieces (Heart). They ordered again many years later and reminded us of that piece we had done for them. I would do the clock if asked also even that one seems a bit morbid. I'd still do it. If I only sold stuff I liked or thought was a good idea I would go broke in a month. I truly dislike corsages, terrariums, silk flowers, plants in general, set pieces, and much more.

There is still a lot we don't do, but mostly because of our health restrictions. I'm not as motivated as I keep thinking I should be in this line of work also. I would much rather we a writer or a counselor.

But, like a poster on the other board said, at this point I'd get up at 3am to come in and do a $200.00 order. I said Amen, but that would be very easy for me, just get out of bed and walk down the hall and do it. But, then you can say that too Blue, right? :notyet: I can't believe I'm still late some days, Neal just shakes his head as he is a half an hour early everywhere we go.

Hey Blue, how was homecoming this year?

Why not!!!

We as florists are here to help people greave the passing of a love one. Sure it may be morbid but if it means a sale in your register and possibly more in the later years why not. Different people like to show their respects differents ways. SHe i even had to do caskets sprays to do with hockey and even baseball logo's. Basically it comes to this, you want it, show me the money and I will do it. I have not come across anything I did not want to do yet....TOuch wood...
Luc

wE DID ALL THE FAMILY FLOWERS FOR A FUNERAL IN July that were a tropical fisherman theme. The best was made in a 4 foot boat in all colors of blue- what a knock out! The widow even brought it home to keep. We too did a Harley afew weeks ago ... they sent us athank you note afterwards, said no one else would do it. I think that doing this type of work is where the neighborhood florist can really strut their stuff-no big box is going to do this.

Lorrie
PS- I,m the one who would get out of bed at 3 AM to do it!It's been a very rough summer! October IS going to be better!

I always love the challenge of creating something personal and unique for the family. That's what seperates us from the grocery stores. When talking with the family I always ask about the deceased hobbies, interests etc. Fishing, music, sports oriented themes have been visited on me. :)

The most challenging was a hockey stick arrangement. It was New Year's Eve, huge funeral, lots of orders and someone wanted a hockey stick floral arrangement.

Thanks to this board and a most generous member, I got the advice I needed and was able to complete the project without wanting to kill myself. :)

I love funeral work.

V

oh goodness I had to "build" an 18 wheeler once...what a hoot!
I now own a very hot styro knife.........just in case..

We do the clocks here also for the Elks Lodge. The time is set at 11 o'clock....the eleventh hour. Haven't seen the clocks in ages. We were lucky to get a whole bunch from a florist in the States who didn't use them anymore. Don't know hwat will do when we are out Gudrun

The most interesting we ever did was a 4 foot high Gumby made out of flowers, that was placed standing on top of the casket, so as to be waving to people at the funeral! The young man who had died was only in his 20's and was quite the comedien. The family wanted stuff there that would remind people of his sense of humor. There were also helium balloons, palm trees and a sail boat ordered for that funeral. Like someone else said, people express their grief and deal with the send off in different ways.

Personally I agree it is morbid to mark the time of death, and even "in memoriums" on the death date are strange to me... I would rather mark the person's birthday and remember their existence here, rather than their departure. That's just me. But if they are willing to pay for it, we oughtta just make it!

Status
Not open for further replies.