Corsage Complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally Julz, I think you made the right choice. Refunding or credit and a bouquet leaves a far better taste in my mouth and I'm sure the customers than anything else. Crap happens, deal with it and move on. :)

I must admit John, that while your 48 hour guarantee make work for you, it certainly doesn't fly here or with me.

V

I called the mother who called me, apologized and told her that we would be refunding her son and sending a bouquet over to the girlfriends house. Now i find out that she didn't see the corsarge and the son didn't want her to call us. So needless to say we will never really know what happen to it, all and all I find it very hard to believe that the corsarge fell apart, but what are you going to do. From now on I have instructed everyone to do a shake in front of the customer before they take their corsarge out of the shop and make sure they shake it like hell! I have done a few more since that day and when I shake them, they don't move, well gotta go and change my granddaughter's messy diaper. Just thought I would let you know how we decided to handle it.

Julz

Julz,

How the heck can you be a grandma? I'm geniunely OLD and not a grandma yet. LOL Well, I did have my kids late.. triplets at 34 and a single little one at age 44. I guess that might explain it. But stillllllll

Beth :~)

I think your ending proved my point!

I called the mother who called me, apologized and told her that we would be refunding her son and sending a bouquet over to the girlfriends house. Now i find out that she didn't see the corsage and the son didn't want her to call us. So needless to say we will never really know what happen to it, all and all I find it very hard to believe that the corsage fell apart, but what are you going to do. From now on I have instructed everyone to do a shake in front of the customer before they take their corsage out of the shop and make sure they shake it like hell! I have done a few more since that day and when I shake them, they don't move, well gotta go and change my granddaughter's messy diaper. Just thought I would let you know how we decided to handle it. Julz

It's not that human beings lie Julz, but rather many tend to be RECKLESS WITH THE TRUTH!

I borrowed that phrase from my Good REAL FLORIST friend, OZ in New York City.

After 38 years of DOING MY DOO plus 2 more for someone else, that 40 years of experience in dealing with DA PUBLIC has given me the opportunity to HEAR IT ALL.

Which is why, we REQUIRE A FAILED PRODUCT to be returned to our shop either by the customer or in doing a SWAP OUT when we deliver the replacement.

Victoria said:
I must admit John, that while your 48 hour guarantee make work for you, it certainly doesn't fly here or with me. V

Well Victoria, it seems to work for my perishable wholesalers and suppliers, and so, if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me!

In this neck of the woods, I must notify that supplier within 48 hours of their product failure and they must have that failed product back before they issue us a credit or give us a replacement.

The point of my discussion is over the DOUBLE STANDARD that seems to pervade WEE REAL FLORISTS versus EVERYONE ELSE IN THE RETAIL WORLD OF BUSINESS.

While we rarely get complaints over quality or $ervice, when we do have a caller on the telephone, the first sales lesson is to LISTEN! As Tom Hopkins puts it, (The Art of Selling), envision a hot air balloon venting all of it's HOT AIR and when the balloon is EMPTY, it's your turn to respond.

Our response has always been: We're very sorry that you were disappointed with our product and we will be happy to replace it at once. Would you like the same item or would you prefer that, we send you something different?

In every case, we have a pregnant pause from that caller, (a slight delayed response) almost as if they can't believe what we have just told them since, THEY WERE READY FOR A BIG FIGHT! Finally, they all accept the replacement and THANK US FOR OUR PROMPT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Fact is that, they've become so used to FIGHTING FOR WHAT'S RIGHT in the REST OF THE REAL WORLD and hardly ever getting satisfaction that, THEY THROW US INTO THE SAME POT with the rest of the MUCK and MEYER.

Anyway, 48 hours is a reasonable amount of time for either a recipient or the sender to address their complaint, if in fact, it was our product which failed.

We just has a WS DOT.CON customer complain. Fact was that, it was our ONE and ONLY Mother's Day complaint.

It came in as a POOR QUALITY COMPLAINT a full FIVE DAYS after delivery. We responded with the content and informed them that, there was NO JUSTIFICATION in the complaint.

Next message back to us was, CANCEL this order and PICK UP THE FLOWERS! I called the recipient on Saturday (now 7 days later) and told her that, I was coming over to investigate the POOR QUALITY complaint lodged by her niece.

As it turned out, the recipient was one of our regular customers and her story went as follows:

Her Mother received two dot.con floral items and a third one for her Mother's sister.

They all came from different florists. Out of the three, she told me that, ours was the nicest. She went on to say that, the other two had already died by Tuesday and was very happy that, ours was still flourishing.

To make matters worse, her niece had ordered an arrangement of Peonies for her Grandmother, but the other florist sent her an arrangement of Daisy Poms. For her Aunt, she had ordered a CUBE filled with Lavender Roses but that florist sent her a CUBE filled with anything but Lavender Roses.

Her niece was so TICKED OFF THAT, she complained to the dot.con about the entire order she placed at their website and as a BONUS, through our arrangement into the mix.

So what's a DOG TO DOO when the sender tells DA MIDDLEMAN ONE THING but DA FACTS TELL OF ANOTHER THING?

I even bought the picture from the selection guide and a copy of the order to the Mother's house, showed it to the daughter, and asked her: Is this picture the same as the floral arrangement your Mom got? YES, it is, she said.

SO KIDS, that's my story and I'm STICKING TO IT! :soapbox:

Hi!

I am pretty new in the industry. For Prom, I made several corsages, and there are 2 that I know of that broke. For one couple, I refunded the money and also gave the girl some free flowers. The girl is a junior, she told me that even though her corsage broke, the experience was wonderful with us, so she will def come back to us next year for her prom. The other corsage that broke, the girl tells me a week later, I offered her a refund, she actually refused it. She just wanted to let me know. Besides that, I am doing more flowers for her.

I know our service is what keeps these girls coming back; eventhough my beautiful corsages are falling apart.

Help!? How do I keep my corsages intact? I use tons of glue. Any ideas? Thanks!

-The Daily Blossom Florist

Our response has always been: We're very sorry that you were disappointed with our product and we will be happy to replace it at once. Would you like the same item or would you prefer that, we send you something different?

Would this statement hold water if it was a dissapointed bride?

YOu seem pretty firm in your policy.

It's not an "if" but a "when" this happens at a wedding, this isn't necessarily directed at you toto but to other florists reading your comments.

FLEXIBILITY AND BEING REASONABLE IS THE KEY to all business decisions. I'm sure you agree.

John, this is not a "one size fits all" situation in my opinion. What works for the wholesaler, does not translate well for my customer base... period.

If it works for you then so be it... but, it doesn't work for me and my customers.

V

Reactions: 1 person

The point of my discussion is over the DOUBLE STANDARD that seems to pervade WEE REAL FLORISTS versus EVERYONE ELSE IN THE RETAIL WORLD OF BUSINESS.

This my question also, ToTo. Why are florists held to a higher standard than other retailers? Why are we expected to deliver another item, refund $, and issue gift certificate or similar without ever seeing the damaged product? What other type of retailer does this?

It is interesting, IMHO, that on the UK forum, there is a thread about florists getting no respect.

I have puzzled over this issue ever since I became involved in this industry. Perhaps this should be a discussion for another thread. Or perhaps we have beaten/talked it into a state of impasse.

Absolutely Connie!

This my question also, ToTo. Why are florists held to a higher standard than other retailers? Why are we expected to deliver another item, refund $, and issue gift certificate or similar without ever seeing the damaged product? What other type of retailer does this?

It is interesting, IMHO, that on the UK forum, there is a thread about florist getting no respect.

I have puzzled over this issue ever since I became involved in this industry. Perhaps this should be a discussion for another thread. Or perhaps we have beaten/talked it into a state of impasse.

That's the RUB Connie! No one else in the REAL RETAIL BUSINESS WORLD is expected to give away their product for FREE and in ALL CASES, the customer is REQUIRED to return the product for a replacement or credit.

As to NO RESPECT for FLORISTS? Well, I've always suggested that WEE FLORISTS seem to have an image problem with the consumers which developed over the past 25 years.

Perhaps that's due to the fact that EVERYONE and THEIR MOTHER TOO is now in the CUT FLOWER and PLANT BUSINESS?

As my Dear REAL FLORIST friend, SFOX suggests, FLOWERS have become a COMMODITY NOW, due to the glut at Big Boxers, Stupermarkets, Gas Stations, and Drug Chains.

Add to that mix, the usual WE FOLD LIKE CHEAP CAMERAS courtesy of the 800 and DOT.CON FLORAL MIDDLEMEN, OGs, DOGs, and all other SKIMMERS and NON-LOCAL PHONIES.

All I can say is that, DA PUBLIC (and all others) will give respect to those REAL FLORISTS who COMMAND and DEMAND RESPECT!

And DA PUBLIC, if they think that, they can get one over on you, will try to doo it each and every time. They seem to be able to spot WEAKNESS a mile away.

While GREAT CUSTOMER $ERVICE is a wonderful thing, that surely doesn't require that, WEE REAL FLORISTS give our stuff away just because a customer calls to tell us that, OUR PRODUCT FAILED!

Just Human Nature at its worst, I suspect!

In the words of our great president, Ronald Reagan: " TRUST, but VERIFY! "

Beth,

I have two daughters, one who is 32 and another who is 26. When the older one turned 30 and had been married for about three years, I told her I was ready for a grandchild and she got pregnant that year! We were blessed with a beautiful granddaughter who has spent every other weekend with us since she was six weeks old and is with me at least once if not twice a week at my shop during the day, in fact she is here right now taking her afternoon beauty sleep. She is almost 19 months old now and is the apple of her Nana's and PopPop's eyes. She love's watching me arrange flowers and she loves to go delivering with PopPop and she always has a cheery "hi" to say to customers who walk in. When it is a busy holiday time, Poppop will take time off from his work to deliver and babysit if need be. I started having my children alot earlier than you!!! But it is wonderful to have our little peanut around and she is so cutiful!!!! Of course I could be a little biased! LOL Plus as I told my daughter, "pay back is a @@@@@", it's great to spoil them, then send them home, after all that is what grandparents are for. I figure I will have her designing by the time she is six years old!!!

People tell me I look younger than my age, which is fine by me, but I don't feel young and everything is falling south which would be fine if I could stand on my head!!!:)

Have a great day!
Julz

RE: no respect & replacement guaranteed

Connie:
John will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the idea of Guaranteed replacement got started with FTD, when it began promoting the 100% guarantee -- no questions asked -- within 10 days -- deal.

I remember a lot of shouting at various FTD meetings, but the bottom line was that the FTD orginization prevailed, and we all, if we wanted to belong to it, had to agree to do it also. (This goes back to the days of the member owned FTD organization).

The concept was then promoted in all advertising pretty widely for several years. To tell you the truth, the majority of orders were filled with no problems or replacements required.

I don't see this type of guarantee being promoted anymore. However, now, in the consumers minds, it exists, and should be pursued if there is any hint of dis-satisfaction.

Sometimes, we create a "monster" that then we have trouble getting out from under. Department stores used to give a refund or credit for merchandise returned at any time -- sometimes years after purchase. now, it seems that they will accept a return for credit only after 30 to 90 days max. (and they don't advertise their return policy).

Maybe we all need to post in our stores, or on our websites our general replacement/return/refund policies.

Might help to clarify the issue for customers and the help!!

Regards,
Cheryl

Yes Cheryl, you're right about that!

Connie:
John will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the idea of Guaranteed replacement got started with FTD, when it began promoting the 100% guarantee -- no questions asked -- within 10 days -- deal.

I remember a lot of shouting at various FTD meetings, but the bottom line was that the FTD organization prevailed, and we all, if we wanted to belong to it, had to agree to do it also. (This goes back to the days of the member owned FTD organization).

The concept was then promoted in all advertising pretty widely for several years. To tell you the truth, the majority of orders were filled with no problems or replacements required.

I don't see this type of guarantee being promoted anymore. However, now, in the consumers minds, it exists, and should be pursued if there is any hint of dissatisfaction.

Sometimes, we create a "monster" that then we have trouble getting out from under. Department stores used to give a refund or credit for merchandise returned at any time -- sometimes years after purchase. Now, it seems that they will accept a return for credit only after 30 to 90 days max. (and they don't advertise their return policy).

Maybe we all need to post in our stores, or on our websites our general replacement/return/refund policies.

Might help to clarify the issue for customers and the help!!

Regards,
Cheryl

It was FTD who promoted that 10 Day unconditional guarantee policy.

I used to laugh about it, especially the part which said: If for ANY REASON WHAT SO EVER, etc.

Which is why I use the CLOUDY DAY basis to complain.

I just went to a Korean Supermarket the past Sunday because I love Kim Chee.

Their return policy was even simpler.

All hard goods can be returned within 7 days provided you have the original receipt.

All PERISHABLES to include fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, either fresh or frozen, must be returned within
2 HOURS along with the receipt for either a refund or a store credit. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Cheryl you took the words right out of my head. That was/is my understanding as well.

V

Perhaps my years of teaching in middle school, in a school where gangs, for example, ran rampant, have made me suspicious. The students loved to tell stories of scamming merchants to get their money and more back. They knew how to play every con game. Don't tell me that they are not the type to buy flowers. One came in several months ago, smooth talking and friendly. He did not recognise me, but he called the next day so "angry" that he could barely talk. The problem? One of the roses in his dozen had a torn petal. He wanted another dozen roses and his money back. You see, if I remember how this one would have played among my students, the roses got the favorable response from the date, and then the guy came back for his money so that he could take her out for dinner. Then he'll complain about the meal which they just finished so that he can get his money back again. Etc., etc. I'm not making this up.

I'm not making this up.

No, you aren't Connie...and it's sad. When I managed a clothing store it was 100x worse than the floral industry. Women and girls would buy outfits for a dance/date/interview and intentionally rip the clothing just to get a refund. Of course the rip would occur in the seam where a rip would happen because of lack of quality and not intention and they would scream and jump up and down just to make a scene and get their money back.

Or, better yet, they would steal something and then rip out the security sensor claiming that "we forgot to take it off" but they "forgot their receipt. It used to keep me up at night worrying about the next scam that would have loss prevention hounding me. That's why I am no longer in that industry and why I am a lot more careful about handing out refunds in this one.

Re: refunds/ exchanges

The above stories (and I have some of my own) are the reason that the "buck stops with me". I'm the "complaint department" at my store.

If the customer wants a refund/replacement, etc, it's my store and they have to talk with me. I'm not mean, but I have been around the block a few times....so I can usually see thru a scam.

If the order is really in need of a replacement or refund, we will gladly give it. However, like John, we need the merchandise back. No merchandise, no refund or replacement. You cannot exchange a gallon of milk, or rotten apples, or whatever if you do not have the merchandise so the store can tell that it's bad. simple concept. I think most people "get it".

If we have delivered it, we will gladly pick up the old and send a new one.

Like Heather and Connie, we have been attempted to be scammed a few times by our wonderful teenage population. Sorry, I'm older than dirt, and can usually see thru the scams.............Fool me once, maybe....but not twice! (and I do pass the word on to those others who maybe "scam Attempts".

Whatever happened to teaching people about honesty & integrity?

Have our kids learned no moral values at all....anywhere???
Regards,

Cheryl

The above stories (and I have some of my own) are the reason that the "buck stops with me". I'm the "complaint department" at my store.

If the customer wants a refund/replacement, etc, it's my store and they have to talk with me. I'm not mean, but I have been around the block a few times....so I can usually see thru a scam.

If the order is really in need of a replacement or refund, we will gladly give it. However, like John, we need the merchandise back. No merchandise, no refund or replacement. You cannot exchange a gallon of milk, or rotten apples, or whatever if you do not have the merchandise so the store can tell that it's bad. simple concept. I think most people "get it".

If we have delivered it, we will gladly pick up the old and send a new one.

Like Heather and Connie, we have been attempted to be scammed a few times by our wonderful teenage population. Sorry, I'm older than dirt, and can usually see thru the scams.............Fool me once, maybe....but not twice! (and I do pass the word on to those others who maybe "scam Attempts".

Whatever happened to teaching people about honesty & integrity?

Have our kids learned no moral values at all....anywhere???
Regards,

Cheryl

Yes!

Last Thursday we replaced a dozen roses, a MD order, brought in by a customer. He is a regular customer, and he didn't hesitate to bring in the roses. He stated, "When we've bought from you before, the roses lasted at least 2 weeks. I wanted you to see these because I knew something was wrong." After apologizing and thanking him for bringing the product in so that we see them and could make the situation right for him, we gave him another dozen. Upon seeing the roses, it was obvious that in the holiday rush (still no excuse), a designer had not removed leaves below the water line and had probably not changed the water after removing the greened-up vase from the cooler. Our fault. Our apology. Our friendly replacement. Another entry to add to the MD notes for next year.

I had a gem this week. A guy complained that his wife had told him off for getting the wrong colour corsage for the daughter. I asked what colour it was supposed to be. 'Jade'. I am a florist, not a magician. Buffoon.

I had a gem this week. A guy complained that his wife had told him off for getting the wrong colour corsage for the daughter. I asked what colour it was supposed to be. 'Jade'. I am a florist, not a magician. Buffoon.

Actually the jade dendrobs might be what she was looking for. They are gorgeous!

V

make my own

I've become adept at stem dying I get the most beautiful shade of Jade by using yellow and larkspur blue Absorbit....makes a lovely Jade spray rose... :)
We call it the "Marie" rose at the shop... :flowerfac

They asked for rose and I doubt they even know what dendrobiums are! Don't think their £7.50 would run to them anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.