Creativity and/or the lack of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
On TF's website there are three popular arrangements that I have to make on a pretty regular basis. An all white arrangement in a basket, a cube arrangement with orange lilies and hot pink roses and an Easel arrangement with peach roses, pink carns and some white daisies.

Joe, I think I know the one you're talking about, is it "The Uniquely Chic" arrangement? I have that one on my website and we sell at least 1 of those per day. The FTD "Stunning Beauty" is another one those that sell really well, one of my designers calls it the "Stunning Ugly" because she's so sick of making them everyday.

Remember, we see flower designs everyday, the consumer doesn't. So what looks like a boring cookie cutter to you, won't have that same look, feel or emotional impact to the consumer.

There is a huge difference between you the floral designer and the customer.

which leads me to think that customers are customers are customers -- no matter if they live on the east coast, west coast, on a mountain, below sea level or in a corn field.

Joe

Heckofapoint or three

Listen to your customer.

Do what your customer wants.

There is no reason in the world you can't have both style and repeatable designs that are profitable.

Maybe that is what the owner or head designer's main responsibilty should be on a weekly basis. buy certain flowers in bulk and then come up with several unique (not necessarily WAY OUT THERE DESIGN SHOW STUFF) arrangements that can be sold that week.

That doesn't mean you have to forgo the tried and true recipe arrangements.

It just means you are offering an alternative.

Joe

For all those of you who champion the "cookie-cutter" arrangement, answer me one question.

Where is it written that a cookie cutter type arrangement can't be a creative, unique, well designed, above average level of design, made with class style and distinction?

That idea that a cookie cutter is plain and uninspired is coming across in your commentary.

There is no rule, except you still have to listen to your customer and know your market.

I have customers that hate arrangements in baskets and love vase arrangements. O.K., when they get flowers I know to put the flowers in the vase.

Some like open and airy.... seems a bit '90ish compared to today's updated floral versions of the 1970's classic roundy moundy tight flower arrangements.

When I look at the new arrangements of today, I see alot of old design elements.

Customers want color, size, shape. We just have to figure out that combination that sells best in our stores.

joe

After reading this for days on end, I believe that the reason for the "cookie cutter" idea for most shops is the fact that its is very hard to find and employ true floral designers...If your shop chooses the high end creative artsy way of life...As business grows, and staff grows your prices must go up exponentially because of the quality of the help you must hire...Chances are you will have a cap far below what some business minded people deem as successful. Your profitabilty is also hindered by this unless the market you are in allows for the ability to charge what you need to hire all those 25.00 an hour or more designers.

I believe that Ken saw that there was alot more opportunity to make money in volume in many aspects where he could keep his overhead lower buy standardizing designs and having lower paid flower arrangers and lower cost flowers but still put out a well designed product. When it comes to business models there is no right or wrong answers, many work. It all depends on where you want that business to go and in what direction...

For some buildinga floral empire might be more what they want sacrificing a smaller artsy very refined flower shop...both will work, both might even make money, but in most markets the high volume high production store if it gets the business will be the most profitable...

as Bloomz says opinions vary...

we created an image that did not attract customers seeking high-priced, individually styled custom arrangements. I'm sure that the LACK of these orders has consistently ADDED to our profitability, but I must confess I am somewhat sad about that developement becuase I personally liked to do those kinds of arrangements. It was part of the fun of being a florist.
Ya' know, there really doesn't have to be an 'either-or'. Look at someone like RC, who routinely posts amazing custom designs. His company is one of the highest volume operations in the US.

Same with Bices. No doubt they do a lot of production work, but you can bet that the artistry of Carol and the senior design team were in demand.

What I do think is lacking in many stores goes back to RCs post about the cookies. No matter the size, a shop needs to be proactive to promote items they're ready to make, and resist waiting for orders and then running out and buying the products.

Royer speaks of efficiencies. Custom work isn't usually efficient, but it can be profitable, both in the short and long term.

Reactions: 2 people
Your profitabilty is also hindered by this unless the market you are in allows for the ability to charge what you need to hire all those 25.00 an hour or more designers.

Wow! I would LOVE to make $25.00 an hour! Where do I sign up!

Trish

Ya' know, there really doesn't have to be an 'either-or'. Look at someone like RC, who routinely posts amazing custom designs. His company is one of the highest volume operations in the US.

Same with Bices. No doubt they do a lot of production work, but you can bet that the artistry of Carol and the senior design team were in demand.

What I do think is lacking in many stores goes back to RCs post about the cookies. No matter the size, a shop needs to be proactive to promote items they're ready to make, and resist waiting for orders and then running out and buying the products.

Royer speaks of efficiencies. Custom work isn't usually efficient, but it can be profitable, both in the short and long term.

I do agree that there does not need to be an either or situation. I would imagine that most flower shops that will succeed have a pretty good handle on all aspects of design. I do however believe that in order to grow larger a shop owner must at some point look at how things are done and to streamline with streamlining you often lose some of the creativity that the original designer may have had a vision of because not all the staff is able to perform to that ability. The upping of speed is also a factor in which you can lose some of the creativity in an arrangement...I do also believe that those big very busy shops wouldn't be as busy if they couldn't provide that small percentage of customers that want the creative and highly skilled arrangements because they are usually the ones who spread the word the quicket about what your shop can do...but a whole lot of effort needs to be put into the efficiencies side of things in order to balance things out....

Back to Winstons for a minute...They have a great big section of the warehouse that does nothing but production all day everyday. The arrangements are predesigned and a sample of each is made. The folks just copy that design and out to the party it goes...Then they have a whole section of some of the most amazing custom designers I have ever seen. Not sure how much you have to spend to get a custom design like these but WOW are some of them gorgeous and creative and wonderful...That department is not quite as large as the production department, I am sure the designers are pressed just as hard to produce but do far fewer arrangements a day compared to the production department but are equally as important to the business model...

This doesn't even include the wedding department, plant department and friut and gift basket department(I did not interview in any of these departments and cannot even begin to comment on how they were run)
I am sure they did not make it to where they are today buy just doing one or the other, it was a know what percentage of marketing budget and payroll budget to put towards each and knowing that custom work garners a higher markup because of the added price on labor for skill and marketing because it is harder to sell(sales people need to be more skilled to sell these types or marketing department need to be very fine tuned to get the word out). I believe this is where many fall short and make the decision on the either or...the lack of money and know how to get the word out(I know this is something I work on on a regular basis)

I get the feeling that moving toward 'cookie cutter' designs as a way to improve efficiency and the bottom line is great for the bigger shops, or even your own shop when it's grown to a certain level. But not now.

But what about putting some of that to work for you now? Even If you mix in some cookie cutter bouquets along with custom and become more efficient you WILL grow because labor is reduced and you'll have time to plan for the future.

Reactions: 1 person
I worked for a shop who made their own "cookie cutter" recipe arrgs which were really cute, btw and they sold a ton. Give them a cool name, and put them on the website. Why not? I would rather do the bulk recipe arrgs. for everyday orders, things that are easy to make and plan for. I would hate if I had to think of a recipe each time and custom design every single order.

It's also a good way to introduce new styles to your customers. They can't ask for things they don't see.

You got it Twiggy - I posted that to be helpful more than controversial.

Follow the leaders is a great strategy in life.

Selling proven sellers is simply good business.

I worked for a shop who made their own "cookie cutter" recipe arrgs which were really cute, btw and they sold a ton. Give them a cool name, and put them on the website. Why not? I would rather do the bulk recipe arrgs. for everyday orders, things that are easy to make and plan for. I would hate if I had to think of a recipe each time and custom design every single order.

It's also a good way to introduce new styles to your customers. They can't ask for things they don't see.

This is what I do.. I don't carry lots of different vases and the styles I offer can easily be changed.. (like RC's centerpieces) I have to find time to do it all at my shop and this was an area i could do that, not to mention that it's so much easier to buy and control my costs, and the designs are easy to teach.

They may not be the most over-the-top creative but they have a little Twigs Twist and my customers think they are great!

oh, and the names are important.. this saves the customer from the awkward situation of having to describe a bouquet they saw to you when they want to send it....
"can you do the one you sent to Susie last month?.. ummm.. it had some sticks and I think it was in a vase with some other flowers.. I think roses.."
OR
"I would like to send a Bay Breeze..."

see? easy! and everyone is on the same page.

Congratulations Twiggy!

You're on the right track.

As for the term cookie cutter, menu is the more appropriate term.

Even the most upscale restaurants provide their customers with a menu. Can you imaging going into a restaurant, sitting down, and having the waiter say "may I help you" without providing one?

"Yes, I'd like a pot roast."

"Yes Sir. That'll be ready in 8 hours. Can I offer you something to drink while you wait?"

RC

Yes Cathy,

and with the internet we all can now easily create our own menus. This wasn't really possible for florists 10 years ago.

RC

This is rare for me, but I disagree somewhat with this statement. I think you mean that with the advent of the internet, it made the menus VISIBLE and READILY ACCESSIBLE to our customers and potential customers.

But I have created floral menus for many years and on many occasions.......going back to the beginnings of my floral career. We could tell the customers about them on the phone when they called, or have them on big posters when they came into the shop.

I will re-iterate that irregardless of whether or not I agree or disagree with a statement, does not change the fact that I have a great deal of respect for Randy and I love to visit the website and keep abreat of just how incredible the work is.

If this southern boy ever decided to go up north and become a yankee, I would love to work with and in Randy's shop(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.