Does anyone use Pinterest?

Simon Says

Apr 1, 2011
Medford
State / Prov
New Jersey
I would be interested in knowing if anyone in Flowerchat uses and has experience of Pinterest. In your experience, what are the pros and cons of the site and concept?

I am increasingly hearing reference to it but not quite sure how and where the benefits for a small florist are.

Simon,

Usually when you start hearing a lot of buzz about a site, it's going to explode ~ run toward it so you get hit! The buzz is happening because more and more people are getting into it, and you want to be present wherever people are "hanging out".

There are many of us on flowerchat who are also on pinterest. The best advice I can give you, and anybody else, is to use it as a vehicle to show others what your company stands for in pictures. You will build pin-boards of pictures you find across the net.

BE DISCRETE ~ just because you may find a picture of nymphs frolicking together (just for an example, I'm not saying you would! ), this is probably not the personality you want to show for the business.

You can name the boards whatever you want, just remember you are using those boards to convey the personality of your company. I, for example, am into reusing junk, contemporary design, and English Mastiffs. I also have a somewhat quriky sense of humor so I have a board for that. These different boards get different people to see something that interests them and they will repin my picture. When they do that, they quite often will go and look at my other boards to see what else I have there, but more importantly, all of their followers will see the repin and can ALSO go and look at my other boards. Then I end up with more followers.

I cannot stress enough the importance of keeping it clean. It does not have to be professional, don't be constantly just adding designs and trying to sell them ~ this is an extremely subtle sell ~ you are marketing your brand identity. If you wouldn't want your customers thinking something represents your business ~ DON'T PIN IT!

hth

Thank you Linda and Anne. Completely agree that Pinterest appears to be on the cusp of "exploding" in popularity.

All points you both make noted and see that you are using it as a positioning statement for your respective businesses and to perhaps work on constructive event "style guide".

A question -if I may- how do people find you on Pinterest or is it all happenstance?

Linda and Anne,

how about a link so we can see what it's all about

thanks!

You need an invite to join. Have someone that is on pintrest you are friends with on face book to invite you. I joined under my name and now can't create a board for my business. So I have wedding boards, all 4 seasons and use my shop name as the description. I posted a few bouquets and got 42 pins in 15 minutes.

Reactions: Simon Says
I use it extensively. We set up a board for each potential client and pin pics they like during the consultation. It makes it easy to remember EXACTLY which bouquet and flowers they liked, colors, dresses, etc. I also set up boards for pics I find across the web based on color, flower, or occassion. These are for inspiration for me. I have a few random ones as well.

You can also add the client as a contributor to the board if they have an account. Save the trouble of having the client email you pics of things they find.

Drawbacks: you can't make a board private. Also, it can be difficult to find someone through their search. I've started asking for pinterest IDs along with facebook IDs in my pre-consult questionnaire. Also, it's growing pretty quickly, so it's not unusual to have issues. There have been times when I couldn't add contributors, or some of the pins didn't stick. These have gotten rarer in the last couple of months, though.

Here's a link to my account. You can see how I've set it up. If you want an invite, just let me know. Apparently, you'll get an account faster if you have an invite rather than just requesting an account.
http://pinterest.com/althea_wiles/

I have been using it a few months now, it's a little addictive. Ok, a lot addictive. I didnt get too much from it business wise at first, but in the last month it has really taken off, lots of repins and hopefully( I'll have to check) lots of links to the Gammage web site

Thank you also Lizi and Althea with your input. I'll check out your pin board Althea -thx for link.

Thank you Althea and Linda for your links. As Linda wrote, you have taken different approaches but that shows the versatility of the website and lets me lubricate my little grey cells further about this. As Missy and others have written I can see how it becomes addictive although it can look time consuming. Certainly useful as a style guide to your business and positioning and as Althea aptly shows as individual event style boards.

Thank you all for your answers and, if I have further questions, I know exactly where to come to get those answered.

We use it all the time! It especially works when I have brides that are out of town and are planning a wedding in the DC area. They create their pinterest board and it starts the conversation to put together an awesome wedding!
Happy Pinning, everyone :)

Reactions: CHR and Simon Says
Did you know that your products could be on Pinterest even if you're not? To check all you need to do is type: http://pinterest.com/source/YOURWEBSITEADDRESSHERE into your browsers address bar. (To clarify, for me the URL is: http://pinterest.com/source/growerdirect.com). You will see any pics from your site that your site users have added to their Pinterest account.

FYI Linda from anytime flowers - You're Mastiff is gorgeous! I'm an English Mastiff breeder/handler and just had to go peek at the pics of your fella!

You need an invite to join. Have someone that is on pintrest you are friends with on face book to invite you. I joined under my name and now can't create a board for my business. So I have wedding boards, all 4 seasons and use my shop name as the description. I posted a few bouquets and got 42 pins in 15 minutes.

Hi Lizi, I joined early on, and didn't need a friend to invite me, I just had to wait one or two days before I was let in. I made a page for myself first, but then made one for the business. I wonder if they've changed this, and now only allow on account??? My two user names are peggy70403, and harkinsflorist

Pinterest is the perfect visual buffet. Love it. Just too easy to lose myself in all those great images.

You can take a look at my pins here: http://pinterest.com/chrulloda/

A couple tips:

- DO fill out your profile info and include a bit about yourself. It helps a bit to let folks know what you're interested in pinning.

- DO write descriptions and properly categorize your boards (--->Edit --->Description, Category)

- DO give proper attributes to pins (if possible). Cite the source of the pic so the creator gets credit.

- DO NOT just pin your own design work. Pinterest is not just a portfolio. :)

Have fun. :) If you want a good laugh, check out this tongue-in-cheek board: Really? You Pinned That? The drunk knitter stuff really cracks me up. :>

Hi Althea: I would love an invite to pinterest. My e-mail is patricia[MENTION=1720]marys[/MENTION]flowersflo.com. I am new to FlowerChat and this site would be super for me. Thanks for your Help. Patricia[MENTION=1720]marys[/MENTION]