Does FTD, TF or 1800 charge YOU sales tax?

kt4ye

Oct 15, 2007
Charlotte
www.flowerhut.com
State / Prov
NC
If you are purchasing products or services (like a WS computer or service contract on WS supplied products) please take a look at your monthly statement and see if you are being charged State Sales Tax on those items.

I have reason to believe that they are charging florists a sales tax on florist-used items but NOt charging the general public for products that are delivered in your state. And THAT, I suspect, may not be in accordance with your State's Laws.

If you are being charged sales tax by any wire service, could you please share what WS, your State, what the item is and what the sales tax percent is? Is the percent the same as your state's retail sales tax?

If you don't feel comfortable with a "public" reply, please PM me.

Please note that I am NOT concerned about sales tax (not) charged on items purchased by florists for resale. THAT is a legitimate tax-exempt sale.

All the best,

Bill

Ah ha Bill. You may be onto something there.

I have not been in ws for well over a year but I dug out a statement from Bloomnet. This is from January, 2010. IIRC, our sales tax at the time was 6.875.(Yes, isn't that ridiculous?)

Under Bloomnet Technologies - BloomLink Software License Fee (5.00) added sales tax of .35

Under Bloomnet Supplementary Services and Fees - Floriology (5.99) added sales tax of .42 (This was their completely lame magazine that suddenly started appearing without warning, and to the best of my knowledge gleaned it's information from other floral publications. Even though I told them after I got billed for the first issue that I did not want it, they still sent it and billed it until I quit.)

Under Bloomnet Directory & Advertising Services - Directory ONLINE - (9.99) added sales tax of .71

Reactions: kt4ye
Bill,

In reply to your interesting question and thought process herewith information for us.

Based in New Jersey, Teleflora charging sales tax, at the NJ rate for sales of 7.00%, for:
- e-florist website order transmission fee (ie: 7% on the $3.45 for each order placed with us on the TF hosted website);
- Dove Network Service Fee;
- Dove Network Orders received (ie: 7% on the $1.75 - or for manual, based on $2.75);
- Eagle Floral Mgmt System;
- Eagle Floral Mgmt Back Office Maintenance;
- TF Dove Directory; and
- TF "Fsg Update/Marketing kit" - what a joke that kit is @ $14.99 forced down our ungrateful throats.

Will be interested to see where this takes you/us.

Simon

Thanks Linda and Simon.

Need MUCH more data before it's possible to come to any conclusions, much less any ideas about what to do.

C'mon folks! READ your monthly statements and see if YOU are charged sales tax by the WS

ALL THE BEST!

Bill

OK, Bill... I have not gotten one in a while but I dug one out for you...

We we're charged Sales Tax at a 6% rate (MI) on, Membership Directory Monthly Subscription and the Floral Selection Guide Monthly TAX...

Ha, that's funny, a tax on a tax... so glad to be free, now I know how the first settlers felt about England...

2011 April Statement

Current California Sales Tax Rate 8.75

Dove Service Fee $89.95 Tax $7.87
Managed Sertvices $19.99 Tax $1.75
Eagle Maintenance $155.00 Tax $13.57
Dove Directory Information Fee (WTF) $30.00 Tax $2.63
FSG Update/Marketing Kit (Extortion Fee) $14.99 Tax $1.31

2011 April Statement

You're surely not paying $155 for Eagle, are you? More like $55, isn't it? If it is $155, then you really should have added (WTF)!

This is for February 2011, my last real statement.

Illinois sales tax for my area 8%

Dove Service Fee ~ $89.95 Tax 5.62
Marketing Kit ~ $14.99 Tax .94
Flowers & Profits Newsletter - Don't think this counts but here it goes $49.99 Tax 3.12

You're surely not paying $155 for Eagle, are you? More like $55, isn't it? If it is $155, then you really should have added (WTF)!

Yep.

I have server and three workstations. Its more like (WTH) :)

Bill - here's what is on my last statement - our sales tax in Chapel Hill, NC is .0775

Eagle managed services - 19.99, 1.55
Eagle FMS mainten. - 95.00, 7.36
Floral Finance - 44.98, 3.49
Flowers & - 4.50, .35
Advertising (directory) - 74.00, 2.33
FSG update - 14.99, 1.16

Ken

2011 April Statement

OMG!!

Talk about extortion Fees... I now have a directory add charge that I DID NOT request! Unbelievable after working so hard to bring to bear minimum... :(

Dove Network Service Free $89.95 + $7.75 Tax
Flowes & Mag.. $7.50 + .65 tax

Dove/Directory Information Fee (something I don't even want) $30.00 + 2.58 Tax
FSG Update/marketing Kit (more stuff I don't want) $14.99 + 1.28 Tax

Wrote resignation letter this morning will mail today... I am So DONE!!!

Bill,

What sort of response have you had to this thread - I see the above but you may well have also had PMs. Are you getting a "feel" for the matter and do you still think that there may be a case for the WS to answer?

Simon

Reactions: anytimeflowers
Bill,

Care for an up-date on this matter?

Simon

I received no PMs here but have heard from other friends and associates that TFTD800 all charge sales tax to their members for not-for-resale products & services. But they do NOT charge customers that buy products like plants, flowers etc.

Whatcha know?

Bill

If is for resale like containers, fresh, etc no tax. Computer hardware, credit card supplies, delivery boxes etc, taxable.

Thanks Bill. Sounds about par for the course for the companies as they, to varying degrees, talk out of both sides of their respective mouths.