Expanding Our Offerings

Should We Add a Public Information Forum?

• Yes, bring the people in to a separate public area!

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • No, keep the people completely out of FlowerChat.

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

theRKF

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2002
striderseo.com
State / Prov
DE
I've been thinking a bit today ...

I'm considering expanding the scope of FlowerChat. Currently we are the premier forum for those in the floral industry to discuss issues of the day. Many relationships have been formed on boards of this nature.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing:
I'd like to add a public portion to FlowerChat, for floral enthusiasts and consumer input and questions. Let me be clear. The existing portions of FlowerChat will remain CLOSED to the public, just as they are now. I would add new forum(s) for lay people to interact with us, and new industry members would have to be moderated before gaining full access. I'm hoping that through this forum we can build strong relationships with consumers and better educate them about our industry.

For this to work well, current members would have to market FlowerChat to their customers. This doesn't have to involve any cost - just a link or button ad on your websites, a note printed on statements, etc. I'm also hoping to persue some other means of advertising soon.

Please vote on the poll, and post your thoughts here.

Ryan

We are constantly promoting this site to our customers and on the Florist Board. flowerSoft even offers a link from one of its menus.

However, what do you think the general public will gain by coming here? and... why do you think they will come here?
What are you going to offer them?

I've thought about it.....

there IS a very good reason why THIS is the premier site for florists...because it IS for florists, BIG ones, little one's, black ones, white ones, good ones and GREAT ones, and we CAN goof off here, if we see the need.
We can argue, and jest, and pull each other's legs in florist layterms, without ANY fear of exposing our "weaknesses" to the outside, and though I'd just LOVE, for the odd person OUTSIDE of our industry to give us THEIR candid views, and opinions, I'd be "forced" to bite my tongue, more than I'm accustomed to.
Our profession is a "closed" profession...because few IF ANY people can figure out why we doo, what we do, for the little we DOO it for, and are STILL generally happy campers!
I don't think, there is enough time, in our lifetimes, to justify to the reading public, our peculiar misbehaviours!
And frankly, I won't "explain" them either.
I still LOVE this industry, it's some of the customers AND public, I can do without......I'd feel like a "chicken" on a "hot seat"!
JMHO...
Mike

Attachments

• chickens_and_turkeys_naked_chicken_2_prv.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 157
I like it the way it is myself. On our company website, we have a link for FlowerChat.

Only people I'd think that could see a open area could be Media types, (Not the rest of the areas) who might want to find Floral information or opinions that Florists and others in the Industry might have on the subject.

Word needs to be spread about some of the weasels out there.

This works just great now, no need to allow all our trade secrets out. By the way Mikey , was that taken at Audra's wedding of you doing the "funky chicken". HA!!!

From the responses I've read, I want to be sure you understand what I'm suggesting.

A separate area for the public. The existing forums will remain CLOSED - trade only.

I understood it was a separate forum. I actually haven't voted yet. I am thinking it could be very enlightening. It really depends on who ends up posting on it.

I tend to think that posters might end up being people that have something to complain about and end up dumping their bad experience on us instead of where the problem happened (info could still be helpful though) or forum junkies who post from no experience, they just like to hear themselves talk (write).

I think I will go for it and vote yes. It can't hurt and if it turns out not to be worth it, you can always stop it, right?

It might be very interesting! :argue:

Perhaps the poll is misleading if the public is not going to be able to enter the members area. ??? I think the poll indicates that our privacy would be invadedif we choose yes ? I realize that is not the case but the poll needs to be re-worded.???:>

What would be the benefits of allowing the public into a separate area?
Why would they go there?
What would it offer them?:confused:

I'm thinking of forums like the Frugal Bride, for instance. Brides post questions and experiences about their upcoming weddings and then post-marriage reactions as well. Fellow brides and vendors have the opportunity to interact with the brides. Often, ladies stay active in the forum long after their wedding.

We could have a member directory - need a florist in Midland, MI? Use Smith's! People can ask questions about flower care, "what kind of flower is this?" etc. My thought is that when we take the opportunity to strengthen relations with the customers, all florists benefit in ways that grocery stores, order gatherers and their ilk never can.

When I started FlowerChat, I struggled to come up with 5 forum titles. Look at us now!

BTW - I've reworded the poll to better reflect the question. If you need a vote corrected, PM me.

I understand the concept Ryan and have no problem with it...as long as (boy is this going to sound elitist) our space isn't invaded. Like Mikey, I agree this is a great forum for our industry to just be who we are without fear of reprisals and recriminations.

It would be interesting to see how the other side would use this forum...perhaps there would be positive feedback by spells. ;) (I always live in hope.)

I will vote yes...with the adendum...this part of the forum be a closely guarded secret from the outside world.

V,

I completely agree.

NO non-floral people in the inner sanctum! That was the foundation for FlowerChat, and so it will remain.

The florist industry is probably the least organized there is.
With very few exceptions, and I can't think of any now, every florist has his/her way of doing everything. Using just delivery pricing as an example, including special, late, long distance,etc., I would not want to explain why I charge what I do for special trips when a customer was told on the forum that another florist does not charge extra. I can just picture a discussion about prices and delivery policy in Dayton, and Cincinatti vs. Hartsdale, NY.
Virtually any and every question a customer might have, there would be almost as many different answers as there are florists. I think this forum would create problems for florists trying to justify their way of doing business differently from what was mentioned on the forum. There is currently a battle royale on the Floristboard that would turn to blows, were it not for the geography involved, over these very differences. We should avoid showing our dirty laundry to the public.
I would not recommend the forum to my customers under any circumstances. I vote no.
Regards, Pete

Pete,

Very good points. I appreciate your input!

Ryan

No doubt, the public is quite interested in flower info.

The biggest area of inquiry will be in the 'how-to' category - you know - save yourself $ by making it yourself. There will be lots of interest - BUT - do you really want to give all that info away (plus devote loads of time.)

Responses to consumer questions should be limited to a very, very few moderators, IMHO.

Perhaps a 'static' site where general info is available (similar to aboutflower.com) with a place for consumers to 'suggest' additions to the site...

Interesting concept.

I vote to keep it exclusively for florists and others in the floral industry for the same reason my fellow boardies have mentioned in the previous posts!

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.