Status
Not open for further replies.

ifloral

Dec 26, 2007
Long Island
State / Prov
NY
Hey all,
We are currently a successful wholesale florist. We hear every day how florists are upset at their wire services. We have assembled a team and have started to lay out a business strategy on creating a nationwide wire service that is much more florist friendly. We support the florists and we want to help you guys out. Of course we are trying to make money for ourselves, but we are going to be far less greedy than the current big 3 wire services. We plan on going full force and competing with the big boys. Can you guys list some things you hate about your current wire service and things you would like to see in a new wire service. Would you guys be open to a new service like this or woudl you want to stick with your current wire service?

All input is appreciated.

Hey all,
We are currently a successful wholesale florist. We hear every day how florists are upset at their wire services. We have assembled a team and have started to lay out a business strategy on creating a nationwide wire service that is much more florist friendly. We support the florists and we want to help you guys out. Of course we are trying to make money for ourselves, but we are going to be far less greedy than the current big 3 wire services. We plan on going full force and competing with the big boys. Can you guys list some things you hate about your current wire service and things you would like to see in a new wire service. Would you guys be open to a new service like this or woudl you want to stick with your current wire service?

All input is appreciated.

Hated things-

Sending only florists!!!!!
They ruin the WS model...

A wire service that creates a consumer site, to compete with florists directly for the same customer.

Tracey could you elaborate a little with what you mean by a consumer site? We plan on operating the same way FTD or 1800 operates but with much lower fees.

David- Yes i own ifloral.com, I bought it from the person on those forums.

The person on the forum said they just picked it up on December 21st 2007.
Today is December 26th 2007. When did you decided you wanted to start a wire service?

David what is this inquisition for? I am trying to help out florists by making a florist friendly wire service, and want to hear what you guys would like to see in a new service.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

A wire service that creates a consumer site, to compete with florists directly for the same customer.

Tracey could you elaborate a little with what you mean by a consumer site? We plan on operating the same way FTD or 1800 operates but with much lower fees.

David, You are kidding aren't you? You really don't know what a WS sponsored consumer website is all about?

Joe

David what is this inquisition for?
You know, I forgot this is an introductory thread.
Ifloral, please tell us a little about yourself, how you came to be interested in beginning a new wire service; about your wholesale business; tell us about yourself!

thanks,
tracy

Well Tracey as I said in my first post, I have heard many florists complaining about their current wire services. They charge ridiculous fee's, and nickel and dime you on everything. Such as a directory listing. What is that? That is a ridiculous fee, and since they are really the only game in town they can do this. We personally feel that the time is right to come in and run with the big companies. We have the resources and capital to do so. We have several ideas that will make the florists happy, that I do not want to say in a public place, just to keep the ideas to ourselves until we implement them. Once again we want to create a service that makes the florists and the end consumer happy. We see how unhappy the florists are, at the moment with current services. We support the florists.

Yes i own ifloral.com, I bought it from the person on those forums.

The person on the forum said they just picked it up on December 21st 2007.
Today is December 26th 2007. When did you decided you wanted to start a wire service?
And iFloral's answer to the above would be?

I'm hoping you are neither of the people that posted in the forums David pointed out, as the one home page listed in the profile of MSKing, leaves MUCH to be ignored!

So you say you are a wholesaler, and all comments are appreciated...so here goes...

I think you are the same person that posted on those forums...if not, call me 989-631-0470...$200K is NOT enough to do what you say you want to do....

First, to build a "new" wire service, the first thing you will need to contemplate is a new platform...how are you going to connect the membership?

Secondly, there are already a couple "new" models being worked on already, one, built by florists is promising, but has it's own drawbacks, a second is too new to tell, but has perhaps a few million dollars behind it, and a third, yet to be seriously considered has some major florists backing, but as far as I can tell little other support.

Third, how do you plan to gain the trust of the florists without coming out and stating who you are, where you are and why you think you can do something that no one else has been able to do in several attempts?

Fourth, the list of dont's is probably longer than the list of do's.

Fifth, wire service volume has dropped considerable over the last 12-18 months, across all wire services, why are you thinking you can make money at this game?

Sixth, a "wire service" requires a "clearing house" something that is regulated by the Federal Government, do you see yourselves gaining approval from the Feds to open a clearinghouse? or do you plan to finance the "game" via florist credit cards for order payment?

Seventh, do you have Floral Images?

Eighth, Have you considered working with any other already in place group to further an existing effort?

Ninth, Have you planned for, or considered how you are going to "qualify" florists for membership? or are you going to take anyone who's check clears?

Ten, see all of the above, if you have answers for these, I have a hundred more for you, some of which are important, both from your perspective, as well as from the florists side.

BTW...welcome to FlowerChat... I look forward to your answers and input...

iFloral.com is a pretty good URL... not bad... I have a few too, like RealFlorist.com and others that could work, perhaps better...maybe we should chat...

Hey BOSS thanks for your input. Do you have yahoo messenger? Id like to speak with you some more. I have alot of answers to your questions as we have gone over alot of this? You do seem knowledgeable on the subject and would like to speak with you further. My yahoo name is Bperry6754

Hey BOSS thanks for your input. Do you have yahoo messenger? Id like to speak with you some more. I have alot of answers to your questions as we have gone over alot of this? You do seem knowledgeable on the subject and would like to speak with you further. My yahoo name is Bperry6754
Nope, don't Yahoo...am on Windows Live Messenger [email protected] (never check the email account, so don't send anything there. I am available by PM (private message) here always, just click on my name and select Send Private Message.

Heading home for the night...you have my phone number...gimme a ring if you wish Thursday morning...

Der ilocal:
We would all feel a little more comfortable responding to your inquiries if we knew the following, in addition to what BOSS has posted above:

1. Who are you, really??? Real Name, Real business name, city & state.

2. What is it that you intend to start?? You claim a wire service "siimilar to FTD/TF" Please elaborate. What is the business plan? Are you looking at a directory, an internet based exchange service, a clearing house, an image library, etc, etc.

3. Starting a wire service in not an inexpensive proposition. Who are you owners/inventors? (Not looking for specific names, just information on whether this will be a privately held company, a publicly held firm, or membership on a "buy-in" type basis, or some other type of entity?

Please supply answers. And Thank you for your time.

Cheryl

You know, I forgot this is an introductory thread.
Ifloral, please tell us a little about yourself, how you came to be interested in beginning a new wire service; about your wholesale business; tell us about yourself!

thanks,
tracy

Well Tracey as I said in my first post, I have heard many florists complaining about their current wire services. They charge ridiculous fee's, and nickel and dime you on everything. Such as a directory listing. What is that? That is a ridiculous fee, and since they are really the only game in town they can do this. We personally feel that the time is right to come in and run with the big companies. We have the resources and capital to do so. We have several ideas that will make the florists happy, that I do not want to say in a public place, just to keep the ideas to ourselves until we implement them. Once again we want to create a service that makes the florists and the end consumer happy. We see how unhappy the florists are, at the moment with current services. We support the florists.

You know this is the second Red Flag you threw up with me.

First you don't know what Tracey was referring to when she asked about the WS sponsored consumer website.

And now this.

You have not answered her question.

Who are you and what is your experience in the floral industry?

Ifloral, you should note, you are being qualified for admission into this forum. Your post is in the Introduction section. If you qualify as a legitmate member of the floral community you will gain full access to this site.

Now lets put the cart behind the horse and start over. please.

and thank you

Joe

My name is Brad Perry, I live in New York. I am 19 years old. I have grown up in the floral industry. I have always said I never wanted to be part of the business. So A few years back i became an internet marketer, and became very successful at it (especially for a high school student). I graduated from high school and started college. Soon realized college was not for me. So I took the money i made from my internet business and invested in a starting a beverage distributor. I have seen that distributors can be very profitable, so I decided to get involved in that area of business. I still do own and run my beverage distributor, although I feel as if it isnt my calling and I am meant to do something else. The internet is really my forte as I consider myself very experienced in marketing and advertising. I hang around my parents business alot, and hear very often how the florists are unhappy with their wire services and I see how I can capitalize on that. I want to take the approach to be on the florists side, and help them out as much as possible. make both sides happy and supply the end consumer with a quality product. I am an extremely business oriented and ambitious individual and look to revolutionize the industry. I apologize if we got off to a bad start. But anyway, thats my story.

Reactions: 1 person
Der ilocal:
We would all feel a little more comfortable responding to your inquiries if we knew the following, in addition to what BOSS has posted above:
...Cheryl

Cheryl, please don't confuse ilocal for ifloral...
iLocalFlorist.com (also called ilocal) is in no way connected to this enterprise.

BTW ifloral, welcome to FlowerChat.

My name is Brad Perry, I live in New York. I am 19 years old. I have grown up in the floral industry. I have always said I never wanted to be part of the business. So A few years back i became an internet marketer, and became very successful at it (especially for a high school student). I graduated from high school and started college. Soon realized college was not for me. So I took the money i made from my internet business and invested in a starting a beverage distributor. I have seen that distributors can be very profitable, so I decided to get involved in that area of business. I still do own and run my beverage distributor, although I feel as if it isnt my calling and I am meant to do something else. The internet is really my forte as I consider myself very experienced in marketing and advertising. I hang around my parents business alot, and hear very often how the florists are unhappy with their wire services and I see how I can capitalize on that. I want to take the approach to be on the florists side, and help them out as much as possible. make both sides happy and supply the end consumer with a quality product. I am an extremely business oriented and ambitious individual and look to revolutionize the industry. I apologize if we got off to a bad start. But anyway, thats my story.
Much better intro - and you're a wholesale florist as well?

I admire your ambition, really. Trying to change something that has been an established system for so long will take a lot of support, and a lot of financial resources.

I should have been more clear in my original response. FTD/TF/800Flowers each operate their own independent consumer driven sites, to gather consumer orders. Then they feed them back to the florists at the traditional 80/20 split, or whatever the fee structure is. A new wire service, hoping to gain the trust and support of member florists would be wise to avoid this type of set up, and not compete with its florist members for the same consumer orders. That's probably one of the biggest complaints I personally have with the WS industry.

The big WS charge more like 70/30 split with outrages monthly fees. With the wire service taking 30% of a 100 dollar order, the end consumer is only getting a product valued at only $70 dollars. It is getting very hard for florists to make money with this structure and are almost putting florists out of business. We have new ideas that will hopefully revolutionize the floral industry, making it stronger, rather than draining it like current wire services.

Status
Not open for further replies.