Florist Friendly Wire Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big WS charge more like 70/30 split with outrages monthly fees. With the wire service taking 30% of a 100 dollar order, the end consumer is only getting a product valued at only $70 dollars. It is getting very hard for florists to make money with this structure and are almost putting florists out of business. We have new ideas that will hopefully revolutionize the floral industry, making it stronger, rather than draining it like current wire services.

Fabulous, take less money. You'll make $$, we'll make $$, the consumer will benefit.

But what about the consumer driven site I mentioned?

tracy

Brad - I'm curious, which shop is your parents?

tracy

Tracey id rather not mention my parents business at this point in time, in case they dont want to be associated with this. I hope you understand

The big WS charge more like 70/30 split with outrages monthly fees. With the wire service taking 30% of a 100 dollar order, the end consumer is only getting a product valued at only $70 dollars.

Tracey id rather not mention my parents business at this point in time, in case they dont want to be associated with this. I hope you understand
I do understand, especially if you do not understand the fee structure for wire orders. Wire in orders are not to be discounted in value to make up for the 30%. Rather, that 30% is a comission paid to the wire service, not a discount on the order to be adjusted in value and filled for less $$ than the consumer paid. I'd get that bit straight - it's a very important point.

tracy

Tracey you took my example in the wrong way. I understand that the price of the sale is not discounted, but if a florist is only getting $70 for a peice, they are only going to give you $70 worth of value in the arrangement. So the customer is paying for a 100 dollar arrangement and the florist is only going to put what they have to in order to make a profit.

No sir, I think I understood you quite well.
If your customer paid you $100 for flowers, and you sent me that order for $100, we would deduct our delivery fee, our standard labor rate, if it was a labored item, and then the retail value of flowers, and any product used in that arr. Our local customer orders of $100 would be filled the same way, excepting the delivery fee would be added on instead of deducted.

Tracey, Im not sure if im following you.
ex. 1800flowers sells a $100 arrangement to a customer. They call you up and say I need you to deliver this to 123 blah street and we can give you 70% of the order. You will make $70 on that order. Are you goin to put as much value in that arrangement, than as if someone came into your shop and purchased a $100 arrangement?

Tracey, Im not sure if im following you.
ex. 1800flowers sells a $100 arrangement to a customer. They call you up and say I need you to deliver this to 123 blah street and we can give you 70% of the order. You will make $70 on that order. Are you goin to put as much value in that arrangement, than as if someone came into your shop and purchased a $100 arrangement?

Yes Brad - those are the rules.

Yes, some florists skirt around those rules, by filling the order for the discounted amount, rather than the full amount paid by the sender. But that's not the way it's supposed to work. That is very very very damaging to the floral industry, shops who fill that way, discounting like that. There is a substantial difference between a $70 & $100 floral arr. I would not want my shop's name on an order that was supposed to look like, and be valued for $100, but really was valued at and looked like $70.

tracy

I'm not Tracy, but I will answer what I do, and that is YES I fill the order for $100 less my delivery fee. I have to, it is my reputation that is on the line if I don't. The customer spent $100, that is what the customer is expecting, and that is what the customer will get. I then put a business card on the arrangement, and if possible point out to my customer that if their Mom, Aunt, boyfriend, etc. would like to call me direct I would be more that happy to take their order directly. That is how I do it.

I agree 100% Tracey. I feel as if I have already said too much, and plan on getting to work. Look for us in Fall of '08.

Brad

Brad -

What's your relationship to floristone.com and socialflowers.com? IIRC the former's city-targeted pages got whacked by Google big time in December and helped more real local florists get found for their cities this Christmas.

You'll have to pardon all the queries but we locals are getting more and more overtures from order gatherers whose dwindling successes make them look to us for help (and monetization).

Having read through all the posts in this thread......A couple of things come to mind.

First of all - Welcome to Flowerchat.

Secondly.....The questions I have concerning a wire service stem from me NOT being a shop owner.

First question: The big three promote a lot of standardized design. However, they promote it by using their containers and a lot of the time, using product not available to a good many florists. How would your service differ in that respect?

Second question: The big three claim to use nationwide averages gleaned from various sources to suggestivly price their product......How would you assure a level playing field so that all florists were able to make money on the designs?

Third question: Traitional wire services are based on sending and not recieving. How much more dollars would be diverted to the filling florist and not the sending florist?

Ifloral, your answers to the questions make me think you lack the experience and the fundamental knowledge of the problems associated with operating a flower shop or a new WS.

Most of my incoming business comes from real brick and mortar flower shops not OG's. I suspect that if you asked most shops here they would give you the same answer. So your comments about 70/30 pct split concerns me.

What did you do in your parents' flower shop as a kid growing up?

What kind of wholesale florist are you?

joe

Yup - all of the above.

Expect a degree of skepticism here - you must know we've heard this same kind of pitch before.

(I had to control myself to not say same kind of shiit before)

Brad, you have to understand that we are all understandably skeptical when we hear someone, especially at 19 years old (still wet behind the petals) begin by saying they want to "help us"...we have heard it before, and often from folks with hundreds of millions of dollars behind them.

The **KEY** to building anything "New" in this industry is to have the support of the Real Florists, traditional B&M shops. It has even been tried many times before, and a few of those attempts have been done by florists. The best current example of this is IFA (Independent Florist Association). Many high quality florists are members, but the still remaining overlaying factor is multi-fold. Connectivity is one, order volume is another, and coverage is still another.

One thing you have to take into account, is order volume. Sadly *most* florists (not FC members for the most part) are seriously interested in joining anything that will "get them more orders", hence the reason the BIG3 have such an easy time of finding and signing unsuspecting marginal florists. You have two types of florists in the wire biz, thats it TWO. One, the shop who sends more than they receive, and Two, the shops that receive more than they send.

Of those that send, it's said that 10% of the florists send 80% of the volume. Most of that same 10% are in it for the percentage and rebate they get from the wires, and have NO incentive to change, however if they did, they could in very short order kill the wires, take the industry to a new level, and not only make the fillers more profitable, but also make more money for themselves...but alas they are very short sighted.

Next you have those shops that fill more than they receive, they are working on a losing P&L statement, all the while thinking they are making money. Yes, some if not many do make a profit, but alas I believe they could make much more if they really knew what was going on in their businesses.
FYI...we're a pretty tightly knit group here, and have maybe a million years of combined experience in the industry. We take our beloved industry very seriously, and often come out with both guns blazing and a take no prisoners attitude. We have as I said before, been told many times that someone wanted to "help us", only to be shown that that was a ruse to get the foot in OUR DOOR and begin to rape the margins.

Your 19, have not been in the retail end, and while I encourage your effort, I suggest you read, listen and learn, many here will be glad to share information once they get a true feel for you, your plans and maybe get some background on where your coming from.

____
FYI...we're a pretty tightly knit group here, and have maybe a million years of combined experience in the industry. We take our beloved industry very seriously, and often come out with both guns blazing and a take no prisoners attitude. We have as I said before, been told many times that someone wanted to "help us", only to be shown that that was a ruse to get the foot in OUR DOOR and begin to rape the margins.

Your 19, have not been in the retail end, and while I encourage your effort, I suggest you read, listen and learn, many here will be glad to share information once they get a true feel for you, your plans and maybe get some background on where your coming from.

Bradley, Bradley, Bradley....you want a "posse"??...show us your sixguns!! We are ALL for a 19 year old, with NO "inhibitions" come up with "another version" of the round wheel, that WORKS FOR REAL FLORISTS!!
We do indeed understand your enthusiasm....we are ALL FOR IT, and will help in any way we can, BUT, frankly, UNLESS you let us know that YOU are on the SAME PAGE as US.......it's a rare quality indeed, that ANY 19 year old kid, can kinda "get" the predicament we are in!!
TRUST is the "issue" here......we've heard YOUR words said MANY,MANY times before...and frankly, we're just a little "gun shy".....

Reactions: 1 person
My friendly relay service only charges me $3.99 relay fee no special containers etc., web site service, email marketing and merchant service . I keep 20% the filling florist is a real florist! They serve me very well,I am very satisfied .Incoming orders I receive 100%. Simple easy to use .

My friendly relay service only charges me $3.99 relay fee no special containers etc., web site service, email marketing and merchant service . I keep 20% the filling florist is a real florist! They serve me very well,I am very satisfied .Incoming orders I receive 100%. Simple easy to use .

Hi Swtp I am curious. How is that you keep 20 pct on the outgoing side but receive 100 pct on the incoming side?

thanks
joe

Status
Not open for further replies.