Flowerchatter03

Co-Owner and Floral Composer
Oct 14, 2007
Cross Lanes
www.crosslanesfloral.com
State / Prov
West Virginia
Called a shop for a wire out and here's the conversation:

"Hello this is Pat with Cross Lanes Floral. We have a possible order for your shop for delivery tomorrow. Our customer would like a small bear with balloons for a 3 year old's birthday. I have a total of $50."

Reply:

"We only attach balloons to flower arrangements so we can't do that. Why don't you try....florist"

I have a florist here in town that won't make Christmas wreaths or decorations, sends many a funeral piece my way, doesn't like certain brides and sends them here, won't make dendrobium corsages or anything other than white rose corsages..I hav eyet another that won't sell anything less than 20.00 for a wrapped bouquet, if you only want 3 irises he will send them here...The list goes on and on what florists will and will not do...amazing anyone buys flowers at all, when all these people hear is we won't, don't or can't help you with this purchase...they all give those of us that do a really bad name...

Reactions: CarverFlowers
Johan, I know really...

I figure if someone wants it and wants to give me money for it and I have the components in my store, hell I'll sell it...I make shyte up on a whim if I have a live one in the store and can't seem to please them with what I have made up, I just keep making stuff up until something clicks and they buy or they walk out the store...I certainly aren't sending them out until I offer everything my little mind can dream up...

I would never ever refuse any reasonable order and absolutely not send a customer to the opposition!
Today I had a customer wanting a £6 spring bunch delivered to the next village over, they never flinched at the £6 delivery cost, and I have one order for Mothers day for a candle in a cup, a box of chocs and a brooch. No flowers at all, but will get all gift wrapped up and sent out with the same care as the flowers do.

If I have it, I will sell it. Maybe they should have put a bout. on the bear so it would technically be flowers and not go against store policy. And that florist probably complains about being slow....duh...I wonder why?

I certainly WOULD NOT tie balloons to a stuffie alone....here's why, many people "forget" that sometimes they give gifts to little kids that are NOT appropriate, and we had a case, whereby an 11 month old got tangled in the balloon strings, and although his life was NOT in danger, the brand new, first time mom freaked out, really freaked out!!

I never tie the balloons to the stuffie..I wrap the stuffie in cello and tie the balloons to the cello...That way the parent needs to take the gift apart in order to give to the child...i do realize there are a whole lot of stupid people in the world and I prethink out the stupid people can do with my stuff....I try anyway, I still have some that are way more stupid than I can even comprehend!!!

I do the same thing, Lori. But seriously, if people want to sue us for something they will find a way, Maybe the glass vase breaks and they cut themselves...should we only use plastic? What if a baby eats a flower? Too many scenarios to prepare for. We will never think of every possible liability so I do not get overly obsessed with what I can't foresee.

Oh I don't. I get far to obsessed with many other things..I learned long ago that I can only prepare for some of the stupidity in the world..When shampoo has warning lables on it and directions you know the levels of stupidity go much deeper than any human can have knowledge of...

Oh I don't. I get far to obsessed with many other things..I learned long ago that I can only prepare for some of the stupidity in the world..When shampoo has warning lables on it and directions you know the levels of stupidity go much deeper than any human can have knowledge of...

So true. It never fails to give me pause when I inadvertently catch some warning. It blows my mind and gets me thinking.....and sometimes I just can't figure out.........."Hmmm, I wonder what doo-moss caused THAT particular warning!"

Gosh Pat, I think that reply would have caused speechlessness......not easy.

Well Linda I did what the other florist suggested and called their competitor. To give you a little more detail, this is for a really good customer of mine. Buys flowers and gifts to be wired out to that same city all the time. I have used that same florist in the past. However, after this stupid phone call, I have now marked the other florist as preferred. I am tired of unprofessional florists and I don't have time for them.

As for the liability issue, the parents will obviously answer the door, not the kid. Therefore, it is their responsibility to take care of the bear and balloons. The grandparents are a surgery nurse and the chief of surgery in a major hospital. If it's okay with them to send this gift, it is certainly ok by me.

On a positive note - We called Milford Flowers and Gifts by Sister Act in Milford, NE today for a plant for a Sunday visitation. What friendly service! She even offered her cell number in case we needed her after hours. It was refreshing to call a florist who cheerfully took a direct credit card order. I'm getting closer and closer to dropping Teleflora.

Reactions: flow2178 and theRKF
I'm also in a small town as the gals in Milford NE we do what we got to do to make a living. If that means Sunday delivery then that is what we do. I think it is more the larger cities that don't want to deliver on Sundays or even Sat. anymore. They must all be rich or they are paid by the hour and no one wants to pay them overtime and the people who own the shops don't care.

I'm also in a small town as the gals in Milford NE we do what we got to do to make a living. If that means Sunday delivery then that is what we do. I think it is more the larger cities that don't want to deliver on Sundays or even Sat. anymore. They must all be rich or they are paid by the hour and no one wants to pay them overtime and the people who own the shops don't care.

I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the town or city. I am in a metropolis, and most of us deliver funerals on Sundays. I think it has more to do with mindset. Most of the ones who wouldn't have considered delivering on a Sunday are no longer in business......

I certainly WOULD NOT tie balloons to a stuffie alone....here's why, many people "forget" that sometimes they give gifts to little kids that are NOT appropriate, and we had a case, whereby an 11 month old got tangled in the balloon strings, and although his life was NOT in danger, the brand new, first time mom freaked out, really freaked out!!
And I would never sell a car to someone because sometimes people 'forget' to use seatbelts. I also wouldn't sell a soda to someone with a young child because sometimes people 'forget' that you shouldn't give it to young kids.
I get your point Mikey and it's totally valid, but I'm not worried about other people's stupidity.
I'll sell you whatever, whenever.

Reactions: theRKF and Victoria
I agree if we keep that kind of thinking alive we'll never sell anything. That kind of thinking is what creates
people keeping the courts system busy with people sueing other people. Let's give them more ideas.

And I would never sell a car to someone because sometimes people 'forget' to use seatbelts. I also wouldn't sell a soda to someone with a young child because sometimes people 'forget' that you shouldn't give it to young kids.
I get your point Mikey and it's totally valid, but I'm not worried about other people's stupidity.
I'll sell you whatever, whenever.

you know......you could shovel your walkways, clear them of debris, make sure you've sprinkled out ice melter, and provided hazardous warning signs, but, people will STILL take the chance to sue you, but, would highly likely NOT win their case.
A FREAKING OUT MOM, who's brand new first baby is in "mortal" danger because WE SHOULD have "known" better....wouldn't have ANY problem winning her case
Is it "stupid"??.....yes, and no