Florists say the darnest things!

:pblush:OK--I hesitated to write this but here goes---
You know, I was faced with this just the other day--I got an order for a vase with greens, babies breath and a dozen "Prunes" attached to sticks--I thought it over and then refused it--While I might do this for a regular customer who takes it herself--I did not want to send it out with my name on it!!
You may not agree with me BUT---

Hi Bobbi...

Since it was MY SHOP that sent you the order, I guess I should put in my "two cents."

We have had this item in our product line for at least 10 years. We deliver it locally and via TF nationwide. The last time we looked, we are Google Page 1 #3 for the generic search term "over the hill flowers."

Is anyone else on list with a generic term page 1 ranking?

We have a "suggested" card message: "On your birthday, we hope everything comes out OK." We personally monitor the messages. Any that are hurtful or "over the line" cause us to contact the sender with an amended message. Twice we have refused orders that were obscene or hurtful.

We provide the FILLING florist with two to three days lead time ( we specify 72 hours min on our website). That gives the FILLING florist time to add a $3 bag of prunes to the regular bread/milk/beer (!) stop at a local supermarket. We provide the FILLING florist with $55.49 including $10.50 for delivery. (Net = about $38 or $39.)

Anyone wanna calculate the gross margin on this?

We also recognize that some florists may not wish to fill the order. In order to assist those florists in their decision making, we add the following information under the "comments" section: "If You Cannot Fill, Please Refuse Immediately. Photo At Www.flowerhut.com Birthdays. Thank You."

FILLING florists responses fall in three categories: The smallest quantity refuse with a denigrating comment. Most refusals are polite. (Bobbi, your shop was one of these -- thank you.) The third category (about 60%) fill the order. Many of the third category fone us or send us a note telling us how much "fun" it was!

So... I make money. The FILLING florist makes money. The customer finds a "special" way to "tease" a "NEW Oldtimer." And I have fun!

Sounds kinda "win win win" to me.

I have done the same type of design myself.......and sold it many times.......and NEVER got or heard about an unhappy sender or recipient. Also, have done several other "novelty' designs over the years......some considerably more risque than others......

We are creative, original, designers and artists.......we can always take an idea and make it fit our image, store, reputation, or whatever. How many variations could we come up with using prunes.

For instance..........go to the photo gallery......see the dozen roses section. There is a design using roses and condoms......very cute, very stylish, very fun.

Reactions: kt4ye
Hi Bobbi...

Since it was MY SHOP that sent you the order, I guess I should put in my "two cents."

We have had this item in our product line for at least 10 years. We deliver it locally and via TF nationwide. The last time we looked, we are Google Page 1 #3 for the generic search term "over the hill flowers."

Is anyone else on list with a generic term page 1 ranking?

congrats you are now #2! (pun intended)

seriously tho, my shop is not a high end design shop, but I reject and redirect bad ideas all the time. I hate tipping roses/carns in paint, and I have told several customers that we don't do that. However, I never FINISH a sentence with "no"; I quickly suggest an alternative and I don't think I have lost a single customer over not painting flowers. I have had people want to "check around" because I won't send dead flowers, but I just won't do it.

Reactions: kt4ye and BobbiR
Jamie... I agree with you... for your store.

Using the search engines, it is easy to see that a thriving market segment exists for Over The Hill products and services. My shop has a couple of products that fit that segment.

In the last 24 months, I have watched shop after shop in my area "turn turtle" and die. The folks that owned these shops are good people that share -- and sometimes surpass -- the passion that we share at the Flower Hut. But that alone didn't keep them from failure.

I have cut staff and reduced expenses to the point that when I take a dime out of my pocket, FDR blinks at the light.

I see a business opportunity that is synergistic with my existing business, is honest, ethical, a little bit naughty and satisfies a market need. But I shouldn't pursue it because some folks think it is beneath them?

No WAY!

Of course, I could always pursue my SECRET PASSION: Paint-by-numbers Kama Sutra pictures!

All The Best!

Bill

Jamie... I agree with you... for your store.

Using the search engines, it is easy to see that a thriving market segment exists for Over The Hill products and services. My shop has a couple of products that fit that segment.

In the last 24 months, I have watched shop after shop in my area "turn turtle" and die. The folks that owned these shops are good people that share -- and sometimes surpass -- the passion that we share at the Flower Hut. But that alone didn't keep them from failure.

I have cut staff and reduced expenses to the point that when I take a dime out of my pocket, FDR blinks at the light.

I see a business opportunity that is synergistic with my existing business, is honest, ethical, a little bit naughty and satisfies a market need. But I shouldn't pursue it because some folks think it is beneath them?

No WAY!

Of course, I could always pursue my SECRET PASSION: Paint-by-numbers Kama Sutra pictures!

All The Best!

Bill

Kama sutra only comes with 4 colour numbers.....what would you do with the rest of the day??...:)

Bill,

I have plenty of my own "less than elegant" offerings on my website. I have the Old Buzzard. But I don't expect others to run out trying to gather together the items that I stock in my store. When I sell for something outside of my own delivery area, I always do designer's choice.

I certainly would not have passed up the order because I thought I was above it. I would have passed it up because it would have meant my buying an entire bunch of bb that I don't use plus the wholesaler's delivery charge, plus my having to make a special trip to the grocery store to buy prunes. It IS a big deal for me because I don't shop for groceries. Seriously, I don't.

That's why I said I'd have to have at least $55 PLUS delivery before I would agree to do it. I think it's a clever idea and it's quite possible that I may have to find a prune source!

Linda

I have done the same type of design myself.......and sold it many times.......and NEVER got or heard about an unhappy sender or recipient. Also, have done several other "novelty' designs over the years......some considerably more risque than others......

We are creative, original, designers and artists.......we can always take an idea and make it fit our image, store, reputation, or whatever. How many variations could we come up with using prunes.

For instance..........go to the photo gallery......see the dozen roses section. There is a design using roses and condoms......very cute, very stylish, very fun.

Sorry Ricky- there is nothing stylish about condoms.
Funny- maybe
Safe- maybe

Stylish- never.

Reactions: sandytf
Stylish in the fact that the colors of the roses and the packages match, it is a cube type design, and it does make a statement.

Stylish in the fact that the colors of the roses and the packages match, it is a cube type design, and it does make a statement.

clever statement- yes
funny statement- yes

stylish- no sir-ie bob