Florists’ Wishes for Easy, Affordable Access to Web Images & Recipes Granted!

Gina B Kellogg

Pro Member
Sep 30, 2011
Overland Park
www.hottcornflakes.com
State / Prov
KS
Florists’ Wishes for Easy, Affordable Access to Web Images & Recipes Granted!

Once upon a time, in a land not so very far from here, a forlorn florist sat glumly in front of the design table in her floral shop. A handsome golden vase sat next to a magnificent bouquet of the most exquisite, perfect blooms.

“Oh, how I wish I had a recipe for creating an arrangement with these beautiful flowers that would be perfect every time!” She said to herself. “And if only I had a professional-looking photo of that exact arrangement that I could put on my website to show my customers!”

Glancing at the container, she noticed an array of water spots marring its shiny exterior. She picked it up and began vigorously rubbing at the spots with a cloth. As she polished away the blemishes, she said to herself, “If only I had a floral genie to grant me my wish!”

And, suddenly, POOF! J Schwanke appeared before her!

Okay, okay. So that is NOT the way J came up with the idea to create a gallery of images with related recipes that his company uBloom could offer to florists.

The real story is a bit more, well, mundane than that. Suffice it to say that for a long time, florists had been sending J wishes for images they could use on their websites of designs that incorporated everyday flowers with readily available containers. Those emailed messages became a landslide of requests when uBloom sent an email survey to its members with the question: “Is there anything uBloom could offer you to help you in your professional flower business?”

Eighty-four percent of the respondents asked for website images with detailed recipes.

Thus, the uBloom Image Gallery was born.

To find out more about the project and what it entailed, FlowerChat recently asked J for an interview to get the details. Here’s a summary of that chat:

FLOWERCHAT: Aside from the requests from uBloom members, did you have any other reasons to develop this project?

J SCHWANKE: For 18 years, I created Images for the John Henry Co. I have a great deal of experience creating images and recipes. It's something I'm known for throughout the flower industry. So I wanted to offer an affordable resource to the independent local florist that allows them success that wasn't wire-service-based. Plus, it's part of the mission statement at uBloom to support the local independent florist!

FC: So what exactly does the uBloom Image Gallery comprise?
JS: The uBloom Image Gallery Series 1 includes 25 images with detailed recipes and suggested retail prices. The recipe sheet for each design doubles as a worksheet so the professional florist can create their own prices based on their individual market variances. Each series, available seasonally, will be available in the uBloom Store as a download. The price for the entire series is $20. That's less than a $1 per image, including the recipes. Images are photographed on a white background, in standard square format and are web-ready.

Releasing the series three times a year allows us to work seasonally with content. Plus, the new releases will encourage the professional florist to update their websites about three times a year. It's about putting our best foot forward—together!

FC: Who do you expect will use these images the most or find them most valuable?
JS: Any professional florist with a website! I know it's difficult—florists are VERY BUSY—and the reality of being able to set up a photo studio in their shop and create high-quality images is a challenge. We hope this gives them an affordable resource for professional photos. Florists are the hardest-working people on the planet, and they create amazing flowers. This image gallery is an affordable resource that saves them time and effort.

FC: How did you decide what types of flowers and foliage to use in the designs?
JS: Quality flowers, arranged beautifully, are very important to me, and I represent many leading flower farms. At the same time, I wanted to be sure that the flowers featured were readily available through wholesale florists. Each recipe, then, includes references to the flower/foliage farm, and many times the varietal name, along with quantity used. This makes it easy for florists to work with their local wholesalers to source the same flowers.

We featured a cross-section of flowers from the industry including California-grown flowers from Continental Floral Greens, Gallup & Stribling Orchids, Green Valley Floral, Ocean View Flowers, Resendiz Brothers and Sun Valley Flowers, as well as Florida-fresh clematis from Roseville Farms and Colombian and Ecuadorian flowers from Esprit Miami.

FC: What about plants, containers and accessories?
JS: Each series of images also includes trend-forward plant options, such as succulent gardens, dish gardens and terrariums.

We featured containers from Garcia Group Glass’s G3 (100-percent, post-consumer, recycled glass) FloraGlas (made in the U.S.A.), along with Giftwares Inc.’s glass, ceramics, baskets and moss containers, and SNK mercury glass and metal containers. All ribbon was exclusively from Reliant Ribbon. All hard goods are readily available at leading wholesale florists across the country.

FC: Who gets credit for the designs?
JS: I personally created the arrangements, styled them for the camera and recorded the recipes. Our seasoned, professional flower photographer (DVDP) shot the images for us in the uBloom studios. Series 1 and 2 are on white backgrounds; series 3 (available later this year) will be “lifestyle”-oriented. Those we shot on location on the “Fun with Flowers and J” set. All the images are unique uBloom/J Schwanke creations.

FC: What sorts of images are included in each series?
JS: The uBloom Image Gallery contains seasonal flower arrangements. They are color-based and creatively styled featuring beautiful flowers in easy-to-find containers. These are everyday, easy-to-make, profitably priced arrangements—perfect for professional florists!

Plus, there are some other interesting images included in the series. For example, one of the arrangements is actually illustrated in four images (which count as one of the 25). Each image shows a small, medium and large version of the same design using the same content and increased in size. Then, an additional photo shows all three arrangements side by side. This image is a great reference for your customers because, presently, many florists post three prices with a single arrangement image, which can be confusing to customers. Our image of the three sizes lets the customer see how the different sizes affect the price and content of their purchase.

Additionally in the “Spring Series,” we shot a vase of tulips immediately after arranging and then one day later. The different photos show how tulips grow and change directions. Having lived my entire life in the flower industry and consulted with hundreds of professional florists, I believe there is an opportunity to educate while selling. These kinds of images help our customers understand their flower purchase more fully.

FC: So, the most obvious question—how do florists get the pics?
JS: It's pretty straight-forward. You can purchase the series of 25 images and recipes for $20 online at www.uBloom.com in our store at the beginning of April. They are ready to use in your shopping cart on your website. You can pick and choose which images you want to use. Then, follow the recipe, create a custom price and you're ready to go.

FC: Anything else?
JS: The Independent Floral Network is offering a $5 discount to their members, so their price is even lower!

What are your needs to improve your marketing? Have any tips on how you’ve improved your marketing’s effectiveness? Send your thoughts and questions to [email protected].

Attachments

• UBloom Images Gallery 1.jpg
    UBloom Images Gallery 1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 404
  • UBloom Images Gallery 2.jpg
    UBloom Images Gallery 2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 306
Reactions: retro
Sounds like a great idea. Do you know if we will be able to preview the designs before we order?

Reactions: secretgarden
Thank you J ...!!

This could be the first step to creating a shared image gallery separate from the wires that all/any florist can utilize across North America to standardize long distance orders...

Sweet~!

Discount for FC Members too?? Many of us are not IFN members, nor will we ever be ;)

Reactions: anytimeflowers
Downloaded pictures today....while nice and lush price point is too rich for our customers blood. What are you all thinking about them? For the suggested retail pricing J has put on these designs our customers would be expecting some visually large pieces. Many of the designs are low lush full vase/bowl designs.

While I have not seen the images yet... (will get to that after Easter is done).... I often do designs in a 6" cube that range from $75-100, and that are no more than 12-14 inches high.... likewise, because of increased COGS, we have moved from a 12" tall vase to an 8" for vase designs $50-60... allowing us to create a much fuller, more "lush" design with higher quality (priced) blooms...

In my interview with J, he emphasized that each florist should determine their own price point. (I didn't include the whole interview due to length.) He said the price points he suggests are just that--suggestions; each florist should use the recipes and then determine their own COGs to determine what their price points should be. So don't feel at all obligated to follow the suggested prices. Base yours on what your markets will pay and based on what your costs are in creating each design.

As for being able to review all the designs before download, I don't think so. But he does give a representative sample on his website--shows about eight different designs.

Here's the link to preview and order:
http://ubloom.com/blog/2013/04/01/announcing-ubloom-image-gallery-for-professional-florists/

Downloaded pictures today....while nice and lush price point is too rich for our customers blood. What are you all thinking about them? For the suggested retail pricing J has put on these designs our customers would be expecting some visually large pieces. Many of the designs are low lush full vase/bowl designs.

I agree. I LOVE the idea. But my customers would be expecting something larger for what I'd have to charge for these. J, are you listening???

Reactions: pfmflowermarket
I agree. I LOVE the idea. But my customers would be expecting something larger for what I'd have to charge for these. J, are you listening???

Good feedback, folks. I'm sure [MENTION=1307]jmhs[/MENTION] is listening and gathering all the input for consideration in their next batch of designs. One of the nice things about the batch size and schedule is that they have the freedom to iterate quickly and try different things, all at a nicely affordable price point.

Since the price for the batch of images is $20, let me put forward this challenge: Why not buy the 25 images and put even a few on your website as a test. The best case scenario is that either your customers surprise you, AND/OR you attract a new market segment. The worst case is that you're out $20 which is a small price to invest in testing out your market. You can even use some of the higher priced designs as price anchors on your site to compliment lower cost items and add balance.

I think you'll be surprised how many you can sell!

Good feedback, folks. I'm sure [MENTION=1307]jmhs[/MENTION] is listening and gathering all the input for consideration in their next batch of designs. One of the nice things about the batch size and schedule is that they have the freedom to iterate quickly and try different things, all at a nicely affordable price point.

Since the price for the batch of images is $20, let me put forward this challenge: Why not buy the 25 images and put even a few on your website as a test. The best case scenario is that either your customers surprise you, AND/OR you attract a new market segment. The worst case is that you're out $20 which is a small price to invest in testing out your market. You can even use some of the higher priced designs as price anchors on your site to compliment lower cost items and add balance.

I think you'll be surprised how many you can sell!
So, florists CANNOT take their own photos......"yes"?? Is this a widespread fear of photographing one's own work??

I'd love to know if GQ Public cares if it's really our work or a paint by number, photoshop masterpiece? I personally want to see a "florists" true work but if we think the general population is too disconnected to understand the wire services or "middlemen" why do we think they understand - I can't reproduce that imaginary arrangement. Is it better to have amazing (even if they are not your own) pics on your site?????

So, florists CANNOT take their own photos......"yes"?? Is this a widespread fear of photographing one's own work??

Some cannot. Most will not. Others should not.

And some do a phenomenally great job of it!

We've provided lots of resources, how-tos and even webinars on working with your own images. However, J's collection can be a good supplement for some florists, or aid in a transition for other florists.

Did anyone read his labor figures? 40% of hardgoods & flowers or $2.50 a minute....$2.50 a minute is $150 per hour! Wow.

I too like to eat and have college tuition to pay let alone TRY to fund a retirement account (realistically I will probably die with either a florist knife or a farmers hoe in my hand) :)

So why shouldn't we get paid for our time? There will be items where we don't recoup for the actual time we've spent and other we can wrap up faster then expected, so it's a wash. I will not justify my labor charge to John Q public anymore. I've spent lots of $$ to perfect my craft (and I'm sure J's has spent a lot more) But stop for a minute and figure out what all you need to cover with your labor charge - especially if you are self employed - medical, taxes and on and on.

Shoot my hair dresser gets $15 for a 10 minute hair cut....

I too like to eat and have college tuition to pay let alone TRY to fund a retirement account (realistically I will probably die with either a florist knife or a farmers hoe in my hand) :)

So why shouldn't we get paid for our time? There will be items where we don't recoup for the actual time we've spent and other we can wrap up faster then expected, so it's a wash. I will not justify my labor charge to John Q public anymore. I've spent lots of $$ to perfect my craft (and I'm sure J's has spent a lot more) But stop for a minute and figure out what all you need to cover with your labor charge - especially if you are self employed - medical, taxes and on and on.

Shoot my hair dresser gets $15 for a 10 minute hair cut....

I'm not saying we shouldn't get paid for our labor. I know we NEED to get paid for our time. $150 an hour though? That's more than an accountant or mechanic around here. I'm also not saying that we are beneath these professions.

I'm located in downtown of a small town. We would loose so many customers if we started charging $150 an hour for our services. Not in these days where a customer can go pick up a bouquet at the grocery store or central market florist.

Reactions: KABERS
I'm not saying we shouldn't get paid for our labor. I know we NEED to get paid for our time. $150 an hour though? That's more than an accountant or mechanic around here. I'm also not saying that we are beneath these professions.

I'm located in downtown of a small town. We would loose so many customers if we started charging $150 an hour for our services. Not in these days where a customer can go pick up a bouquet at the grocery store or central market florist.

ME TOO!
but I did the math. If my hair dresser is getting $15 for a 10 minute hair cut = $90/hour. and YES I know she is paying for the spritsy stuff she squirted on my hair and she has to sanitize her equipment between cutting and on and on. BUT GEE, she is just chopping off my hair - that's not rocket science? (snark) :)

I too would have trouble charging J prices, but I think we need to seriously look at what we do charge.

we value our trade too little.

Yes I'm small town and would be closing my doors at $150/hour, BUT we do have reasonable priced loose cut flowers - like what you get at a grocer -for very good prices. But when labor is involved - a different set of figures come into play.

Just remember it isn't just paying the designer for that $150/hour. This isn't covering one person's wages and benefits, this is covering all of the support that goes into that design including clerks, accountant/book-keeper etc. All of the people who make that design happen from processing the flowers on through need to get paid ~ that is what your labor charge SHOULD be paying for.

I don't think that rate is unreasonable. I meant I can do a $400 casket spray in 30 minutes... 30% of $400 is 120.00... or $6.00/minute.

Now take a $50 vase, 20% and 10 minutes... $1.00/minute... it all averages out here...

Warning: Thread Hijack!!

In reading this, I would love to know what others charge. I like [MENTION=81]Kristine[/MENTION] never thought I could charge what I do now or make the money that I'm making now. We've tripled our profits in the last 3 years and the money is NICE. I know $150 per. hour is to much, but I don't think $100 (or $2.00 per. minute) is out of line now. One on the main things we did was to "widdle" out the non-profitable sales (which we all have), implement marketing to the affluent and now base ALL decisions on profit, not the sale. Example: Wedding this week has $900 pure profit in wedding after mark-ups. On all weddings we charge a "knowledge" charge (used in the Uk alot). When told, you are higher than the store down the street, I (we) do a very good job at explaning that we are very different than the store down the street and really can't be thrown into the same barrell.

Standard labor charge:
$5 - $75 (30%)
$76 - $150 (25%)
$151 - $250 (20%)
Weddings: 40% plus 5% "knowledge charge" and possibly a PIA fee of another 5%.

Hard goods:
Under $5 my cost (X 3)
$5.01 - $10 my cost (x 2.5)
$10.01 - $25 my cost (x 2.0)
Over $25 my cost (x 1.5)

Fresh flowers: If moved every 72 hours, longer hold higher percentage
Under $2 per. stem (3.5)
$2 - $5 per. stem (3.00)
$5 - $10 per. stem (2.50)
Over $10 (2.00)

Thanks.......

Just remember it isn't just paying the designer for that $150/hour. This isn't covering one person's wages and benefits, this is covering all of the support that goes into that design including clerks, accountant/book-keeper etc. All of the people who make that design happen from processing the flowers on through need to get paid ~ that is what your labor charge SHOULD be paying for.

Thank you, Linda!

It's really crucial to differentiate between the labour charge a business bills and the rate paid to an employee. My mechanic's team don't actually get paid the $95/hr he charges. But they have training costs, safety certifications, various consumables, health coverage, and numerous operational costs to cover.

Ten years ago I saw a Hitomi presentation where she mentioned charging $400/hr for labour in her store.

Most SEOs (incl Strider) bill out at $200/hr for smaller jobs (much less for larger projects), but me (and my 10 yr old Honda) can tell you I'm not getting paid that much. :)

Your labour factor has to cover much more than just the hourly rate paid to the staffer.