FTD, Batesville, SCI and bypassing the florists

ROBSWF

Nov 6, 2004
Indianapolis
www.oberers.com
State / Prov
Indiana
Well not that this is something all that new, but it's information nonetheless.

Attached are two add's from SCI seeking help building their floral funeral departments of course with all the help FTD can offer.

It's clear to me that FTD is willing to help anyone bypass traditional florists, but the strange part to me is that FTD has very little to gain here since SCI is building a LFC model with producing their own funeral work by employing floral designers.

Some of you may ask why I mentioned Batesville in the headline.

One question comes to my mind is, does FTD plan on helping SCI build their LFC concept by sending incoming funeral orders to SCI for fulfillment?

Boy oh boy, it sure looks to me like FTD has their hand in the kettle of funeral orders, and possibly planning on steering funeral orders from the new Batesville partnership website florists to funeral LFC centers that will be popping up all over the map.

Hmmmm, could it be? Of course this is all just my opinion, but things sure do look like this stuff is beginning to sound like a quacking duck!

Read for yourself..............

Product Manager

Floral Product Manager

Be part of something new!

Service Corporation International has an exciting new career opportunity in our Corporate Office in Houston, TX.

Summary:

Manages all aspects of the floral program including analysis, planning, design, testing and implementation.@Utilizes all sales channels including True At-Need (TAN), Pre-Arranged Funeral (PAF), Pre-Need (PN) to At Need (AN), Friends and Families and the Dignity Memorial websites to increase incremental revenue from the sale of flowers.

Responsibilities:
Researches, identifies and recommends appropriate products and services (flowers, gift baskets, tributes, etc.).

Leads, conducts and coordinates opinion-setting activities for products, services and displays.

Tests new products and services under loosely controlled settings and tightly controlled time frames.

Maps logistics and invoicing processes.

Plans, organizes, integrates and communicates new funeral products for the Dignity network.

Forecasts and reports progress and revenue to a variety of management levels.

Creates project plans, identifies priorities and deadlines and coordinates across functional groups (Pricing, Analytics, SCM, Marketing, Legal, Operations, Sales and Vendors).

Coordinates, communicates and manages project plans, schedules, timelines and calendars.

Works with FTD to create, publish and maintain a library of pictures, diagrams, procedures and checklists.

Liaisons with FTD (our primary funeral partner.)

Level-headedness to lead multiple projects simultaneously and deal with ambiguity and uncertainty.

Capable of managing to a deadline and solving problems on the go

A positive attitude and work ethic that motivates others
Ability to create diagrams, time-tables, instructions, checklists and illustrations

Proficient with Excel, Work, PowerPoint, Visio, Photoshop and MS Project

Floral Designer
We are currently seeking a full time floral designer.@ This is a permanent position with benefits and 401k.

Applicants must posses the following:

3 to 5 years floral shop and design experience

Ability to produce a variety of arrangements in a fast paced environment

Detail oriented

Positive attitude and work well with others

Job Requirements:

Division/Department : Service Corporation International

Service Corporation International (SCI) is headquartered in Houston, Texas. We have more than 1,800 locations in 44 states, eight Canadian provinces, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico generating approximately $1.7 billion in revenue. The company's stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol SCI.
For more information, please visit our corporate web site at www.sci-corp.com.@ Additional information on SCI's

I wonder what Batesville's independent funeral homes would think about Batesville setting them up on a blind date (so to speak) with SCI and FTD.

Oh boy what a threesome!
Imagine that!

While you continue to digest the above also consider this.

SCI is hiring for a full time Department head, and FTD is hiring for a newly created position on the FTD side of the fence.

Here is what FTD has posted-

Floral Program Manager
FTD, Inc

Employee Type: Full-Time
Industry: Retail
Manages Others: No
Job Type: Marketing

Ref ID: FPM KW
Description
Floral Program Manager

Purpose of Position
As the floral program manager, you will lead all aspects of the nationwide floral program from our funeral partner’s location in Houston, TX. This includes technical projects and releases from initiation through implementation including phases such as planning, analysis, design, development, testing and implementation. You will establish and manage project schedules, priorities and deadlines; coordinate resources across functional groups such as marketing, sales, business analysts, developers and test analysts, across one or more projects together with our partner company. Manage budget for assigned projects, monitor project progress and adjust resources and priorities accordingly. Provide project status targeted to varied levels of management. Promote cooperation across the project teams inter-company.

Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.

Relationship Management – Act as primary liaison from FTD with SCI / Dignity Memorial. Build a sustainable and profitable partnership by maintaining, improving and enhancing all relationships through effective management and relationship building.

Project Management – Manage the planning, scheduling and execution of the national floral program on time, on target and on budget through effective planning, logistics and implementation. Includes coordination and oversight of program financials, including order and expense forecasting, account reconciliations and creative deliverables.

Presentation and Communication – Responsible for attending partner and location meetings, leading internal project status meetings, and delivering oral and written presentations. Professional communication is critical for development of strong and lasting partner relationship and overall program success.

Leadership – Communicate program activities and results to all stakeholders. Direct all team efforts around defined initiatives and provide direction and leadership to all members of inside staff. Must be able to easily collaborate with others to obtain input and achieve superior results.

Additional Responsibilities Include:
· Preparation of weekly, monthly and quarterly status reports
· Creation and management of process flow documents
· Strategic thinking and planning
· Ability to take initiative and ownership of programs and relationships
· Solid decision making ability
· Close collaboration with cross-functional and partner teams to ensure program success and growth
· 20-30% travel required

I wonder.... Hmmmm...

Why would SCI need a designer???...Maybe they're going to make the flowers and deliver them with the casket right to the funeral homes... now that could have profit potential...

The FTD links on the Batesville sites are now LIVE.

I was stunned to see a local funeral home - who has a florist with a leased site at their location - with a link to the FTD program. There's a small link on the right navigation to 'Local Florists' with a mention of that company on a separate page... and a BIG graphic link to FTD ("Send Flowers") on the main 'Expressions of Sympathy' page.

The weirdest thing about the FTD sites is that the 'arrangements for the service' include add-on offers for balloons, teddy bears and chocolates. Really? Really. FTD has apparently made an agreement with someone local here since the delivery date of Sunday, Jan. 2 was available on all products.

I spent part of the day deleting links to any FH with a Batesville hosted site. No sense sending visitors to a site that will send them on to FTD.

yes, our local funeral home is now powered by Batesville but on checking the "send flowers" link, it still (at this time) goes to the page with the local flowershops. Mine being the only one with a web presence.

Here is a link I found that has the FTD flowers. Prices seem on the high side. FTD seems to have 2 extremes. Order 6 hours in advance could help the local florist that can turn deliveries around sooner.
I don't follow if the SCI funeral homes are part of this deal. Here is a local Boston Funeral home with no mention of FTD. Says Dignity
Memorial. List this on the bottom A Service Family Affiliate of AFFS and Service Corporation International, 206 Winter Street, Fall River, MA 02720. (508) 676-2454.

Reactions: Rhonda
Notice the "Local Florists" page... great...(like my funeral director ) but the "Send Flowers" may put someone where they really don't want to go... Notice my FD's site so far has only local florists listed.. even under the "Send Flowers" page..

Reactions: CHR
The weirdest thing about the FTD sites is that the 'arrangements for the service' include add-on offers for balloons, teddy bears and chocolates. Really? Really.
Yes.... really..... it's bout the dollars and the sale not the ethics and the proper thing to do for a grieving family....

Flowers in a box... Bon Voyage balloons.... a box of chocolates....

Any florist willingly filling these order... should think again...

Notice the "Local Florists" page... great...(like my funeral director ) but the "Send Flowers" may put someone where they really don't want to go... Notice my FD's site so far has only local florists listed.. even under the "Send Flowers" page..

The send flower image is the same on your funeral directors site and the example I posted with the FTD logo missing on your funeral directors site. I wonder if the local funeral home has a choice to participate?

Rhonda - your local FH is an example of a mortuary staying committed to keeping their dollars local. So it IS possible for a Batesville hosted FH site to decline participation in the FTD program.

I wonder if the FTD program is an 'opt out' rather than a 'join in'? Based on FTDs past deeds, my guess is it's an 'opt out' and perhaps some of the FHs haven't noticed the new links?

Reactions: anytimeflowers
I'll ask Chip and Mike what they did. I know I've discussed their change of website with them a while ago... will follow up on it again.

Reactions: anytimeflowers
Just spoke with the FD and YES, they instituted the fact that the Expressions of Sympathy link would show LOCAL florists... no links to FTD on their site. And, they are very unhappy with this rollover from webfh to batesville and are looking for a different hosting...
I guess it's up to the local florists to express dismay with funeral directors who give a crap and wish to utilize their local florists... or maybe they just didn't pay attention???

I called one of the local mortuaries with an FTD link on their site yesterday. Asked if he noticed the link had been added. He said he heard about the program but hadn't paid attention to the page. He confirmed the FTD program was an 'opt-out' for Batesville hosted sites and not an 'add-in'.

Told him the link would siphon orders from the shop located right on his property. "FTD is the SCI of the flower business. If you guys are proud to be local and independent, why are you sending traffic to a company thousands of miles away instead of to the florist in your back yard?" Told him the link to FTD could be replaced with one to his local florist page.

The shop on their property is small but the owner is a decent designer and has been leasing the space from them for at least 20 years. He supports community activities and is an overall good guy.

I could tell that the guy from the mortuary hadn't given much thought to the FTD program or how it could impact that local florist. Undoubtedly, it's the case at numerous other FHs. Time for florists to pick up the phone or stop in to do a little bit of PR and education.

I ran into this new addition to my local funeral directors website in Dec around Christmas time. I called my director and talked to him explaining what had happened and how FTD was not helping us, the financial break down and the fact that customers of his who looked for a local florist would be easily tricked into placing an order the way that the button was placed to direct to FTD. My director immediately changed it so now when they click on the button it directs them to the Local florists contact and web site info. I let him know I appreciated that immensely and sent him a beautiful arrangement for the Holidays as a Thank You....just saying .....call your local directors they may be sympathetic to our situation.