FTD Brand Protection

pdxdoug

Dec 29, 2009
Portland
State / Prov
OR
A couple days ago I received a very polite email from the 'Brand Protection' office at FTD, informing me that I showed up on Google bidding on 'FTD flowers'. They attached a screenshot that did indeed show my ad on a search.
broadwayfloral copy.jpg

I promptly replied to my knowledge I had not used that term but would look into my campaign. I added that I was an FTD member and was told that the only keywords/phrases I was allowed to bid on were ftd florist, ftd florists, ftd florist online or ftd florists online.

I don't advertise that I'm an FTD member, their logo isn't on my door and hasn't been for the last 25 years. We use them to send out of convenience.

Anyway, after a day delay, I finally confirmed that I had not used ftd flowers as a keyword. I sent screenshots back to the FTD Brand Protection office showing my campaign and my keywords: flowers, delivery, florist, Portland.

This morning was a reply from FTD informing me I would have to do 'negative' matches in adwords.

WTF?? Why would I have to specifically exclude FTD from any match for generic words that any of us would use in an adwords campaign? This is a google placement issue, not my problem.

I did a google search for Broadway Floral Portland and their d**m ad appeared.
ftd-com on broadway search.jpg

I told them it was a google issue and I'm going to see what they have to say, but I'm not in any mood to deal with them. :mad:

Doug

Uhmmmmmm..................As the economy gets worse, we will see "turf" wars like crazy. I agree, it's a "google" problem.........and I would call my rep. and say "here's something for you to do"......................

Reactions: pdxdoug
Ah yes, as florist heads come out of the sand and they start actually putting money toward internet marketing, i am sure you will find truf wars, the last 12 years or so of nearly zero competition just won't be enough for them...now couple that with memebrs dropping off like flies, hells yeah they will be restricting things...and Linda is right, just more glaringly obvious reasons to go it alone, these companies are not for us at all like they all say they are they are only for themselves, well they better watch what they wish for someday it all may come true!!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

How about one of the FTD dOGs advertising AS a florist located in many of our cities - when they're in NJ.

Fullerton-Florist-All-Ameri.jpg

Click here to see the original page.

It's hard for me to believe they'll actually try and enforce search terms against dues-paying members of FTD. This one is really worthy of a blog post.....

Go get em' Cathy....

Reactions: anytimeflowers
BTW - Here's a description of Google's current policy about using trademarks and/or showing up in trademark searches. This issue has been litigated many times, and each time, the US courts have ruled for Google.

My guess is FTD wants to advertise for the term as cheaply as possible, and with no other bidders, they'll get it.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, but maybe somebody thought they could eliminate competition by pretending that they have some sort of power over what Google Adwords feels is relevant to the consumer.

Maybe I'll get one soon too... I hope so. (oh, and the other 40 people that show up here)

ftd flowers - Google Search.png

Actually, I am no lawyer, but FTD may have crossed a line legally.

This morning was a reply from FTD informing me I would have to do 'negative' matches in adwords.
I think Google would be VERY interested to hear about a big brand like FTD trying to manipulate the AdWords network for their own gain. You'll notice that in most searches, there are only a few people that come up.

And, @@@@ rights I am going to advertise when someone searches for "FTD Flowers in Winnipeg".

Guess who comes up for my business name... FTD and one of their Affiliates (Jerks)

dragonfly flowers winnipeg - Google Search.png

Anybody from SAF want to chime in?

I understand desperation to keep the money coming in, believe me, I do.

But if that were, say Bloomnet e-mailing me, I would be laughing my tail off as I first contacted my state rep. and then google, and then my attorney.

I would also consider contacting SAF but apparently the type of deceptive or negative advertising they go after is somebody like Doug. All right, that was unfair, I'm just trying to open some eyes.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

How about one of the FTD dOGs advertising AS a florist locate in many of our cities - when they're in NJ.

View attachment 13453

Click here to see the original page.

It's hard for me to believe they're actually try and enforce search terms against dues-paying members of FTD. This one is really worthy of a blog post.....

Most definitely, I think I just may do a blog post as well. In fact, maybe everybody should since blog posts show up so well in google searches.

Now.....in a blog post that google will surly archive, how many times should we mention FTD? Or do you think the FTD police will show up? Would that be endangering their brand?

I'm sorry, I find my last sentence so horribly funny. What can we do to their brand that they have not done?

Here's the thing about FTDs stance....

They CAN control the advertising keywords used by their affiliates - and threaten them with removal from the network -if it's part of their user/licensing agreement... it'd be a good idea to check the most recent version of the agreement.

They don't have a leg to stand on if they send that letter to non-FTD members.

Here's FTDs Affiliate policy: Seen on this page under the View the FTD.com payment structure and terms link.
FTD Trademark Policy and Search Bidding Restrictions

Affiliates may not use any marks of FTD and FTD.COM as:

a. Hidden metatext, including keywords, content descriptors, and titles;

b. As search engine keywords or index identifiers;

c. As a wallpaper; or

d. In any type of coding which biases search engines.

FTD.COM prohibits all Affiliates from bidding on Florist Transworld Delivery Inc.’s trademarks including but not limited to the word marks/brand names “FTD”, “FTD.COM”, FTD, ftd, FTD Flowers, FTD.COM, WWW.FTD and WWW.FTD.COM including any misspellings, or any substantially similar variations thereof for any reason, including but not limited to search engine positioning or any of the aforementioned activity listed above. To be clear this prohibition also includes use of any of the foregoing marks, any of brand names or variations in the display URL.

As an FTD Affiliate you have agreed to abide by the trademark and search bidding restrictions. If we discover that you are bidding on the trademarked name or URL, or violating the Agreement in any way, you will be notified promptly and are required to correct such violation immediately. If your violation is not corrected within 24 hours of being notified we will notify Performics to reverse all of your unpaid commissions as liquidated damages for such violation and you will be terminated from FTD.COM Affiliate program. If you correct such initial violation within 24 hours but are notified subsequently of additional violations you will be subject to the aforementioned termination and reversal of unpaid commissions due you.

Affiliates may not put any banner or frame over the FTD.COM web site.

Affiliate may only use the approved FTD.COM logo or FTD.COM in printed form no larger than 1" by 2", once on each web page without the prior written consent of an authorized representative of FTD.COM.

Affiliates may not use or register FTD.COM as part of an email address, domain name, trade name, company name, user name, or phone listing.

Affiliates may not refer to the "FTD.COM Flower Shop" or that the link will connect you with "a local FTD.COM Florist."

Non-FTD Florists may not be FTD.COM Performics Affiliates. You agree you are not a retail florist.

Affiliates will not list any of FTD.COM's branded products or feature images of FTD.COM's branded products on their web sites without the prior written consent of an authorized representative of FTD.COM.

Affiliates will not use the FTD.COM logo in any manner to suggest the Affiliates is FTD.COM, FTD.COM, or an FTD.COM Florist

Affiliate will not promote any creative or offers not provided by Performics without the consent of FTD.COM. Affiliate also agrees to remove offers and creative at the request of FTD.COM.

FTD.COM reserves the right to change any affiliate’s commission structure at their sole discretion but will provide written notice before doing so.

QUALTITY STANDARDS IN LICENSING AND USE OF FTD MARKS.
1. Distribution Partner shall use the marks only as provided in this Agreement.
2. Distribution Partner agrees that FTD controls the nature and quality (“standards”) of all usage of the marks, including but not limited to advertising, and Distribution Partner shall not use the marks in any other manner, including advertising, to which FTD objects as not meeting standards.
3. Distribution Partner does not seek any proprietary right, title or interest in FTD’s trade name and service marks or trademarks and acknowledges that this Agreement will not confer any interest in FTD’s service marks or trademarks in it, other than the right to use them solely for the promotion of the links to the Mirrored Site, to comply with applicable law, or as specified in this Agreement.
4. Distribution Partner acknowledges that it does not have the right to license the use of FTD’s tradename, service marks, or trademarks or any rights contained in this Agreement, except upon FTD’s prior written consent.
5. Distribution Partner agrees that on termination of this Agreement, for any reason, Distribution Partner shall forever discontinue and refrain from using or referring to FTD’s tradename, service marks and trademarks.
6. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, unless specifically authorized herein, the display of FTD’s logos, trademarks, names or other branding or any use of FTD’s content shall be subject to FTD’s absolute discretion and prior written approval in each instance. If the Distribution Partner’s use of the FTD marks does not conform to FTD’s quality standards in FTD’s sole discretion, then FTD shall notify the Distribution Partner of such nonconformance, and the Distribution Partner shall have five days to cure such nonconformance. If the nonconformance is not cured within such period, FTD may immediately terminate the sublicense to use the marks in connection with the non-conforming use.
FTD .COM Inc is a wholly owned subsidiary of Florists’ Transworld Delivery Inc. (“FTD”). FTD is the sole owner of the marks “FTD.COM”, and “FTD” and the Mercury man emblem, and all intellectual property containing the marks (collectively, “marks”). FTD hereby consents to the grant in its behalf by Performics Inc (“Performics”) to Distribution Partner of a non-exclusive, limited and revocable license to use, publish and display the marks solely for purposes of and within the confines of this insertion order and Ts &Cs between Performics and Distribution Partner subject to Distribution Partner’s agreement to abide by the foregoing FTD quality standards and trademark policies which are made a part of this insertion order. In the event that the Distribution Partner fails to comply with such trademark policy and/or quality standards or any of its obligations to Performics under its affiliate agreement and T's and C's in conjunction therewith, FTD reserves the right to withhold payment to Performics for any Distribution Partner who fails to abide by such policies, standards or obligations and not resume payment until such time as the defaulting Distribution Partner has remedied such default in it s obligations.. The foregoing rights reserved by FTD ( Marketer) are not exclusive of any other legal rights or remedies FTD.COM (Marketer) may have in law or equity.
HTH

Thanks, CHR. So they prevent their affiliates - but even there I don't see a mandatory negative match on brand terms.

My keywords and ad text had no reference to FTD, so there's no way I'm going to change anything. FTD is a competitor as evidenced but their appearance on a google specific search for my shop.

Had I been in violation of their policies it would have been one thing, but to think they can just tell me add negative keywords because I popped up on a search is infuriating. They have stepped over the line with this request. The sad thing is I'm sure I'm not the first that Brand Protection has bullied.

Maybe FTD's next Trademark and Search Bidding Policy will be clearer:
Member stops are prohibited from using the following keywords:flowers, florist, delivery or the member shop city.

And you can't say anything bad about us! Ever.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Doug

Why the hell would you???

FTD said:
Affiliate may only use the approved FTD.COM logo or FTD.COM in printed form no larger than 1" by 2", once on each web page without the prior written consent of an authorized representative of FTD.COM.

Affiliates may not use or register FTD.COM as part of an email address, domain name, trade name, company name, user name, or phone listing.

Affiliates may not refer to the "FTD.COM Flower Shop" or that the link will connect you with "a local FTD.COM Florist."

Why the hell would you want to?

Although, I did have a local competitor put FTD.COM in a newspaper wedding insert ad... :rofl: