FTD is....

BOSS

FlowerChat Administrator
Oct 31, 2002
Midland
www.smithsflowers.com
State / Prov
MI
Hmm.. ya know, I was going to run out another rant about all the new things FTD is throwing out there right before Mothers Day, like the new Mercury X3 with it's mobile APP(good way to sell upgrades to Mercury X and X2), the new Delivery Confirmation mobile app due May 1, the new test order process, where they are taking digital images (we all know how well some of those look) on days 1,3,5 and 7 by hired "secret shoppers"... the "New Co-Branding Program"... and the "meeting customer expectations" (rejections, etc) stuff Apatoff ran on about all in an effort to get you to help yourself (while really helping FTD.com) ....but...

As I started, the overwhelming feeling of " 'eh, so what" came over me, and I thought to myself, the members get what they deserve, well not really cuz ya don't get the bucks, but in a sick way, they do get what they deserve...

I'll shut up now.....(temporarily)

Hmm.. ya know, I was going to run out another rant about all the new things FTD is throwing out there right before Mothers Day, like the new Mercury X3 with it's mobile APP(good way to sell upgrades to Mercury X and X2), the new Delivery Confirmation mobile app due May 1, the new test order process, where they are taking digital images (we all know how well some of those look) on days 1,3,5 and 7 by hired "secret shoppers"... the "New Co-Branding Program"... and the "meeting customer expectations" (rejections, etc) stuff Apatoff ran on about all in an effort to get you to help yourself (while really helping FTD.com) ....but...

As I started, the overwhelming feeling of " 'eh, so what" came over me, and I thought to myself, the members get what they deserve, well not really cuz ya don't get the bucks, but in a sick way, they do get what they deserve...

I'll shut up now.....(temporarily)

OK, time's up, I hope you can face the REAL TRUTH, that FTD is "dying" and it's too late for chemo.....

Reactions: BOSS
OK, time's up, I hope you can face the REAL TRUTH, that FTD is "dying" and it's too late for chemo.....

They are on a full dose right now and it's not helping.......................I think they will be the first to sell/or squirm somehow, then..............who knows

Yeah well TF can pretty much suck it too.

I'm so pissed at TF right now.

The thing that sucks is TF has such great education classes and shows that don't cost a fortune to attend.
I have a total love/hate feeling about them.

Reactions: lori042499
FTD is.......well, in MY shop, an overwhelming number of people ask me if I have FDS.....lol

(for those who don't know, that is a feminine hygiene product)

In all seriousness, I am shocked that FTD has made so many blunders in such a short period of time. Very public blunders. A year ago I was quite sure Bloomnet would be gone or going away, with FTD following. Now I would not be surprised to hear that there was going to be some sort of merger between the two. FTD has built such a business on the direct shipping that this could be another facet. Just thinking out loud.

just an FYI, our northeast rep is gone and they tried to hire an old TF rep to the tune of 6 figures (he told them no, he read the rules and regulations posted here a few days ago about the requirements and said "I won't lie to people no matter how much they pay me" and his wife agreed)

When you go to their homepage you actually have to scroll down to get to the florist delivered arrangements. Everything "above the fold" is drop ship. How can they tell florists with a straight face that they are there to send them orders. Their entire website, yes even the sympathy section, offers direct ship via UPS and FedEx. How does this generate florist orders? They will either drop the florist all together and become another ProFlowers or all the florists will drop them and they will have no choice but to drop ship everything. It's funny Ebay even frowns on drop shippers.... and that is a resale outlet that lets you sell cornflakes in the shape of The Virgin Mary or whatnot.

FTD is.......well, in MY shop, an overwhelming number of people ask me if I have FDS.....lol

(for those who don't know, that is a feminine hygiene product)

In all seriousness, I am shocked that FTD has made so many blunders in such a short period of time. Very public blunders. A year ago I was quite sure Bloomnet would be gone or going away, with FTD following. Now I would not be surprised to hear that there was going to be some sort of merger between the two. FTD has built such a business on the direct shipping that this could be another facet. Just thinking out loud.

it's getting so that referring to "FDS" may be the safer route.....

it's getting so that referring to "FDS" may be the safer route.....

FDS would definately make the rotten stench of FTD smell better....

Shannon, I am fully with you on your statement, but you don't need to be a tf memebr to go see the shows, nit sure about the classes on OKC

Reactions: shannonlovesflowers

Shannon, I am fully with you on your statement, but you don't need to be a tf memebr to go see the shows, nit sure about the classes on OKC

never before, have I had SO many customers ask "what the heck is an FTD??"......that alone, means that FTD is on it's way out.....maybe the company needs to be on the Shopping Channel

Something about my shop must be different. FTD seems like the safest WS on the market right now. I assume that TF will be the first to go because they don't have a major OG. I get 5 times the FTD orders that I get from TF, and 2/3 of the FTD orders I get are from FTD.com. I think that what will happen is enough shops will leave FTD to make it profittable to fill for the few that remain. We have 14 FTD shops serving Chattanooga right now. If half of those shops quit then I could just hire minimum wage workers to do nothing but fill FTD.com orders and make a mint! The fees will drop back down at some point, and FTD.com will drive orders into the medium/major cities and the small/rural areas won't have anyone to fill.

They are also going to focus on drop shipping, and the shipping technology is getting better every year. I know that the idea of drop shipping flowers makes our skin crawl. However, I talk to consumers all the time that are perfectly happy with Proflowers, and have been using them for years. I get them to convert by explaining I can save the $24.95 shipping fee.

Yes our arrangements are head and shoulders above anything Proflowers can deliver, but happy customers simply don't shop around

When you go to their homepage you actually have to scroll down to get to the florist delivered arrangements. Everything "above the fold" is drop ship. How can they tell florists with a straight face that they are there to send them orders. Their entire website, yes even the sympathy section, offers direct ship via UPS and FedEx. How does this generate florist orders? They will either drop the florist all together and become another ProFlowers or all the florists will drop them and they will have no choice but to drop ship everything. It's funny Ebay even frowns on drop shippers.... and that is a resale outlet that lets you sell cornflakes in the shape of The Virgin Mary or whatnot.

FWIW, FTD has reported that florist-filled orders this past v-day were up 24% in 2011 vs 2010, and up 17% in 2010 vs 2009. Around 70% of FTD company orders are filled by florists, double what they sent to florists before United bought FTD.

One has to wonder why they emphasize drop-ship so much, when 70% of their orders go to florists. Are customers really preferring drop ship or are they choosing it because that's what's there?

.........One has to wonder why they emphasize drop-ship so much, when 70% of their orders go to florists. Are customers really preferring drop ship or are they choosing it because that's what's there?

You are exactly right! Customers during checkout we're asked questions as to why they bought and most bought becasue it's what they saw (not really what they want). Delivery followed that and then price. On FTD sight for MD you have to go down 2/3 page to find florists delivered. I wonder also Ryan...................

FTD seems like the safest WS on the market right now. I assume that TF will be the first to go because they don't have a major OG. I get 5 times the FTD orders that I get from TF, and 2/3 of the FTD orders I get are from FTD.com. I think that what will happen is enough shops will leave FTD to make it profittable to fill for the few that remain. We have 14 FTD shops serving Chattanooga right now. If half of those shops quit then I could just hire minimum wage workers to do nothing but fill FTD.com orders and make a mint! The fees will drop back down at some point, and FTD.com will drive orders into the medium/major cities and the small/rural areas won't have anyone to fill.
Jamie, I think your wrong on this, membership will increase as members leave, FTD will be required to raise it to keep margins as they are for the stockholders. Fewer members means collecting more $$ per member. Also, the volume via FTD.com means fewer florist to florist orders.

Lastly, I DO believe that Teleflora will be the last wire service standing...they are the least of the evils...

FWIW, FTD has reported that florist-filled orders this past v-day were up 24% in 2011 vs 2010, and up 17% in 2010 vs 2009. Around 70% of FTD company orders are filled by florists, double what they sent to florists before United bought FTD.
And they had 100,000++ orders go unfilled for VD too.... ;)

.............Lastly, I DO believe that Teleflora will be the last wire service standing...they are the least of the evils...

And they had 100,000++ orders go unfilled for VD too.... ;)

Ouch, that hurts any company. That rap hurts us all. You really think Heleflora will be the last to stand? Don't know........

You really think Heleflora will be the last to stand? Don't know........
Yep, I do... in the long run, and that might be a very long run...

As more florists get discouraged (disgusted) they will get down to one wire service, and right now, TF looks like the most florist friendly based on their housecleaning of FromYouFlowers, and now Pink Lotus?Blossom, although they are still dealing with Kay's Flowers, Bellaire TX among others. More florists will migrate to independent technology and web sites making those non-issues in choosing a wire service. There's more to it, but lunch is over...

800Flowers will always be around, although I'm not entirely sure BloomNet will continue to be viable, except for gathered orders.

Reactions: bootcampguy

One has to wonder why they emphasize drop-ship so much, when 70% of their orders go to florists. Are customers really preferring drop ship or are they choosing it because that's what's there?

FTD reporting florist-filled orders up 2011 vs. 2010 must also take into account that V-day fell on Sunday in 2010 and for the 2010 vs. 2009 reported increase, some was surely due to the dire economic news in Q1 2009 with monthly un-employment figures headline news. And order volume is a far cry from order value: I imagine that even if the increase in volume was strong for FTD, I doubt $ surge as high.

As for the emphasis on drop-ship, that's where they make their margin %. Right now they are selling "Rush of Color", 15 tulips + vase for a discounted US$29.99 ++. Their product cost must be around US$4.50 before the cost of packaging. Pumping-up the gross margin % for the Boardroom sure helps all those egos.

Yeah well TF can pretty much suck it too.

I'm so pissed at TF right now.

The thing that sucks is TF has such great education classes and shows that don't cost a fortune to attend.
I have a total love/hate feeling about them.
Have you changed your mind about being a wireservice? I know you can attend the shows offered by Teleflora and only have to pay 20.00 or so more than if your a Teleflora shop. Way cheaper than being a member... I don't know about their education center in OKC.

Once they get a crunch to find florists to FILL orders the price for fillers will drop. For now, there are still tons more fillers than OGs, and the internet market is a resource that traditional B&M florists like us aren't really taking advantage of. The pressure is still finding shops/sites to SEND orders. So they are charging more to the sector that they need to least(us). FTD will change drastically. Their stock will do whatever it is going to do, but when they reach a point where they need incentives to get filling shops, the price will drop for fillers. Florists are starting to leave, but there are plenty in the most demanding areas.

Anybody can take the classes as well as attend the shows- It just costs more.