Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmitc

Jan 28, 2008
Jackson
State / Prov
MS
I am very new at this and am hoping to find support from this forum as I get my business off the ground. I just started a home-based floral design business in Mississippi, Meredith's Flowers. I'm very excited about this new venture and look forward to speaking with you and learning all about the industry. Can't wait!!!

I am very new at this and am hoping to find support from this forum as I get my business off the ground. I just started a home-based floral design business in Mississippi, Meredith's Flowers. I'm very excited about this new venture and look forward to speaking with you and learning all about the industry. Can't wait!!!

Hi,
Welcome to flowerchat..Just wondering, do you have previous floral experience? Do you have a legal business zoned to be within your home? Have you taken any floral designe classes?

Yes, I do have a legal business zoned within my home. You can look up my place of business on Mississippi's secretary of state website (Meredith's Flowers).
Also, I do have some previous experience in floral design. I took a class at MSU and other floral design classes around my hometown. This summer I will take a week long course at MSU so I can continue to develop my skills. I've done floral arrangements for engagement parties, tailgates, etc.

Thanks for the welcome!!!

Yes, I do have a legal business zoned within my home. You can look up my place of business on Mississippi's secretary of state website (Meredith's Flowers).
Also, I do have some previous experience in floral design. I took a class at MSU and other floral design classes around my hometown. This summer I will take a week long course at MSU so I can continue to develop my skills. I've done floral arrangements for engagement parties, tailgates, etc.

Thanks for the welcome!!!

Are you looking to be just an event florist or an everyday florist??

Tailgates??
Flowers for tailgating parties?? I'll have to try that at the September race at Loudon !! Ah I forget, Mississippi is a big football state too...
Does MS have restrictions on "florists" or "flower shops" like Louisianna does?
Meaning there must be some sort of test required to open a florist business?
(how come I can't spell Louisiana? doesn't look right either way)
Welcome lots to read here !!

Ah yes! Tailgates are sooo much fun. At the Grove in Oxford, Mississippi people really go all out. People bring out huge floral centerpieces, candelabras, chandeliers, etc. It's really a sight!

We started our business 20 years ago as a home based business. I think that some of our most profitable years were when our business operated from our home. We took a lot of verbal hits from competitors in those years (many of which are no longer in business). We sought out corporate business. They didn't care where we operated from. It was the quality of the service and the design ability that mattered most to them. In the end we decided that we needed to be able to walk away from work at the end of the day (what an illusion!) so we sought out a retail location. Best of luck and enjoy FC. There's lots to learn from those on this forum.
Ian

Reactions: 1 person
Ian, when I took over this shop, it was in an attached two rooms to my home. When my kids were 4 & 7 and they couldn't go out and play on nice nights or weekends because the door had to be locked to keep people from coming in, I decided to look for downtown space. I too needed to be away from the phone. I could have saved a bunch of money but the walk in usually makes up for the rent charges, walk in I would never have now at home due to residential area.
There are days (now that the kids are grown) that I wonder if I should move back home, fill orders for 800flowers, and not have to go far. BUT I now have grandkids ages 3 & 9 and they love to come to Nanny's and play after supper and weekends.
Nope, I'll keep my commercial rent as long as it pays for itself.

I will jump in here...

First welcome. Second, where do you see yourself and your business in five years time?

V

Meredith,
Welcome to flowerchat. While I think the majority of florists here are retail oriented, with a storefront, there are also several studio florists whose primary focus seems to be event based. Is this what you consider your niche?

Also, do you have a floral cooler for your flowers?

tracy

I'm sure some questions may seem invasive, but they are an important element to becoming a full-fledged member of Flowerchat.

Is your business registered and do you pay business taxes?

V

I do undertand everyone's concern so here is the story:I went to a University and received a degree in marketing and then went on to get my MBA. While I was at the University I did take a floral design class. Anyway, after I graduated I landed a great job in marketing with great pay. I got married shortly after that and I hated my wedding because of my florist. I shutter to think how bad the flowers were haha. She actually showed my what she was going to design and she didn't do it at all and the flowers were horrible. So this actually spurred my interest in flowers. Yeah I'm sorry but I wasn't born with this passion haha. Anyway, ever since then I have been obsessed with floral design. I've taken classes, read books, practiced at my home, etc. I began to feel like this was my calling so with the encouragement of my husband I started my business and YES I do pay business taxes!!! I have actually put a lot of time and money into this venture and hope that it is successful. I continue to seek knowledge and information in the floral industry and go to lunch with other florists seeking their advice as well as continuing to expand my education by frequently taking floral design classes. My MBA has helped me to start this business and my marketing background helped me learn design and I am able to design logos, letterheads, etc.( I designed my business logo). So i don't regret not majoring in floral management in college because i would not have the skills in other areas that I have today.
Not that this was any of your business but I just thought I would go on and let you know who I am.

Reactions: 3 people
:bouquet2:
An MBA and still wanting to be in this business??? :bouncy:
The reasons for the questions is and has been, those who just want to "play with flowers" and come here for tips. Those are the people we just don't want to give our gut theories, strengths and weaknesses to. Therefore, the reason for the questions and probationary time.
I know a great many people who are freelance designers, consultants, and event florists. They pay business taxes, business advertising, business phone, etc. Those are things that those of us with "brick and mortar" stores have to deal with in opposition to those who "play with flowers". Those who work in their homes with no business overhead, taxes, etc called "basement betties" take business from legitimate florists in the real world. Granted there are probably lots of basement betties who produce beautiful work as opposed to the "playing with flowers" shops who have NO education, design experience, or business savvy and yet are still a brick and mortar business.
I believe the question posed above, where do you want to see your business in 5 years is a good question. How do you want to grow? Do you envision a storefront promoting your work? Employees?
Dang, an MBA and still wants to be in this business !! :)

I do undertand everyone's concern so here is the story:I went to a University and received a degree in marketing and then went on to get my MBA. While I was at the University I did take a floral design class. Anyway, after I graduated I landed a great job in marketing with great pay. I got married shortly after that and I hated my wedding because of my florist. I shutter to think how bad the flowers were haha. She actually showed my what she was going to design and she didn't do it at all and the flowers were horrible. So this actually spurred my interest in flowers. Yeah I'm sorry but I wasn't born with this passion haha. Anyway, ever since then I have been obsessed with floral design. I've taken classes, read books, practiced at my home, etc. I began to feel like this was my calling so with the encouragement of my husband I started my business and YES I do pay business taxes!!! I have actually put a lot of time and money into this venture and hope that it is successful. I continue to seek knowledge and information in the floral industry and go to lunch with other florists seeking their advice as well as continuing to expand my education by frequently taking floral design classes. My MBA has helped me to start this business and my marketing background helped me learn design and I am able to design logos, letterheads, etc.( I designed my business logo). So i don't regret not majoring in floral management in college because i would not have the skills in other areas that I have today.
Not that this was any of your business but I just thought I would go on and let you know who I am.

This is the understatement of the year....

I am so sorry your wedding flowers were a mess and not what you wanted...This is the exact reason we ask these questions...There are so many people that just open a flower store without any clue, when their business is in a shambles they want people like us to give them pointers and tips as to how to make it better. We are here to pool our knowledge not to teach basics....Sounds like you may have a thing or two to teach us florists with no marketing background...A classic give and take situation, I would not mind teaching you a thing or two on my end, if you share your knowledge on your end..Welcome again to flowerchat, where great things happen everyday...

What an intro! I would venture to say that 90% of us were not born with the passion of flowers, but grew into it. Like Lori and Rhonda both said - there are so many people who think it would be "fun" and "creative" to work in this industry, and don't have any clue as to how to run a business. Sounds like your wedding florists was one of those types ;).

We ask questions because, frankly, there are many who stumble upon flowerchat who have no business being here. Like Victoria said, I'm sorry if the questions seem intrusive, but that's how flowerchat is set up - we ask the questions, you answer truthfully, and you're in or out based upon a vote of members.
Actually, your entry into this very valued place is precisely our business. I feel this place has a lot to offer someone new like you, someone old like me, and all in between. You may have something to offer to us as well - I hope we'll see that.
:)
welcome,
tracy

BTW, you still haven't answere if you have a cooler for your storage, or are you not set up to the point of actually working with fresh product yet?

Meridith as I stated above the questions would seem invasive and perhaps none of our business, but we really do want to protect the information that is so freely shared here by so many professionals who are members here. If you get a chance you should read the thread that Jon (bloomz) pointed out... many concerns were expressed there. You will also find my personal opinion on the matter there as well.

As far as your answer above, I really am satisfied with your business accumen and desire to run a successful business... like Rhonda said an MBA and you want to be in this industry... good for you, and the industry.:)

I would still like to know where you see yourself and your business in five years time.

Kind Regards.

Victoria (who is happy to welcome you aboard the board)

This is the understatement of the year....

I am so sorry your wedding flowers were a mess and not what you wanted...This is the exact reason we ask these questions...There are so many people that just open a flower store without any clue, when their business is in a shambles they want people like us to give them pointers and tips as to how to make it better. We are here to pool our knowledge not to teach basics....Sounds like you may have a thing or two to teach us florists with no marketing background...A classic give and take situation, I would not mind teaching you a thing or two on my end, if you share your knowledge on your end..Welcome again to flowerchat, where great things happen everyday...
I am so sorry your wedding flowers were a mess and not what you wanted

You know, I think everything happens for a reason. :)

Thank you so much for the kindness though and I will be more than willing to help anyone with their marketing needs. I am always willing to help! All you have to do is ask.

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.