"Hidden History"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victoria

Oct 31, 2002
London
State / Prov
Ontario
This promises to be an interesting read. :)

V

'Hidden History' tells forgotten stories about America's past

By Joseph B. Frazier, The Associated Press

"America's Hidden History" (Smithsonian Books)
By Kenneth C. Davis

In the 1775 Revolutionary War battle on Breed's Hill, which most people call Bunker Hill, Dr. Joseph Warren, a colonial general fond of togas, fell dead with a British musket ball in his head. There were no government provisions for his children back then, so a promising colonial officer vowed to see that they were provided for.

A gentleman to the marrow in his bones, our Benedict Arnold.

Kenneth Davis, author of the bestselling "Don't Know Much About" series, merrily removes the whitewash from an often-bland concept of the past, peeling people from their statues with tales of how some of the most famous Americans of whom you never heard shaped the United States.

The takeaway here is that history can be a lot of fun. And in "Hidden History" it is, although it's no fluff piece. It traces interesting patterns of how single events with not much to link them often evolved into greater ones. The stories here were never secret but most of them are, as the title suggests, forgotten.

More's the pity.

But like childbirth, Davis writes, the birth of America was messy, painful and sometimes tragic.

He describes the country's infancy not as a love fest of Pilgrims and Indians, but as one of continued strife and bloodshed, often between groups murderously certain that the others' theology wasn't straight. At times, the religious persecution seems to have topped what the colonists fled England to avoid.

Long forgotten are the horrendous massacres of French settlers, many unarmed prisoners, by Spaniards in Florida in the 1500s on grounds that the French were infidel Lutherans (they weren't, but never mind). The French retaliated.

What the French probably were, Davis argues, is the real first pilgrims. The Mayflower batch didn't show up for decades.

King Philip's War in the 1700s killed thousands of colonists as well as Indians. It is largely forgotten, as are many upheavals like it. It was triggered when three tribesmen were convicted and executed on flimsy evidence for the murder of one John Sassamon, a Harvard University-educated "praying Indian."

Was George Washington, the Father of our Country, a war criminal? Davis makes an interesting case.

In 1754, he was a young officer still in the service of the Crown in the Ohio Valley when he jumped the gun on the French-Indian War. Washington apparently was persuaded by a co-operative Indian dubbed Half King that a small French encampment was an advance party for a French invasion.

Half King didn't like the French much, apparently believing they had boiled and eaten his father. Washington attacked, retreated, surrendered and was captured, gaining a formal "parole" from the French after promising not to fight for a year. That was on a July 4, a date yet to become famous.

In the letter of parole he signed, he confessed to murdering a French diplomat in the fray, then considered cause for war. For the rest of his life, he swore he didn't understand what he had signed.

the entire world has an ugly past really......

The USA is no exception... But I love being an American. I feel very fortunate to have been born here.

the entire world has an ugly past really......

The USA is no exception... But I love being an American. I feel very fortunate to have been born here.

You're absolutely right... history is often unkind. I just like having the knowledge. :)

V

Thanks for the history lesson V.

You're absolutely right... history is often unkind. I just like having the knowledge. :)

V

I have read His book " Don't know much about history " and have used it many times as an added teaching tool with my daughter learning American History from Kindergarten on. It should be an interesting read. I can give you many more on American History if you are really interested in knowledge.

However, they are not all fact, and have some elaboration of truths or 1/2 truths according to those that have written the history in another way or actually said about his writings. But he does have interesting writing skills.

America was being oppressed by the English with outrageous taxes and representation. There for they were actually defending their right to freedom which they were promised in the new land. Now as for the charges against Washington, I had no idea about the parole, however I did know about the attack. Built his prominence in the American Army for sure. If you really want to see some awful beginnings, middles, and near ends read the history of the Catholic church. Makes the Americans look like pacifist.

The funniest thing is how did a country, newly formed by outcasts, soldiers, and adventurers turn out to be the greatest country in the world. Dare say religious freedom?

God Bless America. Go for the Gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.