Article Honest Florist and other Order Gatherers...

BOSS

FlowerChat Administrator
Oct 31, 2002
Midland
www.smithsflowers.com
State / Prov
MI
I started a new thread for this one because I wanted to make sure that those involved saw it, and that FTD, Teleflora and the folks from the other two saw it too.

Honest Florist, as we all know, is not so honest these days. Knowing Aron will see this, let me save you a phone call, don't bother, I'm out of town til Monday... look at this page carefully: http://www.sendflowers-onlinefloriststore-delivery.com/ ........ I estimate there are perhaps 5000 of these pages of various configurations... when you click the link to enter the "store" it goes through lynksynergy... a PPC outfit.

Next we have Discount Flowers with URL's based in Nassau Bahamas as evidenced here: http://flint-discount-flower-delivery.com/ ..... this is a local listing for me found through a Google search today for the terms 'discount flowers, flint' check your city. We have found many of these listing throughout the US the last couple weeks, even in cities where we *know* there is NO florist. All have local addresses and unlisted phone numbers, many using addresses that exist, but in cities that have no local shop. When you call the numbers listed they either do not answer, or they ring repeatedly until they click over to a busy signal.

Doing a Google search for 'discount flowers, city name' or 'cheap flowers, city name' and these folks have the top spot in every search I did. And we know cash strapped consumers will more and more be doing these types of keyword searches as their wallets shrink.

FTD is helping to get these orders placed according to those in control of these domains at the FTD Top Member trip last week. It'll be interesting to see them outed....

Kudo's to Teleflora for separating themselves from these folks.

Urban Florist is alive and well... as we know they reconstituted themselves as e-floristinc.com and while they WERE a Teleflora member in the beginning, they were cut loose long ago, and no reside with Floral Source, in their stable of order gatherers. FSI these days chooses to fax their orders out as company orders as far as I can tell (could be wrong, I was once) both to CLOAK where they really originate from and knowing that upwards of 16-22% will never be reported for payment, thus they make 100% profit on those unreported orders.

More to come later today as I do some more digging.

And some folks wonder why I cut the cord with the wires... putooie

Ya'll keep filling for these thieves, and at the same time whine about not making any money. Filling ANY **Company Order** is NOT in the best interest of your business. But you go ahead and keep telling yourself the incremental-marginal-non-existent-meager NET Profit is worth killing the industry...

Putooie-putooie... don't come whining to me, I have no patience for those who fill rather than stand up and say no...and then complain about how bad business is.

Here's one for the UK folks...

Does Arena Flowers really deliver to all these cities?

http://www.arenaflowers.com/keywords

I have to admit, I've never seen a site that has a page listing their keywords... that's a new one by me...

Let's change the vernacular and have look see who's targeting INEXPENSIVE Flowers -all the usual suspects...of course...

I've gotta stop for today, I'm making myself sick...

But before I go for today...

I can't totally let Teleflora off the hook... they seem to still be doing business with Florist Express as evidenced by this page, that even goes so far as to give a discount based on me being a Google customer... funny, it did the same thing when I was using Opera too... seems they found a new angle (lie) to entice CONsumers into shopping at their site rather than finding your shop directly...

Ya'll keep filling ya hear....

Reactions: Eric S
Mark,

Not to dispute the ugliness of what you're seeing, just to add some context: Most of those Honest Florist examples are affiliate sites. There is certainly an aspect of being known by the company you keep, but all the same it's not necessarily the OG doing the sketchy stuff. Nothing is preventing a florist from operating an affiliate program, which could be done for less than what you pay to a wire service (which really isn't that far off from affiliate marketing) :)

Reactions: BOSS
But companies are responsible for the actions of their affiliates and they certainly can see the referrer links - and the source of them.

"Plausible deniability" ranks right there with the WebLoyalty-types hauled before Congress - where companies tried to take the money and then blame someone else for the scams.

Ryan... thanks for the context correction, and yes many florists could well use these same schemes... hopefully listing real locations to further their businesses.

I spoke to 3 florists yesterday that really had little knowledge as to where the *company orders* they fill really come from...

Just carrying on my role of Town Crier..... trying to keep folks heads in the game....

Ya'll keep filling for these thieves, and at the same time whine about not making any money. Filling ANY **Company Order** is NOT in the best interest of your business. .

What would be the shop name of Honest Florist if they sent an order to my Merc? I try to weed them out and only fill for the legit florists.

What would be the shop name of Honest Florist if they sent an order to my Merc? I try to weed them out and only fill for the legit florists.
The ones that come through uncloaked come as Inflorescence or Esflorencense or some dang thing like that...have to try and find the exact thing later today for ya...

But companies are responsible for the actions of their affiliates and they certainly can see the referrer links - and the source of them.

"Plausible deniability" ranks right there with the WebLoyalty-types hauled before Congress - where companies tried to take the money and then blame someone else for the scams.

Actually, more often than not they don't see the referrers. Most affiliates use tracking redirects and optimizer scripts that would render referral tracking useless. Beyond that, the sheer volume of referral links can be enormous and scanning through them (let alone examining each site) is quite the daunting prospect.

I'm not defending the practice - just providing perspective.

Boss,

I am trying like heck just to fill for real florists...I do still fill some TF.com orders and notice that when I get my statement, it has a city of origin. What is that telling me? Is it not really a teleflora.com order could it be coming from one of these gatherers...I am trying like heck to not be part of the problem, all the while trying to keep my pos and website and TF for all the tech reasons, but they aren't making it easy....sometimes I feel I need to take these TF.com orders just to move the product I have sitting here and to pay for the service I have...I am one step closer by offing 800-flowers, but TF I am much more into for many many reasons...

Lori, I don't know... it could be their customers location.... but I wonder why they would include such information... Nicole?

I'll check with my contacts at TF, but probably won't have an answer for a few days...

Does Arena Flowers really deliver to all these cities?

http://www.arenaflowers.com/keywords

I have to admit, I've never seen a site that has a page listing their keywords... that's a new one by me...

Arena flowers does actually deliver to all those locations. Some areas are only next day service though. AFAIK, they do a really great job, but some of the local UK florists might disagree...

Filler Fools beware... or Be Aware...

Next we have Discount Flowers with URL's based in Nassau Bahamas as evidenced here: http://flint-discount-flower-delivery.com/ ..... this is a local listing for me found through a Google search today for the terms 'discount flowers, flint' check your city. We have found many of these listing throughout the US the last couple weeks, even in cities where we *know* there is NO florist. All have local addresses and unlisted phone numbers, many using addresses that exist, but in cities that have no local shop. When you call the numbers listed they either do not answer, or they ring repeatedly until they click over to a busy signal.
Just an update...

A recent test order placed a couple weeks ago resulted in an order flowing through FloralSource via FAX to a local flower shop for delivery. The order totaled over $68.00 including 8% Florida sales tax (?) and the receiving florist got an order for $40.00 including delivery. These sites charge a $16.00 "delivery charge" last I looked. They keep it.

I'm not 100% (yet) but I'm pretty sure this is our Russian friend Yuri... those of you that have been around for a while will remember him as WHOSENTFLOWERS from a couple years back in Philadelphia...

Hey Mark did you look at the about us page? here is what they claim:

Aron Benon
CEO of Honest Florist

Shop
Floral & Hardy 1987-2000

Florist.com 1997-2004

HonestFlorist.com
HonestFlorist.com 2008 - Present

Aron Benon, a well-known, floral entrepreneur and e-commerce pioneer, launched Honest Florist in November of 2008. Currently serving as the company’s CEO, Aron has been in the floral industry for almost three decades and is committed to making Honest Florist unparalleled in terms of customer service, accountability, unique incentives, regional pricing and floral quality.

Aron previously served as CEO of Florist.com, which he built from a fledging URL into one of the world’s leading online floral websites. Aron sold the highly successful Florist.com to FTD in 2004.

Deciding the time was right to return to his love of the flower business, Aron created Honest Florist to operate and feel just like a real, brick and mortar flower shop. With new, customer-friendly initiatives such as the Honest Florist Flower Pool, Regional Pricing, Perfect Places, Plant a Tree, and Lower/Raise This Price, Honest Florist is poised to change the way America sends flowers.

Other Services
Are you a Florist?
If you would like to become one of our preferred filling florists and/or if you would like to start receiving orders from us, please contact us at [email protected].

Are you a Product Vendor?
If you have a product that might fit with our product mix, please email us at [email protected]. Please provide a brief description of the product and your contact information.

The HONESTFLORIST.COM Satisfaction Guarantee
At Honest Florist, we aim to please by providing exceptional quality, value and customer service. If you are not completely satisfied with your order, we'll redeliver, refund, credit or offer a comparable exchange.

Company Info and Locations
Honest Florist headquarters are in Irvine, California (Orange County). You can reach our corporate headquarters by mail or phone:

Call to Order: 1-800-700-1985
Customer Service: 1-888-846-1810

16 Technology
Suite 173
Irvine, CA 92618

Reactions: anytimeflowers
I'll try to find out, too. This is the first time I've heard of that, but I'm not a POS expert by any stretch.

Lori, I don't know... it could be their customers location.... but I wonder why they would include such information... Nicole?

I'll check with my contacts at TF, but probably won't have an answer for a few days...

Thanks Nicole...

And Keith... yep, I saw that long ago.... to use a phrase from my Grandpa... "it's all Hogwash"....

I (...) notice that when I get my statement, it has a city of origin. What is that telling me? Is it not really a teleflora.com order could it be coming from one of these gatherers...

Okay, so my gut instinct was correct - if you've got a TF.com order on your statement, the city of origin is the home city of the person sending the bouquet (city associated with their billing address, anyway). It's kind of only there because it was there when we set up the statement data collection and nobody saw any reason to remove it. With that said, we don't actively manage what shows up there, so we're really not sure if it would show you anything about whether an order originated with an order gatherer...

Hope that's helpful in some small way. Of course, now that we've raised the issue, it may or may not change in the future to read 'Los Angeles' on statements at some date in the future, if the order came from TF.com. :)