Status
Not open for further replies.

theflowersmith

Dec 13, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
www.theflowersmith.com
State / Prov
PA
This has probably been discussed many times here, but I have a real concern when designing with Hydrangea in foam. I was burned doing a wedding some years back. We made it through the wedding just fine, but I was shocked when I went back to pick things up. The Hydrangea were shriveled up.

I have no problem doing hand tieds with hydrangea and advising the bride to put them in water when they bouquets are not being used. Lately, though, many of my brides want them in tall centerpieces where I'll need to use oasis. Can you offer advice? How soon during the week can we begin designing? How long can I expect the pieces to look good at the reception. My new designer never heard of any problems at a large event florist she last worked at, but, alas, that shop is no longer in business!

I might add that we also did a recent funeral where the visitation lasted two days. After the fact, the customer told me the Hydrangea looked bad at the second day's visitation. I asked her why she didn't call right away and she replied that she didn't want to bother me. I explained that I would have gladly replaced it had I known.

Okay, so I've been burned twice and have a real concern here. Need your input.

Anyone who has worked for me knows how big of a stickler I a when it comes to Hydrangea and event work. You have to have a good water source and the stems need to be below the water line. Still several weeks ago I caught a freelancer who I have chewed out before over this inserted a Hydrangea into the top of the foam and pulled it back a bit. YOU CANT BREAK CONTACT WITH THE FOAM. Grrrr.

I never, never, never put Hydrangea in foam directly. However I did do a big event with huge wine glasses that I filled with lemons and then just put the oasis at the very top. I made sure the hydrangea were pushed down in, threw the bottom of the oasis completely and into the water. So, I pretty much use the oasis as a support for a big design but I always make sure the hydrangea stems are directly in the water.
I haven't used any of those aqua pearl things, maybe someone has some advice there as to their experience. Hydrangea are very fussy sometimes, so i just don't take the chance.

I've had good luck using Quick Dip to first hydrate my hydrangeas and then if using in foam, using Quick Dip after each stem is cut and before inserted into foam. I won't say you'll get a week out of them, but definitely a few days. You might try experimenting with it.

Still several weeks ago I caught a freelancer who I have chewed out before over this inserted a Hydrangea into the top of the foam and pulled it back a bit. YOU CANT BREAK CONTACT WITH THE FOAM. Grrrr.

that and the designers need to learn to cut above the node, not below it!

Hydrangeas are no problem, as long as you have water. If Oasis is allowed to get unwet, there will be problems. Casket Sprays are a good example, even though I still use them in Cs's.

If I could ever get hold of Susan Ayala AIFD, She tells of a method for treating hydrangeas......in foam for the Rose Parade....that has them lasting in foam for a week or more.

I may try to contact Jim Hynde AIFD as well.....see if he can tell us how.

we use hydrangeas in foam quite often we re cut the stems use quick dip and insert in the foam...making sure the foam stays wet...we then spray all of the hydrangeas with aqua finish..we have not had a problem with the hydrangea lasting 4-5 days
Becky

I am glad I saw this post.

I have a bride that I am just starting with that wants hydrangea in a cascade bouquet. I may have to re-think this. Her attendants are holding handtied bouquets with hydrangea which I have done before, but I have never done a cascade with hydrangea. hmmmm, I may need to take out the hydrangea from her bouquet or convince her to go handtied with hers.

Thanks.

that and the designers need to learn to cut above the node, not below it!

Hydrangeas are no problem, as long as you have water. If Oasis is allowed to get unwet, there will be problems. Casket Sprays are a good example, even though I still use them in Cs's.

Joe I will admit, I don't know about cutting above the node. Aren't there nodes at every point where the leaves have been stripped?

Alum, like you use for pickles? do you put the stem in the powder directly or mix it in water? Hmmm....and you have NEVER lost a hydrangea blossom?
do tell.
Yes, the alum like you use for pickles. I pour a bit of the powder in a little
bowl. Whenever I cut a hydrangea , I dip the bottom of the stem in the alum
before I place in the vase.

After all I have learned here, I'm doing a test at the shop. Friday around noon I cut a hydrangea, gave it an arrowhead cut plus slit the stem a bit, dipped it in Quick Dip and placed it in Oasis below the water line. On Saturday at 2 p.m., it still looked perfect. Can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow when we go in.

Carrieann: You might be able to do a combination hand-tied /cascade for the bride. Leave the hydrangea at the top and wire and tape the cascade (like an elongated corsage). Then try inserting the cascade part into the hand-tied and wire and tape again. The cascade part would not be in water, but you could choose other suitable flowers that would work. ;)

What Susie does is to soak the whole hydrangea in H20 for a couple of hours. Don't remember doing anything else. We totally soak a lot of flowers at Fiesta Parade Floats. All of our tropicals - heliconia, birds, orchids.

I soak, use quick dip, than a quick dip in alum.
I also use South American Hydrangeas rather than California.
They hold up better in our dry Colorado Climate.

I use hydgrangeas in foam for funeral work all the time.

I cut them short and insert the heads right up to the foam.
I leave very little stem-the head sits right on the foam, right to the water source.
No problems. Use them in wreath, hearts, and casket saddles.
Love the texture they create.

See in pic, down deep.

Attachments

• 100_5630.jpg
    100_5630.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: marie g bushnell
I've noticed quite a few FCers use Alum for Hydrangea. Exactly what does it do? Can you use it for other flowers too?

I saw a thread a while back about using starch on hydrangea that is not connected to a water source....sounds wild...has anyone tried this?

Carrieann: You might be able to do a combination hand-tied /cascade for the bride. Leave the hydrangea at the top and wire and tape the cascade (like an elongated corsage). Then try inserting the cascade part into the hand-tied and wire and tape again. The cascade part would not be in water, but you could choose other suitable flowers that would work. ;)

This gives me an idea. What if I did the bouquet in a holder for the cascade and added the hydrangea at the top but didn't put it into the foam, leave the stems out like inferno did with her round bouquet?

Anyone think this might work????
I would love to give my bride what she wants.

Just got back from the bridal show with Susan Ayala and she went into hydrangeas quite a bit, I took a few notes and will try to write what she said she does and has had great success with hydrangeas in foam.

She first recommends the hydrangeas with tight heads as opposed to the ones that are more floppy. As soon as you can, soak the heads in water for anywhere from 10 mins to an hour, then immediately give a fresh cut, 2" off the end and then place the fresh cut end in very HOT, not boiling, plain, water and leave until the water cools. Then give another fresh cut of 2" and place as usual in treated water and put in the cooler. She said flowers treated like this lasted a week on the float sitting out, then she treated them again with the whole process and they lasted another 2 weeks in her house.

She also said that bouts treated this way lasted really well but she said to bunch the blooms up short and tie off the little florets close to the head before using, also on cakes, etc. out of water. She uses hydrangea in oasis all the time and you can use oasis glue on the end of the stem before arranging in the bridal holder, seals in moisture as well as spraying with CG or whatever. Don't think she's tried alum but has heard it helps.

I've always heard that using cutters as opposed to a knife is better as well.
The idea of doing bouts this way interests me and I want to try to experiment at some point.

Thanks to Susan for a great presentation and to Teleflora for allowing her to come, also to the local gals that helped organise it, beautiful setting.

Pardon if anything is typed wrong, just got back in from an 18 hour day.

Trish

Reactions: theflowersmith
Status
Not open for further replies.