Hydrangea in oasis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like that info on how to handle hydrangeas when you make your contact. I mostly use hydrangeas only in water and that goes for gerbers too. They just don't like foam. I so spray the heads to death with crowning glory and that seems to help with the wedding bouquets.

Marie

Carianne,

Whenever we do a cascade, I always use the large bouq. holder. We cover the back with glued on fresh ivy leaves and tape rose stems (we have saved in the cooler) around the plastic handle for a natural bouquet look, but having the safety of a wet foam holder.
Is the entire bouquet All Hydrangeas? If it is, were you going to cut and piece the hydrangea florets to trailing ivy for the cascade? If not, what flowers were you using for the cascade?
I have used pcs of hydrangeas with a rose for a bout. and I sprayed them with crowning glory and they were crisp the next day for the wedding. Another time, the hydrangea part of the bout shriveled and I had to add a fresh hydrangea to the rose bout.
I don't even recommend this to the brides. I would only do this type of bout the night before the event.

Marie

Carianne,

Whenever we do a cascade, I always use the large bouq. holder. We cover the back with glued on fresh ivy leaves and tape rose stems (we have saved in the cooler) around the plastic handle for a natural bouquet look, but having the safety of a wet foam holder.
Is the entire bouquet All Hydrangeas? If it is, were you going to cut and piece the hydrangea florets to trailing ivy for the cascade? If not, what flowers were you using for the cascade?
I have used pcs of hydrangeas with a rose for a bout. and I sprayed them with crowning glory and they were crisp the next day for the wedding. Another time, the hydrangea part of the bout shriveled and I had to add a fresh hydrangea to the rose bout.
I don't even recommend this to the brides. I would only do this type of bout the night before the event.

Marie

The hydrangea is only on the top of the bouquet. I am cascading with roses, callas, orchids, etc... She only wants a couple hydrangea but she does want them.

I do my bouquets in holders the same way you do. I was thinking if I just tuck the head into the bouquet and leave the stem out along side the holder it would be able to drink in a vase.

inferno has a thread right now where she did something similar to this.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm using alum for the first time this week. I have to put hydrangea in foam (Lord help me). I have used quick dip and alum while they're sitting in a vase, shoulid I use again before inserting in the foam? Thanks.

I don't know if it would work for hydrangeas......but a technique we used to do to make bouquets hold well was plastic bags.

We would make the bouquet.....either a hand-tied or a bouquet holder......if hand-tied, it was placed in water, We then took a large plastic bag, misted the inside of the bag with water, put the bouquet inside......then blow up the bag with air and tie it off when full.....and then put the whole thing in the cooler.

We would do the bouquet on Wednesday/Thursday for a Saturday wedding......When we unwrapped the bouquet.....the flower tissues were crisp, turgid, and held better than if we made the bouquet same day.

After all I have learned here, I'm doing a test at the shop. Friday around noon I cut a hydrangea, gave it an arrowhead cut plus slit the stem a bit, dipped it in Quick Dip and placed it in Oasis below the water line. On Saturday at 2 p.m., it still looked perfect. Can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow when we go in.

After doing the test above, our hydrangea lasted 10 days!

Trish,

Thanks for all that info on hydrangea care. I'm just picking them from my garden for vase arrangements, but I'm going to experiment with the tips you gave.

Marie

Status
Not open for further replies.