I Miss This Forum

SLevi

Apr 27, 2012
Houston
www.scentandviolet.com
State / Prov
TX
This was truly a place where I was able to learn so much. Another important aspect of my learning process was friendly, motivating community absolutely willing to share knowledge.
Let me share a story: Some months ago, at the floral expo I had a pleasure to share the table with some old friends, and some new ones. The new ones at our table were very young couple that just joined our industry. She expressed her eagerness to learn, not just about design but the shop management too, however she was finding it very difficult to find training/support channels.
Of course, whole bunch of us started listing schools/people/courses, etc. Unfortunately, since I am not a person that thinks before speaking I blurted out: "Check out FlowerChat. It's a great community, but under no circumstances are you to join any Facebook florists groups." Her response to my blurb: "Thank God. I thought I was the only one who found those groups to be very counterproductive." From the mouth of the child....
Don't get me wrong. I am a member of many of those groups. I love looking at all the arrangements from different florists, different parts of the world...but I find it very difficult to learn anything at such groups. Here, at this forum people communicated. I felt like I was a part of big florist family and, I learned so much.
I cannot stop feeling sad that we are not keeping this forum more active. Not for our sake, but for the sake of the younger generation.

Thanks, Amra. I feel the same way. I'm also guilty of not spending as much time here as I should. Between client work, the magazine, and the flower shop, I'm pulled in a lot of directions ... but we're all busy. Somehow Facebook is like the fast food of online discussion. It's easy, convenient, and doesn't stick around long. The effort is minimal, but the result is marginal as well. But busy people can be seduced by the easy things; it's human nature.